Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to wear khakis, just make sure they fit correctly.
    Having a matching belt and shoes is key, in this case brown is ideal. Make sure your color pallet is fluid and appealing to the human eyes.
    As for a shirt, navy blue is fine, as long as its tucked and you are somewhat thin.
    To make this fit even better, you could wear a light blue or pale pink button up tucked in. With a navy blazer over top, unbuttoned.

This is a pretty safe/common look.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    UK and US male formal dress are the same.

Anybody that wants to look fly, won't be looking fly when they look at their graduation photgraphs in a few years, they'll look like this...

Yes, they are the same indeed. A few people dressing erroneously doesn't change that. Thanks, finally someone with civilised knowledge of style.

edit: fuzball, good job. That's exactly what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    times have changed. bowties are for hipsters now. black is in and its here to stay. do u even go to fidm?

have u ever heard of a BLACK TIE EVENT
    You do not wear a black tie at a black tie event.

He is clearly not all that interested in fashion so he is not going to pull off some "look". Op will most likely be best off sticking with the classics.

You almost never use a black tie and you should never, EVER have a black blazer and black pants on unless it is a suit. Most of those items you will use once or twice and then they are going to be out dated or no longer fit you. For very formal wear there are rentals unless you use that sort of thing a lot or have unlimited funds. Don't buy a cheap black suit unless you want people to order drinks from you.

You are far better off buying a few semi casual items that you will get some wear out of. There are very few situations where a navy, black or grey blazer and khaki pants will not do the trick. You can get surprisingly nice blazers in second hand stores if you are still a student...and for next to no money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fashion talk makes people sound like such shallow buttholes.

Dress codes my ass, if somebody wants to wear a black tie, just let them, jeez...
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post

Dress codes my ass, if somebody wants to wear a black tie, just let them, jeez...
    I have to agree with you on that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    lmao thats the worst jacket i have ever seen. and no, it really isnt. american is more casual and uk is a lot more proper. look at the politicians/actors during formal events. british fashion is more like mod, with very few color tones and all the same. american is boldness with colors and cuts.
    I expect he thought it was 'fly'.

He could have dressed like this, put up with a few Bond jokes, posed for photos that he won't cringe at in a few years, then got sucked off by the prom queen - I know which I'd prefer.

US formal wear IS exactly the same as UK formal wear, you got it from the UK.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2014-05-13 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post

Although I tend to agree with you on the shallow part, many people are shallow and this isn't going to be his party. If you are going somewhere to honor or celebrate someone else you might want to leave "individuality" at home. It is going to be about them, not you. It has nothing to do with fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    UK and US male formal dress are the same.

Anybody that wants to look fly, won't be looking fly when they look at their graduation photgraphs in a few years, they'll look like this...

I like it seeing how everything is made out of duct tape.

Outside of black tie events I don't see the issue with wearing a plain tie. Yes, it is not classic formal wear but styles of dress change and men should be able to enjoy more options of dress for formal events. It is not like they are wear bolo ties formal events.

Ugh, formality. I loathe having to dress up, to the point where my wedding was a casual BBQ in a state park. I don't even think I own any formal clothes, come to think of it. Anyway, I'd go for black shoes, they stand out less.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Outside of black tie events I don't see the issue with wearing a plain tie. Yes, it is not classic formal wear but styles of dress change and men should be able to enjoy more options of dress for formal events. It is not like they are wear bolo ties formal events.
    A plain tie is fine with pretty much anything, as long as you're wearing a shirt with a proper collar under it (button-downs are a no-go everywhere except the US). Black ties, however, are exclusively for funerals, no matter how many American movie stars wear them to other events. I've seen people wear black ties with dinner jackets, that doesn't make it correct.

On Topic: Match colours in belt and shoes, black is fine but brown definitely goes better with a blue shirt. Do not under any circumstances wear a black shirt unless you are Johnny Cash. A navy shirt is fine if you're not wearing a blazer or sport coat - if you are I would go with a light blue shirt instead, as the shirt colour should be lighter than the coat.

Really though, are you sure you're not supposed to be wearing a suit for a graduation?
    Last edited by lzsg; 2014-05-13 at 10:43 PM.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

In standard slim fit jeans for men are the most like straight. Men's can be used in the office, this one look like the fit and good.
    Last edited by NickNgaruiya; 2018-07-12 at 12:39 PM.

If not for the "khaki bulge" why wear khakis at all?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Male fashion advice on MMOC is an oxymoron

10+ Year Old Account
    4 year necro nice

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it always a 1 post account that does the super necro?

Social status; the lower the pants the better.

This man is the pinnacle of such a trend:

Bleh necro.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Sure. If you're going for the "seattle panhandler" look.
    hahahaha nice sharing!!

Edit - Just noticed this was a necro

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Male fashion advice on MMOC is an oxymoron
    thank you for sharing!!

- - - Updated - - -

this men is legend