Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    You don't know how right you are, and such an invention would be redundant anyway.

Concerning the article, does it say anywhere when the collapse started? Like in the last 50 years or so?
    If I'm reading this correctly, then it took 8 replies before someone suggested that I'll be the one finding out how wrong I am. Short answer: Nope. Long answer: Nooooooooope.

And if I totally missed your point, sorry.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-05-15 at 11:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

You don't know how right you are, and such an invention would be redundant anyway.

Concerning the article, does it say anywhere when the collapse started? Like in the last 50 years or so?
    1968 is the earliest warning I can see. There's been a lot of work done on it since. The most accurate mapping of it (specifically where the floating part meets the land part, and how that's changing) was done within the last few years.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, then it took 8 replies before someone suggested that I'll be the one finding out how wrong I am. Short answer: Nope. Long answer: Nooooooooope.

And if I totally missed your point, sorry.
    No, I said that you don't know how right you are.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    1968 is the earliest warning I can see. There's been a lot of work done on it since. The most accurate mapping of it (specifically where the floating part meets the land part, and how that's changing) was done within the last few years.
    So is there anything that tells us that this hasn't been slowly happening for the last few hundred years? Perhaps working more towards collapse at an exponential rate, but nevertheless the process beginning a much longer time ago?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    How much will it take for people to finally get it.
    I don't think that anyone would deny that it is possible for climate to change, and indeed climate does change naturally over time. I think the real question is how much, if at all, such changes are affected by purely man-caused contributions, and whether or not there is evidence that directly links said relatively small (compared to all of nature) contributions to this event directly.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

So is there anything that tells us that this hasn't been slowly happening for the last few hundred years? Perhaps working more towards collapse at an exponential rate, but nevertheless the process beginning a much longer time ago?
    I don't think so. It's very difficult to get under the floating part of the ice sheet to see exactly where it's touching land. The recent surveys did it with space and air observations. Result of observations: it appears to be happening. Conclusion: the rest of forced climate change will make it keep happening, faster. I don't think any article I've read claims this is a new thing, just that it's a thing and that it will get worse.

My position (I've stated before in this very thread... or maybe it was the other recent climate change thread) is that I don't care if it's natural or human. What I care about is how it will affect us and what, if anything, we can, if we should, do about it.

I don't think so. It's very difficult to get under the floating part of the ice sheet to see exactly where it's touching land. The recent surveys did it with space and air observations. Result of observations: it appears to be happening. Conclusion: the rest of forced climate change will make it keep happening, faster. I don't think any article I've read claims this is a new thing, just that it's a thing and that it will get worse.

My position (I've stated before in this very thread... or maybe it was the other recent climate change thread) is that I don't care if it's natural or human. What I care about is how it will affect us and what, if anything, we can, if we should, do about it.
    Everyone needs to stop drinking so much soda and add more water to their diet. Problem solved.

Also, I am no scientist and this is probably not really that brilliant of a question, but if the temperature does increase then wouldn't that mean that there would be more water going through evaporation and condensation more often on average? Not a meteorologist but doesn't increased temperature mean more water up in the air in clouds? Or is that already taken into account?
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-05-16 at 12:03 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Everyone needs to stop drinking so much soda and add more water to their diet. Problem solved.

Also, I am no scientist and this is probably not really that brilliant of a question, but if the temperature does increase then wouldn't that mean that there would be more water going through evaporation and condensation more often on average? Not a meteorologist but doesn't increased temperature mean more water up in the air in clouds? Or is that already taken into account?
    Ehh... you want me to pee more? :P

And yes, that's why it's Climate Change. Short version: as the average global temperature increases, there will be increasingly strange local weather (remember that weather does not equal climate).

Ehh... you want me to pee more? :P

And yes, that's why it's Climate Change. Short version: as the average global temperature increases, there will be increasingly strange local weather (remember that weather does not equal climate).
    I assume that the average rate of evaporation goes up at a different rate than the sea level given the same increase in temperature. Do we know what each rate is?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Average Joe can choose a more fuel efficient vehicle, choose to drive less often, choose to support legislators or legislation that promotes a transition to less CO2 intensive transportation/industry, etc. Hell, Average Joe can keep his car's tires inflated to the proper pressure.

Average Joe can, in fact, do stuff.
    Average Joe can also remove a cup of sand from the Sahara, don't mean it has any lasting effect. just sayin'

I assume that the average rate of evaporation goes up at a different rate than the sea level given the same increase in temperature. Do we know what each rate is?
    I personally don't have specific numbers on that, no. But what you're describing is a feedback loop, or runaway greenhouse effect. As the temperature rises, water evaporates. H2O is itself a greenhouse gas. Feedback. Keeps going. Suddenly* we're Venus.

*"Suddenly" being millions of years or more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deathgrip1092 View Post
    Average Joe can also remove a cup of sand from the Sahara, don't mean it has any lasting effect. just sayin'
    What if there were a few billion average joes?

15+ Year Old Account
    Who the fuck pissed off Jaina?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I personally don't have specific numbers on that, no. But what you're describing is a feedback loop, or runaway greenhouse effect. As the temperature rises, water evaporates. H2O is itself a greenhouse gas. Feedback. Keeps going. Suddenly* we're Venus.

*"Suddenly" being millions of years or more.
    Eventually, but it would lessen the effect of the sea level rise wouldn't it? I know we don't have the rates but it would have some effect, and are these studies taking that into account?

Eventually, but it would lessen the effect of the sea level rise wouldn't it? I know we don't have the rates but it would have some effect, and are these studies taking that into account?
    No, not so much. The extra evaporation would cause increasingly messed up weather systems. (Remember, air doesn't really hold all that much H20 at temperatures we experience; see, rain.)

No, not so much. The extra evaporation would cause increasingly messed up weather systems. (Remember, air doesn't really hold all that much H20 at temperatures we experience; see, rain.)
    But it would hold more if it was warmer and therefore the water in the clouds took longer to change from gas to a liquid state? Or is there something I am missing here?

But it would hold more if it was warmer and therefore the water in the clouds took longer to change from gas to a liquid state? Or is there something I am missing here?
    You're correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_greenhouse_effect

Probably won't happen on Earth.

Deleted
    good thing I can swim

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The oceans could rise 100 feet. Unless global warming signs its name, people will still insist it's not caused by people and there's nothing to be done about it.
    DESTROY HUMANITY, WE'RE OBVIOUSLY KILLING EARTH!!!

I can't believe you people are falling for this obvious scam.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another for your enjoyment:

Unsourced chart seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Unsourced chart seems legit.
    I'd guess that it is legit, but predicated on people ignoring context. Yeah, Greenland was fucking cold during the Ice Age. This is not news.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most common greenhouse gas being water vapor and that our atmosphere being mostly Nitrogen and Oxygen are accurate, but the percentage for that middle one seems off.

Oh,m this is why. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenho...eenhouse_gases Oxygen is between 32 and 72%, with CO2 being between 9 and 26%

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd guess that it is legit, but predicated on people ignoring context. Yeah, Greenland was fucking cold during the Ice Age. This is not news.
    greenland is the only place where reliable samples can be taken. or did rachel maddow not fill you in on that bit of info?

but keep believing in your silly global warming conspiracies, verified by bought and paid for 'scientists'. it's all about money, and you believers are being scammed.