10+ Year Old Account

Computer issue win 8.1 (freezing when first logging on)

My computer seems to have gained an annoying problem recently and my attempts at googling the error have been fruitless.

Every time i log in (either from shut down,restarting or just relogging) the desktop freezes for around 30 seconds meaning i can't click desktop icons, can't even select/drag or move them etc (can still use start screen though), then after 30 seconds it kind of speeds up to where it should be so if i clicked chrome 5 times while it wasn't responding then 5 chrome tabs will open and then everything works completely fine (until i log out/in again). I really don't want to do a system restore, so any other ideas? :/

15+ Year Old Account
    I had exactly same problem with win7, 30 sec uberpause, could do nothing, but decided to wipe my windows (tried to track what caused that ultralag in event viewer, %windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s , delete the newest drivers/programms but nothing helped ) anyway, try to check if u installed something that can cause such prob :< (win update, drivers, programs)
    But well, in the end...
    I just furiously formated c: the drive and bought win 8 :/ since then I have no problems ;(
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

So I'm having a very similar problem as of lately, like a week or so.

On boot/or reboot, I get a period of around 10-15 minutes that I can't do virtually anything because the PC is seriously lagging.
    When I open up task manager I get a 99% disk usage with no particular application seeming to take up any significant read/write bandwidth on my drives.
    Some system processes always show up but they have very low read/write values.

After about 10-15 minutes disk activity drops down to normal and the PC behaves perfectly normal, no lagg-ing/freezing no FPS drop, everything goes back to normal.

I should mention that this happened right after one of these automatic "disk checking" sessions of Windows 8 took place which I didn't have time to cancel.

I have an SSD with the OS and a normal HDD with storage and some programs on it. I've googled the problem a bit and a lot of people seem to have it with Windows 8 but I couldn't find a precise solution. Any ideas?

I would really hate to have to format/re-install as I have something like 10 MMOs installed

Deleted
    First thing I'd check is having the most recent AHCI drivers.

E: Could also try unplugging the normal HDD and see if the problem persists.
    Last edited by mmoc58ad131b44; 2014-05-19 at 10:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok i managed to fix it, if anyone is having the same problem where your desktop temporarily freezes after opening a file/folder when you have first logged in or have restarted the computer. The issue is with skydrive (C:\Windows\System32\skydriveshell.dll) you can try taking ownership of the file and renaming it or replacing it with an older version to see if it works (may need to take ownership of file, remember to backup etc.).

Deleted
    You can also completely disable Skydrive integration in 8.1, which is a great idea if you ask me.

Here's a step-by-step article to disabling all useless crap that 8.1 forces on you - many of them are highly controversial things that should NEVER be on by default:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/21114...-by-piece.html