Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

The Mage solo thread, because who needs a DK ?

Not updated for 7.0.3 / Legion ! That will come

Welcome to the Mage solo thread of MMOC !

Hello fellow Mage ! So you wish to play alone, experience the thrill of solo killing a boss, feeling the overwhelming joy of the last Pyroblast or Arcane Barrage that kills the boss while you're a 2% HP ? You have come to the right place, my friend, but know this : soloing as a Mage is not the easy way. But if you're feeling adventurous, keep reading !

First of all, soloing is Legion is far easier than it was in the previous expansions, mostly because Blizzard finally took care of Mage survivability.

First of all : what specialization to choose ?

Right now, most Mages play fire, but with patch 7.1 and the Arcane and Frost buffs, more and more Mages are starting to play other specs. This guide will be centered on Fire - for now - but will probably include Arcane and Frost before Nighthold comes out.

The available tools

Since Legion, Ice Barrier is now Baseline and was buffed compared to the previous expansions. It now offers a solid absorb with a relatively small cooldown. During soloplay, it should be kept up at all times.

Cauterizing Blink is a Fire artifact talent that heals you for a percentage of your max HP over 6 sec when you use Blink (or Shimmer)

Cold Snap is pretty much the old Regenerative Ice glyph, and also provides 2 charges of Ice Block. Big caveat : we lost the heal that the old Cold Snap provided when you used the spell. Still a great soloing tool though.

Molten Skin is a Fire artifact talent that reduces Physical damage taken by 3/6/9%. Nice to have but you will probably take this last as is offers no offensive bonus.

Scorched Earth provides movement speed when you use Scorch. It is a copy of the old Improved Scorch perk in WoD, except that it now takes 5 Scorches to reach the maximum boost. Not that great, but nice to have.

Belo'vir's Final Stand is a Legendary item that will shield you for 20% of you max HP everytime you use Blink (or Shimmer). Awesome item to have for soloing, but it's a random world drop.

Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus is also a Legendary item that will shield you for 15% of your max HP when you do not take damage for 5 seconds. Not that great since you'll pretty much always be taking damage, but nice to have if you have no better item.

---- Old topic below, will be removed once I've finished the new one

When it comes to soloing the PvE content of World of Warcraft, you mostly hear about DKs, Hunters, even Paladins, Monks and Warlocks doing this kind of stuff. They are, hands down, the best choices to solo, either because they are tanks, or because they have pets that are tanks.

Does that means Mages are worthless for solo ? No, obviously not, or this thread wouldn't even exist

A Mage is not be the strongest or the easiest pick to solo stuff with, but we do have soloing capabilities, despite our low survivability and lack of base self-healing.

So, you might ask, how can I solo stuff with a Mage ?

First of all : what specialization to choose ?

Fire
    - 6% Reduced physical damage taken through Molten Armor
    - Great cleave and mobility, but requires high ilvl

Arcane
    - Best single target DPS, but very little movement

Frost
    - Only Mage spec to have a pet, but low burst DPS and lack of mass AoE

Keep something in mind : depending on what you are trying to solo, your spec will or will not matter. Some encounters are soloable no matter your specialization, others won't let you choose.
    For example, an encounter with high movement required will be much easier as Fire, while another with huge and short burst will be easier as Arcane.

Part two : Ready up ! Gear, talents and Glyphs

Gear

First of all, gear. I'm not going to talk about pure Item Level here, because everything depends on what you want to solo, and on what difficulty. Just be sure that you have an optimized gear for your spec. Make sure to gem and enchant your gear correctly.

But there are some items that will help you if you decide to solo :

Since WoD, healing potions are not on the same cooldown as burst potions anymore, returns more health than Warlock stones and share a cooldown with them. AND it's now a First Aid craft ! An absolute must-have
    These are on the same cooldown as Healing Tonics, but they absorb damage instead of healing you, for approximately the same amount. Perfect for pre-pull or soaking something that would otherwise kill you.
    Bandages are not usable in every situation, but if you can get a few seconds of rest, don't hesitate to use one.
    Leech is a new tertiary stat introduced in patch 6.0.2. It converts a percentage of your damage into self-healing. The stat drop is random and can be on virtually any item, except world drops and crafted items. The more you have the better, so stack it !

