Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arrow Dancing Experiment

What would you do if a character from the opposite sex went up and started dancing with you?

I conducted a experiment to see if there would be a difference between a female and male character dancing. I made a human hunter for both male and female. They both consisted of level 5 experience. I then preceded to go up to random people of the opposite sex and danced with them. What do you guys think happened?

Let me tell you. The female character got a lot of people to dance with her yet the male who went up to females got harassed multiple times on different occasions. Do you think this is the norm in real life and in a virtual world? I want to get everyone's input about this to further help my experiment. What would you do? What factors effect your decision to dance with a character?

Deleted
    I'd dance with any character, providing I wasn't busy. I can see why it'd make a difference for some though. Those some being people who don't know that female avatar is probably a guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, some percentage of the female toons are guys. Also, for the ones played by women I'd imagine that they get tired of getting hit on in the real or virtual worlds.

Not a true study unless you also danced as a gender-hidden bear too, as control?
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Deleted
    Probably wouldn't do anything its pixels.. Might emote some random crap in succession and think nohing of it tbh. Not trying to mock your experient but wouldn't you be beter conducting an experiment in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by kmorlack View Post
    Let me tell you. The female character got a lot of people to dance with her yet the male who went up to females got harassed multiple times on different occasions. Do you think this is the norm in real life and in a virtual world? I want to get everyone's input about this to further help my experiment. What would you do? What factors effect your decision to dance with a character?
    I think this pretty well matches real life, as well as real life through a virtual medium, yes. The group in the privileged position, with the power, who don't have to think "this guy, is he one of that really small proportion of guys who might rape me?", have no problem with random approaches that match their sexuality -- especially in a game that is heavily focused on their sexuality to start with in presentation.

The other side are uncomfortable, and in a situation where the worst-case outcome is normally "harassment that sometimes results in a ban, and where ignore works", express the discomfort that -- in the real world -- they just swallow and pretend isn't there just in case you turn out to be that guy who *looks* perfectly fine, but then turns into a violent rapist unexpectedly.

In other words: you have recreated, badly, the well known fact that women are uncomfortable with the approach of strangers, because they are in a position where that poses a significant risk to their health and wellbeing, possibly even their lives. Because a small, but real, portion of men are like that -- and even if you and I are nothing like that, we all look exactly the same until the knife comes out.

Deleted
    Some people came up with this research genre and nowadays it's taught on almost any university. "sociology"
    Gender research is a famous.

Only if you really are interested though.

If I'm just hanging out I will /dance with anybody who /dances with me first
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    If I'm just hanging out I will /dance with anybody who /dances with me first
    Your avatar already is.

Someone starts /dancing with me, I /dance with them. Don't really bother to check out their character first.

I /dance with anyone around the town I'm currently in, especially if they do it first. Their character's gender doesn't matter in the least. It's a bit of fun, and might strike up a conversation. Anyway, people that harass a male character just for emoting them and having a bit of fun are incredibly dull to begin with. I only play female toons (as I am female(aside from one male blood elf...!)), so I don't have that experience. I just can't imagine people that are so unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Some people came up with this research genre and nowadays it's taught on almost any university. "sociology"
    Gender research is a famous. Only if you really are interested though.
    Damn, I wish I had just said this instead. So much better. Totally stealing this for next time, so I can look smart too.

Deleted
    I did an dancing experiment in Real-Life.

No one danced with me.
    I guess that is because im male, isn't it guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Only took 5 replies for someone to start in on priviledge and power and such, MMO-C never disappoints!
    ...because it is applicable to the question? Just sayin'

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone dances, I dance too. End of story. :-P
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

I wanted to see if there was a correlation a huge virtual world compared to actual life. Thank you for your response though i appreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sincerely hope this is a troll post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by kmorlack View Post
    I wanted to see if there was a correlation a huge virtual world compared to actual life. Thank you for your response though i appreciate it.
    Oh. You might find these useful, then:

* http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21917741
    * http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/at...tual-worlds-2/
    * http://lmc.gatech.edu/~nitsche/downl...ingSelf_11.pdf

They cover the subject of identity in virtual worlds. The summary, though, is that virtual identity both shapes and is shaped by both the world, and the player.

The most recent example of this I can think of was on, I think, wow insider, where someone talked about a study: male games playing female toons in wow talk in a way they associate with female talk (eg: the stereotype of female talk, including greater emotionality, and more exclamation marks), but do not move like women do; the theory advanced by the author of the study is that men are aware of the common perception of female talk, but not female positioning and motion, and are influenced by this.

The same study observed that the choice of a female toon is frequently aesthetic, or perhaps "ass-thetic", which may play into this some.

Deleted
    I honestly doubt that is what happened, people only react differently in game when they either feel offended or they would gain something.

The same goes for "real life" only there people get offended more easily since you are actively entering personal space and can't pretend as good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    I think this pretty well matches real life, as well as real life through a virtual medium, yes. The group in the privileged position, with the power, who don't have to think "this guy, is he one of that really small proportion of guys who might rape me?", have no problem with random approaches that match their sexuality -- especially in a game that is heavily focused on their sexuality to start with in presentation.

The other side are uncomfortable, and in a situation where the worst-case outcome is normally "harassment that sometimes results in a ban, and where ignore works", express the discomfort that -- in the real world -- they just swallow and pretend isn't there just in case you turn out to be that guy who *looks* perfectly fine, but then turns into a violent rapist unexpectedly.

In other words: you have recreated, badly, the well known fact that women are uncomfortable with the approach of strangers, because they are in a position where that poses a significant risk to their health and wellbeing, possibly even their lives. Because a small, but real, portion of men are like that -- and even if you and I are nothing like that, we all look exactly the same until the knife comes out.
    Dude...can you have a more depressing view on society...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Dude...can you have a more depressing view on society...
    Honestly? Yes. I could put actual numbers next to some of those softball statements. :/ (Though I suppose that is *express* a more depressing view rather than have one.)

Anyway, this drifts way off topic for the forum, and you can reasonably easily research this yourself by digging up the numbers and thinking about what they mean, as there is plenty of research out there on the area.

(Also, remember: just because some things are still bad, not all things are bad, and some areas are improving greatly right now. It isn't perfect, but just because we have a long way to go doesn't mean we can't get to a place where society is good...)