Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    I honestly doubt that is what happened, people only react differently in game when they either feel offended or they would gain something.

    The same goes for "real life" only there people get offended more easily since you are actively entering personal space and can't pretend as good.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    I think this pretty well matches real life, as well as real life through a virtual medium, yes. The group in the privileged position, with the power, who don't have to think "this guy, is he one of that really small proportion of guys who might rape me?", have no problem with random approaches that match their sexuality -- especially in a game that is heavily focused on their sexuality to start with in presentation.

    The other side are uncomfortable, and in a situation where the worst-case outcome is normally "harassment that sometimes results in a ban, and where ignore works", express the discomfort that -- in the real world -- they just swallow and pretend isn't there just in case you turn out to be that guy who *looks* perfectly fine, but then turns into a violent rapist unexpectedly.

    In other words: you have recreated, badly, the well known fact that women are uncomfortable with the approach of strangers, because they are in a position where that poses a significant risk to their health and wellbeing, possibly even their lives. Because a small, but real, portion of men are like that -- and even if you and I are nothing like that, we all look exactly the same until the knife comes out.
    Dude...can you have a more depressing view on society...

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Dude...can you have a more depressing view on society...
    Honestly? Yes. I could put actual numbers next to some of those softball statements. :/ (Though I suppose that is *express* a more depressing view rather than have one.)

    Anyway, this drifts way off topic for the forum, and you can reasonably easily research this yourself by digging up the numbers and thinking about what they mean, as there is plenty of research out there on the area.

    (Also, remember: just because some things are still bad, not all things are bad, and some areas are improving greatly right now. It isn't perfect, but just because we have a long way to go doesn't mean we can't get to a place where society is good...)

  3. #23
    Herald of the Titans Geminiwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Demon Realm
    Posts
    2,772
    I dance with anyone, guy or girl. Not sure why people would harass other people just because they're dancing with them. Then again we are dealing with the WoW community here so it's no surprise.
    “Ever wonder why ice cubes taste so boring? It’s cuz you make ‘em outta stupid water, you bimbo! Put some fruit juice in there and freeze it into ice cubes, and put THAT in your milk.”
    "One small mankind and I'm gonna leap the heck outta this moon rocket." - Kneel Aurmstrang
    For your health.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by elyina View Post
    I just want to comment that this is one of the most retarded posts I've seen on this site to date, don't even care if I get infracted for saying this.
    You might wanna, y'know, actually say *why* you disagree with it, not just that you do. Otherwise it sounds like you disagree because the idea makes you kind of uncomfortable, because that would be a miserable world, and you want to keep hold of the illusion that the world is good -- because, for you, it is.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    You might wanna, y'know, actually say *why* you disagree with it, not just that you do. Otherwise it sounds like you disagree because the idea makes you kind of uncomfortable, because that would be a miserable world, and you want to keep hold of the illusion that the world is good -- because, for you, it is.
    Mostly because you trot out the same old stuff. "Power" and "Privilege" as if being male is equivalent to being a socio-economically advantaged male. Also acting as if men are somehow never the victims of crime and women always are. (Even though men are something like 3x as likely to be murdered)

    Most men get tired of being painted as these comic book villains constantly.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Mostly because you trot out the same old stuff. "Power" and "Privilege" as if being male is equivalent to being a socio-economically advantaged male. Also acting as if men are somehow never the victims of crime and women always are. (Even though men are something like 3x as likely to be murdered)

    Most men get tired of being painted as these comic book villains constantly.
    Ah. No, being a socio-economically advantaged white man also privileges you over people who are male, but not in some or all of those categories. However, male >>> female still holds even in those classes as a rule of thumb. So, no, you don't get the world on a plate just for being a man, but the fact that you don't have ultimate power doesn't, for example, change the fact that a woman in the same socio-economic class as you will be paid 75 cents on the dollar for the same work you do, or that they are subject to significant bias in "blame assignment" around rape, or other factors.

    As to being painted as a comic book villain, I think you are perhaps misled by the fact that *you* are a good here: I have no opinion on that, one way or another. What I can say is that there are enough men that are not good people that it is a reasonable and sane assumption on the part of a woman that, eg, in the physical world turning down an invite to a date because you already have a boyfriend may result in death.

    Likewise, you may never physically intimidate a woman who rejects your conversational approach on the train, but there are enough bad people who will do exactly that -- and who can't be distinguished from you, or me, or Joe over there, at a glance, or even an extended look -- that women need to assume that you could be one of them until they know otherwise. Unfortunately, "know otherwise" isn't something that can happen in many of these contexts.

    I'm sorry you feel like you are painted as the bad guy because of the actions of other people around you, but it probably also helps for you to remember that every time you say that someone is "retarded" for saying something you disagree with you are *creating* the same sense of discomfort for every woman who reads it.

    After all, if you dismiss their day to day experience like that, will you dismiss it when they actually complain they were harassed? Will you go on to further dismiss problems? Blame them if they are raped, because they "did the wrong thing"? Probably not, because you seem like a decent enough person, but... what you say sounds very much like what they people who *do* those horrible things say, and from a distance it can be hard to tell what is behind them.

  7. #27
    You know how sometimes in LFR the tank or tanks will bail on you and your whole group will be sitting there waiting for new ones? Everybody's complaining about how bad those tanks were and whose fault the wipe was, etc.

    I got 'em to all /dance in the name of messing with the new tanks. A good while goes by, nobody talking, just dance. Finally the tank or tanks (I forget now) pops in. Dead silence. Entire raid of strangers in the most caustic group known to man (aka LFR) are dancing away.

    The tank(s) started dancing too. After that it was pandemonium. I don't remember, maybe they thought we were doing a loot dance like people used to dance to make it rain.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    You know how sometimes in LFR the tank or tanks will bail on you and your whole group will be sitting there waiting for new ones? Everybody's complaining about how bad those tanks were and whose fault the wipe was, etc.

    I got 'em to all /dance in the name of messing with the new tanks. A good while goes by, nobody talking, just dance. Finally the tank or tanks (I forget now) pops in. Dead silence. Entire raid of strangers in the most caustic group known to man (aka LFR) are dancing away.

    The tank(s) started dancing too. After that it was pandemonium. I don't remember, maybe they thought we were doing a loot dance like people used to dance to make it rain.
    Oh, gosh, that is the best use of /dance ever, haha. You win LFR, my friend.

  9. #29
    The Lightbringer Ciddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,934
    If they're completely random people I don't know, I usually just ignore them and go about my business unless they talk to me or I'm REALLY bored.

    I used to use the piccolo item a lot (the one that makes all nearby players dance). It is amusing sometimes. I still remember the video where a night elf rogue stealthed into a Horde AH on a PvP server and popped that, but then he realized that it only worked on friendly players. Took him out of stealth, and he was the only one dancing. It did not end well for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •