Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Wizards of the Coast files lawsuit against Cryptozoic (Hex)

http://company.wizards.com/content/w...-entertainment

WotC finally decided to call out Hex's game mechanics being a copy paste of MTG. For those who aren't familliar with Hex, these are the only two differences between the two games:

-Hex has heroes with one basic ability (similar to Hearthstone)
    -There's no colored mana, instead cards check the number of colored sources you have

Everything else is identical to Magic, just with slightly different names (troop instead of creature, swiftstrike instead of first strike, etc.).

What do you guys think about this? Should reskinning a game and selling it under a new name be allowed? Or should WotC not be allowed to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Antilurker77 View Post
    What do you guys think about this? Should reskinning a game and selling it under a new name be allowed? Or should WotC not be allowed to do this?
    Dont know about hex specifically, but if its anything like this: http://vimeo.com/77989486 then I hope they sue them for all they are worth.

While I'm pretty familiar with MTG, I just checked out Hex for some mechanics/specifics. It really doesn't seem much more cloney than most of the TCG's I've seen. Almost all of the ones Iv'e seen are very similar, with the differentiation's being in the details rather than the broader mechanics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    While I'm pretty familiar with MTG, I just checked out Hex for some mechanics/specifics. It really doesn't seem much more cloney than most of the TCG's I've seen. Almost all of the ones Iv'e seen are very similar, with the differentiation's being in the details rather than the broader mechanics.
    I think it's more a case of every single ability, card function and style is MTG exactly but with names swapped.

not alot of TCG's just brazenly copy MTG right down to the design

The game doesn't differentiate itself in it's details though, and that's where the issue comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Antilurker77 View Post
    The game doesn't differentiate itself in it's details though, and that's where the issue comes from.
    How so? I mean, I just gave it a cursory glance and it seems to have a few elements that MTG doesn't have (that threshhold thing, for example), as well as many that it does. I'm curious as to what the specific copied elements are other than the usual "Resources are required to play cards, they have power/toughness and can attack, there are secondary affects on cards" etc., that are in literally every single TCG I've come across.

How so? I mean, I just gave it a cursory glance and it seems to have a few elements that MTG doesn't have (that threshhold thing, for example), as well as many that it does. I'm curious as to what the specific copied elements are other than the usual "Resources are required to play cards, they have power/toughness and can attack, there are secondary affects on cards" etc., that are in literally every single TCG I've come across.
    Literally everything. The two differences I listed in the OP are the only differences between the two games. I'm not exaggerating when I say the two games have almost identical rulesets. It's so close that any Magic judge would be able to answer deep rules questions about Hex accurately without having any experience with Hex.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's just the closest thing to MTG as far as other TCG/CCGs go. It is amazingly similar, even the art style on the cards is very similar - Which is an area where most other similar games differ greatly.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I think it's more a case of every single ability, card function and style is MTG exactly but with names swapped.

that is 100% legal though.

game mechanics are generally not subject to copyright protection. the words, places, and characters though... would fall under the realm of protected IP.

If I remember right, WoTC got a fluke by being able to lay claim to the 'tapping' mechanic though, but I'm not sure how broad the strokes are.

For an example, you can make an exact replica of monopoly, but so long as you rename everything and change the art, you're on the up and up.

The full complaint is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/224144304/...tainment-et-al

After spending some time reading it and the facts presented, I have to say I may side with WoTC on this one. People usually like to go against the "big bad sueing company", but those listed cards are basically identical except for the names and description text. This goes beyond mere similarity between Trading Card Games.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account

I remember certain classes taken from Dungeons and dragons for most mmo's... i remember getting the cover mechanic with regenerating health in shooters... yup...
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Hex... is almost entirely different. Unless they're sueing on grounds of "Cards with monsters using color based resource"... its pretty much a completely different game, from what I've seen in the past.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'd have to say this, though if what Fiend say's is true...

Then yes, they could be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Hex... is almost entirely different. Unless they're sueing on grounds of "Cards with monsters using color based resource"... its pretty much a completely different game, from what I've seen in the past.
    Perhaps they are just seeking SOME money to make up this year. Not uncommon for companies (ie, Zenimax) to sue other companies (Occulus) just to try to get some money out of a settlement by saying something unique to their idea is copyrighted ("Our employee imagined the Occulus first, so we own it"), in this case the color based magic.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2014-05-15 at 02:16 AM.

Yeah... every single 'TCG' type game plays like Magic in some way or another. Hell the WoW TCG was Magic but with WoW names and a different way of casting stuff.

Wizards probably just wants to rein in the online 'tcg' market since Blizzard has thrown their hat in. They don't want competition to MtG: Online.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    Yeah... every single 'TCG' type game plays like Magic in some way or another. Hell the WoW TCG was Magic but with WoW names and a different way of casting stuff.

Wizards probably just wants to rein in the online 'tcg' market since Blizzard has thrown their hat in. They don't want competition to MtG: Online.
    Once again, I want to emphasize that the two games aren't just similar, they're nearly identical. Almost a complete copy+paste. No other TCG copies so much stuff from MTG.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Free publicity for Hex. Just like Hex shares many features as MTG, World of Warcraft does the same to earlier games like Everquest.

Quote Originally Posted by Emidizzle View Post
    Free publicity for Hex. Just like Hex shares many features as MTG, World of Warcraft does the same to earlier games like Everquest.
    Oh no bud; EQ and WoW have absolutely NOTHING in common. Ziltch. Zero. NONE.

The sad thing is...the HEX devs are big fans of MT:G. I backed them in the Kickstarter phase and they said were they were getting inspiration from...

After I saw the Kickstarter for Hex I decided I'd never touch it. They were asking for ridiculous amounts of money for deck packs and etc. Magic gets away with their prices because they were basically THE CCG/TCG for a long time and have a huge/loyal fanbase. I don't know why a new startup making DIGITAL cards (no worries with printing cards/packing or organizing events and etc.) feel like they can demand such a premium.

Although I will admit this lawsuits rides a dangerous line. WotC have sat on their hands for FAR too long. I've been waiting a long time for a new company to do with digital CCG/TCG what they did with physical CCG/TCG.
    Last edited by Maconi; 2014-05-15 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihsnek View Post
    The sad thing is...the HEX devs are big fans of MT:G. I backed them in the Kickstarter phase and they said were they were getting inspiration from...
    Being big fans doesn't excuse them to nearly copy-paste the stuff. Getting inspiration from another source is fine and all, but you are supposed to put your own unique twist and flavor to it, and it has to be sufficiently different to not raise eyebrows. Read the full legal complaint I posted, they have very specific examples in the allegations.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals