10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading my desktop to run games more smoothly

Hello MMO-C! I was playing the Wildstar beta, and my computer had hard times in cities and enclosed areas with a lot of detail (5-15fps), but was relatively smooth (20-28fps) in wide open areas. I have a question about upgrading desktop to run Wildstar(and WoW by extention, but that runs pretty well anyway) a bit more smoothly. I ideally want 35+ fps in open and closed areas. I don't know much about computers, so I'm confused what I need to upgrade to handle things better.

Here are my specs bases on my computer properties:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 3.07GHz 3.07GHz
    8GB RAM
    64 bit OS

and my graphics card by what it says on the box:
    Nvidia Geforce GT 630 2048MB DDR3

My budget isn't very high, so cheap is welcomed :3

EDIT: My computer is a Gateway if that matters
    Last edited by Selindrile; 2014-05-13 at 11:33 PM.

There is a subforum dedicated to this topic, and the people there are pretty smart with knowing reliable low budget hardware, I would recommend asking them

http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/3...d-Upgrade-Help

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, I'll post there. Thanks!

Moved your thread to the appropriate forum, no need to make a new one.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    My budget isn't very high, so cheap is welcomed :3
    What is your budget? Basically the way things work is... Whatever you can spend, we can find the best deal for that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the GPU is the weakest link here. You can upgrade to a GTX 750 for a reasonably low price (about $125) for the mileage.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Budget is around 100$ or so. Nothing drastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both the CPU and GPU are pretty weak. I'd recommend maybe a GPU because that's all you can afford... But it won't make a huge difference.

I would save up some more money, and look into a partial rebuild. But you'd be looking at about something just shy of $300.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Both the CPU and GPU are pretty weak. I'd recommend maybe a GPU because that's all you can afford... But it won't make a huge difference.

I would save up some more money, and look into a partial rebuild. But you'd be looking at about something just shy of $300.
    Hmm, alright. Anything you'd recommend specifically? I could save up for a couple of months and get something good if I need to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking something along the lines of an i3-4330, board, and a 750ti. You wont need a new PSU. The RAM might be sketchy though, kind of a tossup.