Talents

I'm not going to discuss pure DPS / control talents here, only those who matter to soloing.

Level 15 talents

Quite simple : choose Blazing Speed if you need a burst of speed (to kite, quickly get out of an AoE, ...), Ice Floes if you don't. Evanesce is, at the moment, useless due to its lack of synergy with Ice Block glyphs.

Level 30 talents

The easy/lazy choice here is Ice Barrier. Absorbs a fair amount of damage, it's the go-to choice if survivability isn't a major concern. Alter Time is way more powerful, as it can return you to full life if you use it before taking major damage. Also has the added quality (or drawback, depends on the point of view) to return you to where you were standing when you first casted it. Flameglow is way too undertuned to be any use, except if you're tanking a large quantity of adds with low individual damage (Lei Shen) or taking continuous, linear damage (Kromog)

Level 60 talents

99% of the time you'll pick Cold Snap. A second Ice Block every 3 minutes, plus the healing, perfect spell. Cauterize might be useful in very specific situation : basically if you want to avoid a 1shot that ignores invulnerability, altough they are really rare. Greater Invisibility is extremely powerful (90% dmg reduction + removes 2 dots), but drops you out of combat, which is generally not what you want. Take note that T18 Arcane 2P pets does not go invisible, allowing you to stay in combat if you have one out. However, Mirror Images and Frost pet do.

Level 90 talents

Rune of Power and Incanter's Flow are pure DPS talents. If you have no problem with survivability, pick one or the other depending if you have to move or not. Mirror Image is a DPS talent with an added bonus : when you use it, your threat is massively reduced, meaning that the images can tank a boss. Good for destacking a debuff, soaking a powerful attack or an AoE, or kiting. Drawback is that in solo, MI tend to die really quickly due to their low health so it's a colossal DPS loss.

Glyphs
    Spec-specific glyphes aside, there are several glyphs that can help in solo.

Glyph of Ice Block : very situational but can be game changer if you need an immunity to Magic. Mutually exclusive with Glyph of Regenerative Ice.
    Glyph of Regenerative Ice : awesome bonus to Ice Block, heals you for 40% of your health if you stay in your IB for the full duration. Mutually exclusive with Glyph of Ice Block.
    Glyph of Rapid Displacement : if you need extra movement. Glyph of Blink can help too, but you can't have both.
    Glyph of Momentum : a must-have when you are strafing and DPSing at the same time. Be careful, this glyph can be your worst enemy on encounters with knockbacks, because you will blink further away.
    Glyph of Spellsteal : if you have something to steal, this glyph will heal you 4% of your max health per successful steal.

What can a Mage actually solo ?

If you want to know what Mages already soloed, simply follow this link :
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...RsSpgKI9h2Fl3s
    For pictures of kills, look around here : http://magevs.imgur.com/ (courtesy of isaac2314)
    I also make videos, info in my signature.

I hope you enjoyed this guide, if you have any suggestion feel free to message me or simply reply to this thread

Enjoy !
    Last edited by Araitik; 2016-10-31 at 04:47 PM.

Visit my YouTube channel for Mage videos

Mechagnome
    Excellent work! Quite nice

Perhaps you could incorporate some info for specific bosses, if you have time later on.

Hey Araitik, can you tell us a bit of what you have solo'ed until now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cashew View Post
    Hey Araitik, can you tell us a bit of what you have solo'ed until now?
    I think everything out of interest is on his youtube channel.

Wouldn't this be a guide rather than a discussion thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Wouldn't this be a guide rather than a discussion thread?
    TBH we could turn it into both, assuming Araitik updates the OP with gathered information and whatnot.

Glad to see something like this pop up, especially from you, Araitik

Also, I'm gonna miss Glyph of Invocation come WoD. We'll be down to the trinket and Ice Block/Evanescence healing (can't spam), as well as Ice Barrier.
    Uses the same signature for over a year, just randomly gets infracted for it recently.
    Placeholder signature is placeholder and will hopefully make me finish my shit.
    Oh yeah, I'm a Druid and stuff.
    I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    TBH we could turn it into both, assuming Araitik updates the OP with gathered information and whatnot.
    Was just wondering if would want to change the topic to something else, but ye it's a nice thread to have, can gather all dem solo stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Was just wondering if would want to change the topic to something else, but ye it's a nice thread to have, can gather all dem solo stuff here
    I find that guides +discussion tend to be the best because everyone benefits. People can ask questions, debate what the best way to do X is, and also contribute to the OP with new-found strategies for soloing things (like using the Legendary Healer cloak to solo Valithria as a Mage for example). Plus, well, it'll be a lot better than having all those old threads Araitik had scattered around and other people asking about how to solo X (because I know those used to exist).

