Brewmaster Reforging/Gemming Advice

Hey guys/gals i'm currently fiddling around with my alt brewmaster and wondering which set-up would be better from a dps standpoint only. The two possibilities are as follows ~

1. Current Set-up
    Agility - 25813
    Mastery - 2767
    Physical Hit - 7.53%
    Expertise - 15.06%
    Crit - 67.27%
    Haste - 17.02%

2. Set up favoring agility
    Agility - 26933 (Gain of 1120 Agi)
    Mastery - 2767
    Physical Hit - 7.50%
    Expertise - 15.00%
    Crit - 65.01% (Loss of 2.26 percent Crit rating)
    Haste - 20.11% (Gain of 3.09 haste rating)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ebear/advanced

Thanks for the advice guys

The amount of AP you get from agility is a drop in the ocean compared to what we get from Vengeance. For BrM dps, crit rating is king.

Also, you have more haste than I'd recommend. Around 5k rating is usually ideal, but you're looking at 7.2k (current setup) or 8.5k (agi setup). If you can handle the slower regen, that's another 2-3k you can move into crit for more damage.

Ok thanks, although i'm not seeing anywhere I can gain crit outside of switching to the dps meta gem?

Huh, I read "alt brewmaster" and just assumed you had bad gear and didn't actually look at what you have equipped, but you're actually better geared than I am! Normally I'd suggest to gem expertise in red and hit in blue so you can pick up socket bonuses and shift your reforges towards crit instead of towards hit/exp, but actually in your case that's not really an option since you already have crit natively on almost all your items and you haven't reforged out of it anywhere.

I dunno, try and get the belt from Garrosh and the ring from Malkorok? You have crit items in literally every other slot besides those, so you're basically wearing BiS already as far as dps goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconslicer View Post
    Huh, I read "alt brewmaster" and just assumed you had bad gear and didn't actually look at what you have equipped, but you're actually better geared than I am! Normally I'd suggest to gem expertise in red and hit in blue so you can pick up socket bonuses and shift your reforges towards crit instead of towards hit/exp, but actually in your case that's not really an option since you already have crit natively on almost all your items and you haven't reforged out of it anywhere.

I dunno, try and get the belt from Garrosh and the ring from Malkorok? You have crit items in literally every other slot besides those, so you're basically wearing BiS already as far as dps goes.
    Typically as a Brewmaster you would never gem for socket bonus outside of a 180 agility bonus. Anything with a 120 or lower socket bonus is usually ignored to gem pure crit or whatever you need since it will benefit you more. The only two instances I could think of for this would be a helm and chest socket bonus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandamaan View Post
    Typically as a Brewmaster you would never gem for socket bonus outside of a 180 agility bonus. Anything with a 120 or lower socket bonus is usually ignored to gem pure crit or whatever you need since it will benefit you more. The only two instances I could think of for this would be a helm and chest socket bonus
    To be accurate the helm is the only one worth gemming hybrid if no expertise is needed. It gives 180 agi for ONE socket. Chest with 3 red sockets (our tier chest for example) gives 180 agility socket bonus meaning 60 agility per socket. Our tier gloves which has 2 red sockets has 120 agility socket bonus meaning 60 agility per socket again.

So it is not logical to look at the total bonus as they all give the same amount of bonus per socket. This of course is different if one or two of the sockets are yellow or blue (if you need hit).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard

Here's what I mean, imagine you have a mediocre pair of boots like the ones from N-Spoils. At 2/2 they look like this:
    - 1078 haste
    - 1062 mastery
    - 1x blue socket -- 60 mastery bonus

and through reforges and gems on your other gear, you're 320 hit short of the cap. (I cheated and picked an item so that reforging gives almost exactly 320 rating, the same as a gem is worth. Obviously it's more complicated in the general case, but this is an example.)

Option 1:
    Gem crit, reforge haste->exp.
    +320 crit (gem)
    +323 hit (reforge)
    -323 haste (reforge)

Option 2:
    Gem hit, reforge haste->crit
    +323 crit (reforge)
    +320 hit (gem)
    -323 haste (reforge)
    +60 mastery (socket bonus)

It's the exact same net result either way, you make the hit cap and trade 320 haste for ~320 crit, but by gemming hit instead of crit you get the socket bonus at no cost.

Obviously if you're swimming in hit from your other items then it's better to gem crit and reforge haste->crit here, but this is the kind of thing that I was talking about. But in OP's case, this isn't really possible because they don't have mediocre boots like these, they have a nice pair of HWF exp/crit boots with a yellow socket.

Quote Originally Posted by keqe View Post
    To be accurate the helm is the only one worth gemming hybrid if no expertise is needed. It gives 180 agi for ONE socket. Chest with 3 red sockets (our tier chest for example) gives 180 agility socket bonus meaning 60 agility per socket. Our tier gloves which has 2 red sockets has 120 agility socket bonus meaning 60 agility per socket again.

So it is not logical to look at the total bonus as they all give the same amount of bonus per socket. This of course is different if one or two of the sockets are yellow or blue (if you need hit).
    I do agree and when I said chest socket bonus I was going by personal exp with most people using the nuroshen chest with said yellow and blue socket in it and didn't convey that clearly.