Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Greed is a GOOD Thing

Everywhere I look I see people constantly nagging and picking a part rich people and calling them greedy as if that is a bad thing. Isn't the whole point of living life to make money and to make yourself and loved ones happy with that money? Greed is what led to many breakthroughs in all industries, people wanting to make more money so they come up with something new and innovative. Why is Greed so negative to most people?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You asked for it.

You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscripts View Post
    Everywhere I look I see people constantly nagging and picking a part rich people and calling them greedy as if that is a bad thing. Isn't the whole point of living life to make money and to make yourself and loved ones happy with that money? Greed is what led to many breakthroughs in all industries, people wanting to make more money so they come up with something new and innovative. Why is Greed so negative to most people?
    When your greed begins to affect the lives of everyone in the nation, it is indeed a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of times greed will prevent innovation.

Greed becomes a problem when peoples actions to aquire and maintain their wealth have a detrimental effect on others.

Greed is the curse thats gonna tear you apart
    What good is your purse, if youre poor in your heart!

10+ Year Old Account
    A desire for money isn't bad, necessarily, but the word Greed is used specifically for situations where that desire goes too far and results in negative consequences. So greed is by definition bad.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

"Greed is good" died in 2008 when the party balloon of greed exploded, revealing the pile of horseshit that had been accumulating out of the public field of view behind it. Now we know that it is horse shit.

I think the same way generally.

What if, instead of a tax on income by the rich, once you reached a certain benchmark income you were required by law to use x% of it for public works or charity. The government would make so much money by suing the people who didn't comply.
    Call me Cassandra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    You asked for it.

I can't watch it with that commercial in front of the actual content. Are they for real? Embedding ads into the actual video? :|
    That ad right there is the definition of greed. Maybe that's what you tried to showcase.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

You seriously confuse ambition and greed

Ambition is what leads to breakthrough, greed is what leads to the exact opposite, people preventing something new and innovate because they're making money on the old thing (medicine companies come to mind here).

Wanting to make money and being greedy are two very different things.
    Last edited by Smeeh; 2014-05-13 at 05:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't the whole point of living life to make money and to make yourself and loved ones happy with that money?
    What does greed have to do with ?

As far as i know greed is wanting more and more and more and....you get the picture.

Striving for better = good

Greed = bad

And people aren't nagging and picking part the rich people. They are nagging and picking part the super rich people who rose to power through their families, not own effort and then rig the rules with their immense wealth to work against anyone else effectively keeping entire nations down just to make sure they get their next few billions
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

And as usual it'll descend into a constant barrage of communist sympathizer drivel or the general bashing of fiscal conservatism amidst strict definition technicalities. Who wants to buy some popcorn? 50% off with purchase of a large soda!

Deleted
    Ambition, I can agree with. Desire to gain more, profit and grow within reasonable bounds? Absolutely. But greed? No. Greed is the short-sighted pursuit of personal gain over anything and everything else, at all costs. Greed brings exploitation, environmental damage, societal upheavals. Erodes trust. Blinds people to long-term consequences. Makes them trample over everything in pursuit of MORE, even long past the point when they can realistically even use, spend or enjoy the vast sums they accumulate. makes people ignore the future. Fuck resources, fuck stability, fuck progress, fuck the entire system from which the profits on which greed feeds COME, in the first place. Let all go to hell, let others pay, let the society collapse so I. CAN. GET. MORE. This is the motivation, this is the mindset of the truly greedy.

Greed, for lack of a better word, makes people stupid.

fiscal conservatism
    The current pathological greed of the 1% has fuck all to do with "conservatism" and "free market" - the rules have been altered, rigged in such a way that the truly rich and powerful are beyond any laws of economy. When faced with risk, they shrug it off for others to take (often entire nations). When faced with costs, they make others pay them (entire societies in fact). When facing consequences, they bend the rules as they go, so that everyone suffers while they fly away scot-free. While raking in and hoarding cash. You had conservatist free market in the US after the war - high mobility, high competition, high taxes that went into public projects that were good business AND benefitted the people. What do you get now? A big fat FUCK YOU from people who are, for all intents and purposes, above the law. And a hearthy invitation to suffer the costs of another "crisis", while the profits go safely to the right pockets.

Conservatism my ass.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2014-05-13 at 05:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    that´s like saying murder is a good thing because sometimes bad people die

sure, there are probably some rare cases when greed led to something good, but in general, nope, greed = bad
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

People confuse desire with greed. It is normal to desire more for yourself, your country, and your love ones. The problem is once you fulfill your desires, obtaining more of the same becomes greed. Which is the crux of the issue that a certain amount of money is in excessive with a small group of people whose desires have become greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    I can't watch it with that commercial in front of the actual content. Are they for real? Embedding ads into the actual video? :|
    That ad right there is the definition of greed. Maybe that's what you tried to showcase.
    Try installing adblock, and maybe noscript.

Deleted
    This thread reminds me of the Dungeon Keeper 2 cheat for more gold. Now I want to play Dungeon Keeper again.