Could probably have a links section in the OP posting to Araitik's guides for stuff he's already done (because we don't need a ridiculously long/messy OP like my 6.0 one lol) as well as resources to other stuff that's already been posted for specific stuff, like Proving Grounds.

PS: Araitik, I bet you're ecstatic that we can upgrade the Crystal another 8 iLevels First 500 VP of 5.4.9 is totally going into my Heroic one!
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-05-17 at 07:51 AM.
    Uses the same signature for over a year, just randomly gets infracted for it recently.

I will update the OP today with spreadsheets like those who exists in other threads

I find that guides +discussion tend to be the best because everyone benefits. People can ask questions, debate what the best way to do X is, and also contribute to the OP with new-found strategies for soloing things (like using the Legendary Healer cloak to solo Valithria as a Mage for example). Plus, well, it'll be a lot better than having all those old threads Araitik had scattered around and other people asking about how to solo X (because I know those used to exist).

Could probably have a links section in the OP posting to Araitik's guides for stuff he's already done (because we don't need a ridiculously long/messy OP like my 6.0 one lol) as well as resources to other stuff that's already been posted for specific stuff, like Proving Grounds.
    100% this.

PS: Araitik, I bet you're ecstatic that we can upgrade the Crystal another 8 iLevels First 500 VP of 5.4.9 is totally going into my Heroic one!
    I went crazy when the announcement came I had trouble with Omnotron Heroic, it's totally going down come this patch

PS : How would you like a full clear of ICC 25HC as a Mage ? Should come today or tomorrow (Valithria excluded, and Saurfang in 25NM)

Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post
    I went crazy when the announcement came I had trouble with Omnotron Heroic, it's totally going down come this patch

PS : How would you like a full clear of ICC 25HC as a Mage ? Should come today or tomorrow (Valithria excluded, and Saurfang in 25NM)
    Hehe enjoy! I also got REALLY upset when I logged in just an hour ago to find out my Crystal is Heroic and not Heroic WF Really hope I can snag one sometime before WoD because I have a feeling VP and Upgrades will vanish, so you can't upgrade once WoD is out, and with this trinket SCALING due to %s, it'll still be useful at 100, 110, etc

Haha, would love to see it! Best of luck on that stuff x.x; I think the hardest thing I've done so far was "2 man" 25 1-Light Yogg-Saron, and by "2 man" I mean "I brought my Rogue friend along who wasn't all that helpful and does shitty DPS", but this was Arceus (god) knows how long ago.

PS: Still soloing Throne of 4 Winds thanks to you! Never would have expected this to be as easy as I thought, and now I don't even need the Ice Block glyph for it anymore. Rohash dies so quickly with just IV

Flameglow has its uses, don't be so quick to dismiss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendeura View Post
    Not in solo
    This is not a "how to play your mage" thread, it's "how to be alone and still kill the boss"
    Flameglow is always inferior to IB or TS, no matter the fight or the spec you choose.

I'm unsure as to why you say no to Incanter's Ward. It allows Evocation to be a huge heal and you don't need to do anything for a decent damage boost. As fire/frost you can use it for a small damage absorption as well.

I've used Incanter's Ward on Yogg0 and Algalon, Putricide, Sindragosa, and Lich King as Frost in WotLK stuff. In Cata I use IW on all of BWD and BoT.

Then again I also have a 580 Juggernaut Crystal so maybe that skews things compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I'm unsure as to why you say no to Incanter's Ward. It allows Evocation to be a huge heal and you don't need to do anything for a decent damage boost. As fire/frost you can use it for a small damage absorption as well.

