Thread: The Family

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I'm also against gay marriage, I think gay people should be content with civil partnerships. Marriage is reserved for opposite sex couples.
    I think that all people should be content with civil partnerships. Leave marriage as a mere religious ceremony for those who are into that kind of thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    All I am saying is, govt has no right to tell consenting adults who they can marry or not. Marriage is a religious issue not a govt one.

1st Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
    You do realize that not everyone who is skeptical or opposed to "marriage equality" is doing it on religious grounds? Case in point, the video of the atheist vlogger above.

Marriage is not solely a religious issue. Love and raising the next generation of children are secular issues too, just like commerce (which by the way some religions like Islam do talk about in detail, is that now a religious issue too because one religion talked about it?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bervose View Post
    I think that all people should be content with civil partnerships. Leave marriage as a mere religious ceremony for those who are into that kind of thing.
    I can get behind this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Limited? Under which guise is my religion's view on marriage limited? Oh you mean because it does include same sex couple, didums....

It has always been between man and wife. Why do we need to include same sex couples when the mere act of including them lessens the vows and the very santitty of the partnership for religious people. Y'know the same people who created marriage in the first place.
    It has always been between man and wife? Got any data on that?

Oh, and if "including same sex couples lessens the vows and the santitty of the partnership for religious people", then I think they should pull the sticks out of their asses and grow up. If two people decide to get married it is none of your business, it does not affect your or your religion.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Let's just tell every orphan to fuck off, any adopted parent is illegitimate right?

My niece was adopted by my brother and his partner from birth, that girl is now in Yale. You're an idiot.

Until a study is provided saying that it is detrimental to not be raised by a woman and a man you are full of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Let's just tell every orphan to fuck off, any adopted parent is illegitimate right?

Until a study is provided saying that it is detrimental to not be raised by a woman and a man you are full of shit.
    Exactly , an OP with a fuckton of bold claims but no sources to back it up.

Those deal with single parenting. They don't support any of your claims regarding monogamous couples. The guy in the video stresses several times on 'two-parent families'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    It has always been between man and wife? Got any data on that?

Oh, and if "including same sex couples lessens the vows and the santitty of the partnership for religious people", then I think they should pull the sticks out of their asses and grow up. If two people decide to get married it is none of your business, it does not affect your or your religion.
    I have no interest in Googling for the earliest marriages in recorded history and frankly I don't care to either because it's pretty common sense.

It does affect me and my religion when same sex couples afforded the same marriage label as me and would-be wife, marriage has been always motivated via religion i.e. vowing before God. A large number of religions still don't recognise gay marriage as a thing and I respect their opinions.

Why can't same sex couples come up with a new name for their partnership that doesn't devalue religious marriages?

I have no interest in Googling for the earliest marriages in recorded history and frankly I don't care to either because it's pretty common sense.

It does affect me and my religion when same sex couples afforded the same marriage label as me and would-be wife, marriage has been always motivated via religion i.e. vowing before God. A large number of religions still don't recognise gay marriage as a thing and I respect their opinions.

Why can't same sex couples come up with a new name for their partnership that doesn't devalue religious marriages?
    Lot of bold claims with no basis or facts being brought up. Marriage has historically been a strictly legal proceeding in many societies, you can't just take over the word and harass anyone who uses it differently.

Deleted
    What?

My niece was adopted by my brother and his partner from birth, that girl is now in Yale. You're an idiot.
    One successful anecdote proves nothing. By that same logic one could argue that smoking poses no health risk if you live to 90 and never get lung cancer.

Given secular marriage came before religious marriage, why can't religious people figure another name for whatever it is they do that doesn't devalue humankind? Marriage is not for religions to decide upon; they are welcomed to add their own rituals, though.

"Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    One successful anecdote proves nothing. By that same logic one could argue that smoking poses no health risk if you live to 90 and never get lung cancer.
    One successful anecdote is still more evidence than the shit your peddling.

You do realize that not everyone who is skeptical or opposed to "marriage equality" is doing it on religious grounds? Case in point, the video of the atheist vlogger above.

Marriage is not solely a religious issue. Love and raising the next generation of children are secular issues too, just like commerce (which by the way some religions like Islam do talk about in detail, is that now a religious issue too because one religion talked about it?).

I am not arguing anything outside of marriage. The govt has no right to tell consenting adults whether they can marry or not. Its a religious issue.

Lot of bold claims with no basis or facts being brought up. Marriage has historically been a strictly legal proceeding in many societies, you can't just take over the word and harass anyone who uses it differently.
    I don't feel like I should provide sources for common sense, I'm sorry but if you want to look it up go ahead. I don't care for whether you're convinced - you're irelevant to me.

Marriages = man wife
    civil marriages = same sex couples

Encroaching on my values just to assuage your feelings of being invalidated, essentially because I don't want to play with you, is not really a priority for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahh. I hope everyone takes the time to read the post above me.

(The Bible post , not going to quote because of length.)

Deleted
    It's one more than you presented.

Have you done research into this though OP? Did you actually look at how many one parent families, how many same sex couple families and how many polygamous families turn out problem children compared to nuclear ones?

I don't feel like I should provide sources for common sense, I'm sorry but if you want to look it up go ahead. I don't care for whether you're convinced - you're irelevant to me.

Marriages = man wife
    civil marriages = same sex couples

Encroaching on my values just to assuage your feelins of being invalidated is not really a priority for me.
    Both should be called the same thing in the law and treated identically however since legal marriage is the same thing.

Marriage is not a religious issue. Only ignorant members of organized superstition say that. Keep your religion out of my marriage, straight or gay.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    Hahh. I hope everyone takes the time to read the post above me.

(The Bible post , not going to quote because of length.)
    It's really BS and I fail to recognise it's relevance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    Marriage is not a religious issue. Only ignorant members of organized superstition say that. Keep your religion out of my marriage, straight or gay.

Keep your gays out of our marriages?

lol

Marriages = man wife
    civil marriages = same sex couple
    s

Encroaching on my values just to assuage your feelings of being invalidated, essentially because I don't want to play with you, is not really a priority for me.
    For your religion maybe, don't try to push your religious beliefs on society. For some people marriage means one man and one wife, for others it means one man and 8 wives, it's a very broad term.

Given you are capable of ignoring those around you, I'm sure you can build your own fantasy in which non monogamous marriages don't even exist: they're irrelevant to you.