Thread: Heroic Paragons

Heroic Paragons

Progressing on this for the last two weeks and am about 70 wipes in - we are making good progress. I do have a couple of questions.

1) What talents are the best for this fight to maximize DPS given the craziness going on all around you? I am SV and running AMoC, Fervor and GT.
    2) Can someone explain the Flash mechanic and the green line of poop mechanic for me? When I am targeted which way should I move? Should I disengage etc. I get targeted with flash and then strafe to the right or left and that darn bug runs his green poop right through me - should I just move backwards?
    3) Also any other tips and tricks is appreciated. THX!
    Last edited by Kraaven; 2014-05-14 at 05:52 PM.

2) the green line/flash means you have until he does his next charge(flash/green line) to move out of it if he charged through you, if you don't move you will get the stun/spinning taking damage debuff.

towards the end of the fight it's really deadly you start spining for 250k/sec

1) Sounds like you're SV so I'll let someone else who plays SV more answer this one. However if BM, I like Dire Beast, Blink Strikes and Glaive Toss
    2) Don't stand in the green and don't get stunned. It doesn't matter which way you go, just get out of it.
    3) We have a very nice "Tips and Tricks" thread here as well.

Deleted
    Quote from another, similar, thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zobbl
    Don't overestimate the red orbs. They are useful. But in about 300trys I actually never really bothered to pick them up. It is useful, of course, if you are on low hp and have some orbs around you. But these could easily be monk-healing spheres. So again: i didn't bother.

Keep in mind not to cast BA on a target that is about to die in the next ~10 seconds. I did it sometimes and it cost me quite dps. Especially if no adds are around where you can trigger LnL with a trap.
    BA is "lost" damage on another Boss-Mob, because he heals to full after another on dies, but so will it be on a dying boss. And for the LnL-Proc chance I cast BA on the next boss we will be targeting -> no numbers, but logically the best solution in this scenario.

Use the WA-String from Azortharion (I believe he posted it - currently known as Metaphoric in the forums) for the LnL ICD-Tracker. Before I used it, I quite often used my trap to early and wasted a GCD + no LnL Proc.

For the traps: Pre-icetrap one of the spawning positions of a blob. place it on the outer-edges of the middle-circle, on these "spikes" in the edge itself. hard to explain without a screenshot ^^.
    Use your trap on the parasites and second wave of blobs, which will be spawning most likely.

Havent played SV on this fight for a long time to say for sure, but try to ice-trap the small kunchongs. I dont know if they must be "active" (mesmerizing a target) or if they trigger the trap with their shell up. If you get a big kunchong, try to trap it too (I never had the chance to try it).

But all in all: know your assignment, position right and choose your BA targets wisely
    For skills I use AMoC and Thrill, but that depends on your likings

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    2) the green line/flash means you have until he does his next charge(flash/green line) to move out of it if he charged through you, if you don't move you will get the stun/spinning taking damage debuff.

towards the end of the fight it's really deadly you start spining for 250k/sec
    I'm more interested when I am targeted by Flash. I can avoid the green stuff when it is cast on others. It seems that if I move right the bug moves right or if I move left the bug moves left. I was thinking that if I disengaged or just moved backwards, I would avoid the mechanic altogether but am not sure...

I just completed this video (downed them couple weeks ago) with a deep dive into the hunter PoV:

And yes, I was survival and ran the talents that I usually like best as opposed to a possible theoretical max. They were Ironhawk, blink strikes, Fervor and Glaive toss.

As to the flash, it depends on where you are relative to where ir comes, but generally sidestepping is the best. I'll post more later.
    Last edited by steveh; 2014-05-15 at 12:38 AM.
    Git Er Raid
    GM and RL for life

1) My lazy way of doing things as Survival on Paragons was TOTH with BS. I'm currently attempting to use TOTH with AMOC (yea, focus management is gonna be fun here). I use Crows on the pull and then try to time it below 20% on the bosses to get more uses out of it except when Poison mind is down (we BL and burn there). It's just a test which probably isn't the greatest idea. Just something I'm toying with.

2) Flash is annoying sometimes it follows you after he moves and sometimes he doesn't. It might help to sidestep a bit more than you are just to give yourself more room in case he happened to go the way you went. You have roughly 2-3 seconds to move after he dashes before the whirlwind kicks in.