I've used Incanter's Ward on Yogg0 and Algalon, Putricide, Sindragosa, and Lich King as Frost in WotLK stuff. In Cata I use IW on all of BWD and BoT.

Then again I also have a 580 Juggernaut Crystal so maybe that skews things compared to others.
    You are completely right, looking at the picture again I can't remember why I colored it red.
    I just fixed it, IW should be yellow now

PS : It is yellow and not green because either RoP or Evoc is still better the majority of times. IW is good on encounters that don't deal massive damage (aka, don't require constant healing) or encounters that require constant movement (Halfus comes to mind)

Thanks for the heads up

- - - Updated - - -

Added a spreadsheet (shamelessly ripped off the DK thread).
    Did not include BC or Vanilla, because c'mon.

As of Naxx 25 and ToCG, I have no information and since I didn't tried myself I can't be sure. If you have solid information about these fights I will include them in the sheet

Thought I'd offer some insight as a ilvl 569 arcane mage. (I do have a 561 jugg trinket)

Regarding Naxx 25, I did the Plague Quarter (Noth, Heigan, Loatheb) just so I could finish Spore Loser which was the last achievement I needed. None of them posed a threat, but Heigan is really annoying with a crippling 500% haste penalty - you'd do well to do enough damage before this point.

Regarding Trial of the Crusader, I have managed to solo all of 25N, and i have the following tips:
    • Bait snobolds into interrupting your non-primary spell school (Northrend Beasts)
    • If you aren't going to kill the jormungar simultaneously, make damn sure you don't leave acidmaw up, or face a 40 second stun (Northrend Beasts)
    • Spam spellsteal on Jaraxxus for an easy kill
    • Might be worth using Flameglow on Champions, but cannot be sure; there are ten enemies doing low damage, ice barrier may still be better
    • Spellsteal the hero buff the Champions throw up for double hero action
    • Kill the adds spawned by Anub'arak before they can melee you or your melee damage taken skyrockets

I almost got a kill on Occu'thar 10N, but this was late at night and I wasn't really trying; it's entirely possible at my gear level.

It's really nice to finally see a dedicated thread for Mage soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by shadoworx View Post
    Thought I'd offer some insight as a ilvl 569 arcane mage. (I do have a 561 jugg trinket)

Regarding Naxx 25, I did the Plague Quarter (Noth, Heigan, Loatheb) just so I could finish Spore Loser which was the last achievement I needed. None of them posed a threat, but Heigan is really annoying with a crippling 500% haste penalty - you'd do well to do enough damage before this point.

Regarding Trial of the Crusader, I have managed to solo all of 25N, and i have the following tips:
    • Bait snobolds into interrupting your non-primary spell school (Northrend Beasts)
    • If you aren't going to kill the jormungar simultaneously, make damn sure you don't leave acidmaw up, or face a 40 second stun (Northrend Beasts)
    • Spam spellsteal on Jaraxxus for an easy kill
    • Might be worth using Flameglow on Champions, but cannot be sure; there are ten enemies doing low damage, ice barrier may still be better
    • Spellsteal the hero buff the Champions throw up for double hero action
    • Kill the adds spawned by Anub'arak before they can melee you or your melee damage taken skyrockets

I almost got a kill on Occu'thar 10N, but this was late at night and I wasn't really trying; it's entirely possible at my gear level.

It's really nice to finally see a dedicated thread for Mage soloing.
    Awesome ! Updated spreadsheet accordingly Marked 10man for TotC too because if you can do 25 you can do 10

Quote Originally Posted by shadoworx View Post
    Mirror Images should fix that issue for Heigan. You can also be Frost and be sure to save a few procs for when this happens if you're too slow (or if you take longer than 30s). Or be Fire and put your Comb on before it happens. You can also use the Conclave of Wind strategy and use Glyph of Ice Block.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendeura View Post
    Over a flat absorb like Ice Barrier? Yeah, no.

As promised, my video of ICC 25 Heroic solo

Everything doable except Saurfang Heroic (should be soloable come patch 5.4.8) and Valithria obviously.

Enjoy !

Araitik what addon you use for track Rune of Power buff??thx for answer

Quote Originally Posted by bl1zzaga View Post
    Araitik what addon you use for track Rune of Power buff??thx for answer
    All my tracking is done with WeakAuras