Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Couldn't another MMO just as easily claim "5 million kobolds killed!" with the same meaningfulness?

Not sure I understand what these metrics are supposed to highlight. It's not like an infographic displaying the average win percentage of Sona in the summer split or the percentage of Witch rolls in the 1MHC. Which illuminate gameplay trends over a short duration.

What is the actual context here to these metrics?

Quote Originally Posted by deragot7 View Post
    The same can be said for bllizard's ''20 million'' DIII hard coppies sold.Meaningless numbers.
    No, those are sales numbers. Those indicate actual money made.

These numbers are marketing numbers. They're, "Hey, we need to pull some huge numbers that look impressive to throw around as if they mean something!", that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not sure I understand what these metrics are supposed to highlight.
    BIG NUMBERS MEANS SUPER SUCCESSFUL AND TONS OF INTEREST!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    How else can you judge how popular a B2P game is other than game activity numbers? Sounds like you think ££ = success.
    You make zero sense. First your like we need box sales numbers now your like we'll how else are you suppose to judge success. Make up your mind. And FYI auction house transaction mean Jack shit and do do the test of those numbers, I doubt you are even paying attention
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Money does equal success.

It is the goal of Arena.net and NcSoft to sell this game and virtual transactions within. If the game is not profitable it will cease to exist within weeks.

10+ Year Old Account

It is the goal of Arena.net and NcSoft to sell this game and virtual transactions within. If the game is not profitable it will cease to exist within weeks.

There is no question as to the game's financial success. In fact, it's held strong to launch numbers for every quarter since launch (without a sub fee I might add!)

Qtr/Year/USD
    Q2 2012 25,800,000
    Q3 2012 22,900,000
    Q4 2012 107,000,000 <—-Launch year Christmas sales
    Q1 2013 32,800,000
    Q2 2013 25,800,000
    Q3 2013 22,900,000
    Q4 2013 32,000,000
    Q1 2014 24,500,000
    Q2 2014 22,200,000
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-08-22 at 11:21 AM.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    There is no question as to the game's financial success.
    I am aware. I was speaking toward the sentiment of post #60.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a WoW fan site with a "most recent posts ticker on the front page. Of course you're going to have people hating on other MMOs while they validate 14 months of no new content and not progressing in SoO as their guild wipes on siegemaster for the 1000th time. Even Wrath of the Loch king had ruby sanctum.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    It's a WoW fan site with a "most recent posts ticker on the front page. Of course you're going to have people hating on other MMOs while they validate 14 months of no new content and not progressing in SoO as their guild wipes on siegemaster for the 1000th time. Even Wrath of the Loch king had ruby sanctum.
    What are you even talking about? Hating GW2 or not isn't even part of the discussion. We are talking useless numbers and sales figures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Weird rant with no connection to the discussion at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by deragot7 View Post
    Well the point is that for B2P MMO it's not important how many active players it has but how many coppies of the gam it sold.So i applaud Anet for the big number.Looks like they did something right.Nothing that they screwed a lot of things.The selling numbers of the game say enough.If the game was not good enough it wouldn't sell so much.
    I think the initial purchase is more of a victory for the marketing department than the game itself. If 10 million people buy the game initially but a month later only 1 million of them still play it, then the game is obviously either not too good or was marketed deceptively.

However, sustained activity is a lot more useful at measuring the success of the game itself.

Not to mention GW2's biggest revenue is from gem purchases -- something that correlates with sustained activity.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You make zero sense. First your like we need box sales numbers now your like we'll how else are you suppose to judge success. Make up your mind. And FYI auction house transaction mean Jack shit and do do the test of those numbers, I doubt you are even paying attention
    What are you babbling on about? I did not even mention anything about box sales. I simply said that in game activity can be used as a guide to how popular the game seems to be in China. I guess it must be out side of realms of possibility that all those people doing hearts and what not could mean that lots of people may be enjoying the game? Feel free to assume it just PR horse shit all you want. I suspect it is a a little bit from column a and a little from column b.

Yes well that was my fault. I should have said that ££ does not equal popularity in B2P games but thanks for stating the obvious. I was blissfully unaware that NcSoft ran GW2 to make money. You have opened my eyes!

What are you babbling on about? I did not even mention anything about box sales. I simply said that in game activity can be used as a guide to how popular the game seems to be in China. I guess it must be out side of realms of possibility that all those people doing hearts and what not could mean that lots of people may be enjoying the game? Feel free to assume it just PR horse shit all you want. I suspect it is a a little bit from column a and a little from column b.
    And I'm stating things like "number of trade posts" is irrelevant useless numbers and then you go on about box sales. I don't think you are actually paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    And I'm stating things like "number of trade posts" is irrelevant useless numbers and then you go on about box sales. I don't think you are actually paying attention.
    You can think they are irrelevant useless numbers all you want. I am not going to attempt to change your mind. Just to reiterate the point that i did not once broach the subject of box sales. No clue why you seem to be fixated on that point.

The only point i was trying to make and i already regret that decision is that those numbers could indicate that the game is quite active among our Chinese brothers and sisters.

Popularity would also be measured by $. If people are continually buying the game it is popular.

This is pretty straight forward. There are no concrete metrics to deduce the popularity or success of an online only video game product other than sales.

The number of flowers collected or jumping puzzles completed isn't really a measure of anything external to the game.

Popularity would also be measured by $. If people are continually buying the game it is popular.

This is pretty straight forward. There are no concrete metrics to deduce the popularity or success of an online only video game product other than sales.

The number of flowers collected or jumping puzzles completed isn't really a measure of anything external to the game.
    Yes but the number of flowers picked and jumping puzzles completed is an indication for how active the game is. Does people actively playing the game not equate to popularity? I guess i just consider an active game to be also popular. Money garnered from sales is also a perfectly fine metric for success.

Does people actively playing the game not equate to popularity?
    No. Not necessarily.

No. Not necessarily.
    Well i will just say i disagree with you and leave it at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i will just say i disagree with you and leave it at that.
    It's as simple as this: 1 player can do 10 jp's a day or 10 transactions a day thus you get to inflate the information displayed, if you are a big fish in terms of the AH you're constantly playing it, 10 transactions is the bare minimum to get more money.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35