3) I'm probably going to be hated here, but I put down explosive trap when the parasites are out on the boss just for a bit more DPS. I have a Frost DK in the group so if the parasites are near melee they aren't going to be CC'd at all. However, if your healers are having difficulty keeping people up use freezing trap and hope no one does anything to break it to reduce feed damage taken.
    Last edited by Nerfgun; 2014-05-14 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraaven View Post
    Progressing on this for the last two weeks and am about 70 wipes in - we are making good progress. I do have a couple of questions.

1) What talents are the best for this fight to maximize DPS given the craziness going on all around you? I am SV and running AMoC, Fervor and GT.
    2) Can someone explain the Flash mechanic and the green line of poop mechanic for me? When I am targeted which way should I move? Should I disengage etc. I get targeted with flash and then strafe to the right or left and that darn bug runs his green poop right through me - should I just move backwards?
    3) Also any other tips and tricks is appreciated. THX!
    Fervor and ToTH are both very much viable. If you wanna tryhard, I'd probably go ToTH, it's just more damage in this case, and Fervor loses a fair bit of value from all the target switching, and one could argue it's easier to use ToTH optimally here than Fervor. It's a chaotic fight and your focus should generally be more on all its mechanics than optimizing Fervor usage. GT is just fine, as is AMOC.

Think of the Whirling as fire, but it's invisible. Wherever the Whirling/green stuff has passed by with his Flash is invisible fire that you can't stand in. When you are targeted, simply move away from its direction, and don't stand where you were anymore.

I run Thrill/Blink/Glaive as SV on this fight. Was running AMoC initially, but found it was difficult to get maximum uptime, what with having a ridiculous 900k dps scorpion tank in our group. Additionally, the blink is pretty nice for the amount of target swapping you have to do. But ymmv depending on how quickly your group kills bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure to multi dot with BA to maximise LNL uptime, with 4 piece and AoC this gives substantial single target damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Make sure to multi dot with BA to maximise LNL uptime, with 4 piece and AoC this gives substantial single target damage.
    Considering your LNL will be on cooldown a lot of the time, and there is only a 4 second window (2 ticks~) of higher uptime on potential LNL procs during which your LNL may already be on its ICD, it won't be a single target dps increase more often than not considering you will also waste a near-full black arrow on the incorrect target for 50% of the fight (which is your highest DPET abiltity outside of AMOC and stampede). It will give you more dps multi-dotting with BA. I highly doubt it will give you more effective dps though. One thing I will say though is if your current target is about to die, it would be best to throw your next black arrow on a high hp paragon instead to get the full duration.
    Last edited by mmoce7fe1d879b; 2014-05-16 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    Considering your LNL will be on cooldown a lot of the time, and there is only a 4 second window (2 ticks~) of higher uptime on potential LNL procs during which your LNL may already be on its ICD, it won't be a single target dps increase more often than not considering you will also waste a near-full black arrow on the incorrect target for 50% of the fight (which is your highest DPET abiltity outside of AMOC and stampede). It will give you more dps multi-dotting with BA. I highly doubt it will give you more effective dps though. One thing I will say though is if your current target is about to die, it would be best to throw your next black arrow on a high hp paragon instead to get the full duration.
    I would say the chances of LNL not procing and therefore having that second BA giving you the extra chance of procing are higher than relying on one, therefore increasing your current target damage (depending on your rng with actual procs and 4 piece). This is what I've noticed anyway, LNL uptime is increased for me after I compared my logs on progress and the higher LNL uptime means more chances of 4set procs which outweigh BA imo, since only 1 or 2 extra 4 set ES procs is more than a whole BA. Hope I explained that properly. This is what I've found and prefer anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I would say the chances of LNL not procing and therefore having that second BA giving you the extra chance of procing are higher than relying on one, therefore increasing your current target damage (depending on your rng with actual procs and 4 piece). This is what I've noticed anyway, LNL uptime is increased for me after I compared my logs on progress and the higher LNL uptime means more chances of 4set procs which outweigh BA imo, since only 1 or 2 extra 4 set ES procs is more than a whole BA. Hope I explained that properly. This is what I've found and prefer anyway.
    Well, I suppose you can do it how you like. There's a chance it could be useful to cast off a second BA on a second paragon if your LNL is off cooldown, or will be when your second BA lands.
    Last edited by mmoce7fe1d879b; 2014-05-16 at 06:02 PM.