Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Do people like living in the city?

I have never understood why someone would want to live in a large city. I live on a small 340 acre farm that has been in my family since the early 1900s. When I wake up and walk my dog I hear birds, I see wildlife, and the smells are really nice especially in the spring when everything is in bloom. The people around here are good people. Everyone knows everyone and the crime rate is basically 0. I dont even have to lock my doors when I leave my house. Also pretty much the only bad traffic I have to endure is every now and then someone's farmer is on the road with his big ass tractor.

During the early spring I turkey hunt. In the fall and winter I deer and duck hunt. About the only time there isnt anything to do is the summer and Im fixing that by having a 12 acre pond put in. If I want to go to the beach its an hour and half. If I want to watch football games its about a 2 hour drive over to Charlotte, NC for Panther games. If I want Baseball I can hop on the interstate and its around 3.5 hours to Atlanta. If its Saturday well the Gamecocks have had three 10 win seasons in a row so things are good because its only an hour drive to Columbia.

Everything I want to do is either on my land or a short drive away. So why would someone want to live in a crowded ass city where theres no scenery, everything is overpriced, and there actually is bad crime? Do people actually like living in cities or are you only in a city because of family, school, or a job?

Deleted
    Most people would love a big house in the country, but the cities are where most of the work is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the city. It's very easy to get around from place to place, there are tons of great people around, all my friends are here, and the nightlife is always going.

Chicago!

Deleted
    Växjö is usually quiet. Even though I live in the middle of the city, I can wake up by bird tweets (not as pleasant as it might sound) and see rabbits and rarely deers skipping around on the grass in the residential area. I bike to university and it's almost green the entire 20-minute trip, even if I bike through the middle of the city. Meanwhile, if I feel like getting some chocolate the convenience store is 5 minutes from home, and if I feel like hanging on a pub... I go to the pub in less than 10 minutes! It's great.

You just gotta find the right city.

I don't like living in the city but it's cheaper. Cant afford to buy and maintain a house outside the city.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love living in a city, the bigger the better to be honest. I like to be able to go out when ever I feel like it and being able to find what I'm after.

Live in a close suburb. You get a little of both.

I grew up living in Houston, TX. I left at 19 and if I can help it I won't live in another large city again.

I currently live 12 miles away from a town of 12k, on a 2 acre plot near my family. Collectively we own about 320 acres of the area around us.

Insurance Rates are lower. Crime is Lower. Property taxes are lower. Permitting for renovations are non-existent. Noise level is low (every day at 7:30 a train goes by about 3 miles away. Wildlife is around us and I know all of my nearby neighbors.

The only drawback is the fastest internet speed I can get is 3 meg.

Small price to pay for all the other benefits.

As an aside: my sister is the exact opposite. She left Houston like I did, but moved to San Diego. She hates it out here because they are so few people and you have to drive an hour + to get to a larger town with the social options she wants to engage in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I like living in the city, partly because I like people, like meeting new people and experiencing awesome art/cultural stuff. I like being able to get a good cocktail after work on a Friday night. I like being able to walk across the street and get whatever I want from the local store in the middle of the night. I like quick access to a major intercontinental airport, since I travel overseas a lot. I like being surrounded by progressive people, most of whom don't expect me to be religious, and many of whom come from other countries or culture groups.

Finally, to your points:

1) Most cities have great scenery. Have you ever been here:

or here:

2) Everything is priced as it should be. Most companies pay their employees commensurately with the cost of living, so expensive cities like San Francisco tend to have higher salaries as well.

3) I have been a victim of a crime once in my life. I was a teenager and someone stole the radio out of my car. Crime is simply not something I worry about living in a city. I lock my door when I leave the house and don't worry about it. If you think locking your door is a hardship, I'm not sure what to think.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-05-16 at 02:13 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like city life, and if London had better weather I would still be living there.

I don't mind country life in small doses, but I have a low boredom threshold and going for walks and shooting things only maintains my interest for so long.

Having to travel any meaningful distance to do trivial stuff like buy my niece a birthday card, which I did earlier, seems like a pointless waste of my sunbathing time, and tomorrow I can go to the pub with my brother and get pissed watching Arsenal lose on penalties in the FA Cup final without having to worry about driving home or convincing a taxi driver that he wants to drive me to the middle of nowhere.

I prefer a city, in fact im not a fan of my 1.4 million population city. I'd rather live in an even bigger one like London.

Deleted
    I've lived in a big city and on the country side and both have their charms. In the city there is always something to do. Theater, food, beer and live music are available pretty much always. Prices are lower and you can choose from rustic mom n pops to Michelin style cooking.

Living on the country side has alot of obvious benefits like nature, silence, trees and a sense of calm. But i always prefered to be able to do whatever i want, when i want.
    If want to brew my own liquor or beer i'd just hook up the machines and get started. Hunting and picking mushrooms/berries for cooking is also available (depending on where you live).
    Winters are superb if you live on the country side.. in a city when there is lots of snow its proper hell.

Both are great and my goal will probably be to have both a flat in the city and a small house on the country side.

I loved living in London. The amount of attractions, the convenience of everything being close is just great. I see no real benefit to living in the middle of nowhere, you can visit it easily enough!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I loved living in London. The amount of attractions, the convenience of everything being close is just great. I see no real benefit to living in the middle of nowhere, you can visit it easily enough!
    There's less people in the middle of nowhere. That's a real benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Living in the middle of nowhere is great until you have to buy and maintain a car.

It depends on what you'd define as a city. I went to London for a week last year, and easily regard as one of the most detestable places in the world.

Belfast by comparison, is much smaller; but even then i'd never want to actually live there. Give me a house in the middle of no where or a small village any day of the week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    For you maybe. I think it's the opposite of a benefit.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I live out in the country, and prefer it to the cities I have lived in.

More peace and quiet, and you can do/build anything on your land without penalty.

The countryside is nice... for a week or so, I do like spending some time on the family ranch, but I would never want to live there all the time, 2 weeks tops after that I just get restless and bored.

From my flat pretty much everything is within walking distance, cinema, clubs, resturants, shops, if I feel like meeting up with a mate for a game chess and a beer at a local pub it takes 0 planing. If I feel like going to catch a movie with the gf it takes 0 planing, if I feel like getting smashed in a club it takes 0 planing etc.

I save a crap load of gas money since I dont actually have to use my car much. Crime isnt something Im worried about in the slightest, not a big chance of you being the victim of it, I might as well worry about beeing run over by a car.

My city is rather small by international standards, 550k in the city proper, 1 million in the metro area. Larger cities is even more to my liking.

Both got its pros and cons.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    The number of people in your house shouldn't really change!

Living in the middle of nowhere is great until you have to buy and maintain a car.
    I just don't see the benefits, you get all the fun of making sure your house receives essentials (water, gas, electricity and internet/tv,) you have to go far to get food, it basically requires you to own a car due to lack of public transport, you have to draw terrible maps for people visiting the first time! I just don't enjoy it. Even in a city of 90,000 I think it's bloody tiny and useless.