[Prot] Heroic 25 to Heroic 10 - HA advice

So my guild went from 10/14 Heroic 25 to what will soon be a Heroic 10 man guild. We have lost a lot of players due to a combination of 5.4 being out for so long, and not fielding enough heroic level players in our heroic 25. We now just want to clear Heroic SoO pre 6.0, even if it means doing it as a 10 man.

So my reason for posting. Looking for some basic strats and numbers for Tanking H10 man. I'm a pretty good tank, and eventually would figure out these things in my own time, but with the amount of time wasted trying to clear it on 25 man, I'd rather my learning curve not attribute to more wipes than needed.

My biggest question is the use of Holy Avenger. I've never once taken this talent. I tanked 10 man normal without it, and 25 normal/Heroic with out ever using it. Our Monk tank solo'd the blood rage on 25H Malkorok, And we were still learning Thok when the guild started to fall apart.

Which fights should I be using it on? When is a good time to use it?

Which fights can I solo tank (if any)? We lost our Blood DK and BrM Monk. A Fury warrior with Prot OS will be stepping up, only out of necessity. He dislikes tanking and would much rather be swinging 2Hers.

My Armoury
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...doran/advanced

I'm over 50% haste, while maintaining Hit and Exp caps and a T16 4p bonus and using tank cloak.

I know the weapon sucks. But had bollocks for luck on Blackfuse getting the drill. Only saw it drop twice, normal and a WF. Both went to friends guildmates brought along when we had open spots. Had a few HWF swords drop off of Norushen, but they all when to our Frost DK, and our Blood DK's OS (DPS get weapons first imo).

I also have a Heroic Rooks trinket, and a Normal Vial, if those would be considered useful in anyway. I never bothered with them. Let the HWF versions go to the other tanks and then a few off spec tanks.

Anyways, thanks for any tips. Really not looking forward to 10 mans, but no other real choice still 6.0 comes about.

Deleted
    The only fights I used HA on was Malkorok for the bloodrage but that can be covered with SW if you have the Malkorok trinket and I used it for Siegecrafter Heroic for burst damage on shreddars, but that was pre-nerf in 543 item level so I probably would not bother with that now as even then it was possible without it. It was just more reliable burst with it.

If you do not like HA you never need to use it really.

Like Firefly and many other posters here I only use HA when soaking Blood Rage. I am a 25H raider but I see no reason why 10H would be any different for L75 talents. It'd be the other way around on Malkorok. You would probably be able to pull off Blood Rage 10H without having full 20s SotR coverage, though that might mean using Heroic Rook's for the redux.

I may find myself in the same boat as you, since our 25H team has had severe attendance problems for quite a while now; it's to the point now where we cannot field a full team on progression so we've had to halt/abandon progression. 10H to clear is a real possibility.

We dropped down to 10H months ago for the purpose of killing Malk, since we had horrible attendance problems around Christmas. I found Malk, and all the previous bosses, very trivial compared to their 25H counterparts. You'll notice that the damage is much less threatening and the mechanics more manageable, e.g. Malkorok there's only one add that spawns.

Ok - I've heard what I thought was Heroic 10M Prot Pallys solo tanking Malk, Thok, and Garrosh using HA. Wasn't sure if it was a true solo tank kill, or just "solo'd the important stuff while an off tank /dance".

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks

Solo tanking Malk would be very difficult as a paladin I suspect. You'd go into Blood Rage with 30+ stacks which would hurt a lot, not to mention all the time you're on the boss taking increased melee damage. They probably meant solo tanking Blood Rage.

10H tanks on here used HA to solo tank Thok, and I can understand why. There's so much downtime on Thok that cooldowns like HA gain value. I considered using it at first on Thok 25H and then remembered I hate HA passionately so I just decided to play better/pay more attention. If I were solo tanking I'd probably grab it for phase 1.

So if you guys don't use HA, what's your choice?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Real1sity View Post
    So if you guys don't use HA, what's your choice?
    DP or SW :P

In terms of ranking(even progression) I used DP on everything except using HA onMalk(used it on pull and during blood rage), Thok(all non kite phases if you push phases long enough), Garrosh - DP or HA is viable... in terms of Max DPS HA seems to be clear winner for rank but either talent works i've used both on that fight many times each.

At your gear level you can go Haste to 21250 > Crit for 10 man.

Get H Thok + H Skeers / H Cleave for most fights. Vial is really only useful on Malk(if pushing lots of stacks if doing 15/15 solo blood rage use Skeers), Thok, Paragons, Garrosh.

Good to know. Are you solo tanking Thok as well? I think he will be next on list for our 10 man progression.

Do you use skeer's simply for the dps boost? Had a normal WF version. Would rather keep HTF Spark for the 50% haste for now. Not interested in ranking. Just want the kills.

Maybe if I get a drill from Siegecrafter....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    DP or SW :P
    Little bit more detail why would be nice :P

Deleted
    Little bit more detail why would be nice :P
    Well I used DP for every boss except Malkorok where I used HA before I got CDR trinket and SW after that.

Well I used DP for every boss except Malkorok where I used HA before I got CDR trinket and SW after that.
    Well, i don't know, I used HA on every Boss in SoO during our Progress Phase and i did good with it, I tested DP on Garrosh HC the first couple of tries, but it's rng :O

Deleted
    Well, i don't know, I used HA on every Boss in SoO during our Progress Phase and i did good with it, I tested DP on Garrosh HC the first couple of tries, but it's rng :O
    Choosing a talent is not black or white. You can do 14/14H while using only SW, you can also do it using only DP aswell as using only HA. I just said what I did.
    Just pick whatever you feel comfortable with since unless you are in like 540-560 item level for heroic contet your choice barely have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    Good to know. Are you solo tanking Thok as well? I think he will be next on list for our 10 man progression.

Do you use skeer's simply for the dps boost? Had a normal WF version. Would rather keep HTF Spark for the 50% haste for now. Not interested in ranking. Just want the kills.

Maybe if I get a drill from Siegecrafter....
    Yes for the DPS boost. I have been just under haste cap since T15 and hit it with a couple SoO peices and was able to remove spark forever. I use 200 haste food and 750 haste and armor elixirs in 10 man.

Choosing a talent is not black or white. You can do 14/14H while using only SW, you can also do it using only DP aswell as using only HA. I just said what I did.
    Just pick whatever you feel comfortable with since unless you are in like 540-560 item level for heroic contet your choice barely have an impact.
    I really felt comfortable with HA during Progression. I also really like the burst with it, if you can call it burst.
    Last edited by Real1sity; 2014-05-13 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    So my guild went from 10/14 Heroic 25 to what will soon be a Heroic 10 man guild. We have lost a lot of players due to a combination of 5.4 being out for so long, and not fielding enough heroic level players in our heroic 25. We now just want to clear Heroic SoO pre 6.0, even if it means doing it as a 10 man.
    I don't think tanking changes all that much, there's some stuff you have to do that DPS might've done in 25, but nothing major (stuff like opening prisons on Sha).

Now your healers, they'll be in for a lot of change. moving from 25 to 10 is a pretty sizable step in responsibility, and many fights you'll want to 2-heal so having a healer with a competent DPS spec will be a must.

Most bosses have been solo tanked successfully in 10m (though honestly some are simply easier with 2 tanks.) you'll probably need a 3rd tank for shamans still for sanity's sake.

I use HA for solo soaking Malkorok's Blood Rage. The way my guild does it, HA also lines up nicely for breath phases on Thok, so I use HA there as a solo tank. Everything else I use DP.

Saying that, I have forgotten to change talents a few times before pulling Thok, so DP is fine there too if you're confident.