HotW as resto: How to DPS?

Hi, i've been trying to figure how to maximize hotw damage, as we kinda need it for h: paragons.

ATM i'm spamming wrath while keeping moonfire up. Is there a way to do more damage? Is moonfire worth it? Or maybe should i just go cat?

This isn't terribly hard to figure out on your own with the help of recount and a target dummy.

I'd be suprised if the highest dps does not include emptying the cat's energy bar whenever it's capped.

Indeed it's not "hard", but it's quite time consuming. 20+ tests to account for RNG, just to test with/without moonfire you are looking at almost 4 hours (40 tests * 6 min CD each).

Now add using cat energy with and without moonfire (another 4 hours), feral with/without rake, and feral with/without moonfire.

You can surely see where this is going, and that's why i'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Hi, i've been trying to figure how to maximize hotw damage, as we kinda need it for h: paragons.

ATM i'm spamming wrath while keeping moonfire up. Is there a way to do more damage? Is moonfire worth it? Or maybe should i just go cat?
    Shapeshifting is going to be both a DPS and healing loss - not to mention unless you have an agil staff, you really aren't going to be as effective in kitty/bear as you would wrath spamming, and honestly if your wrath spamming isn't enough - than there is a larger raid issue at hand than your DPS.

kitty form+wep swap+HotW is by far the highest in terms of damage

w/o a wep swap you're just wasting time if you shapeshift, I only really use it for dps on garrosh anyways (or if the boss has seconds to die) it's not like you don't have tons of free time on garrosh anyways

and wep swapping tends to risk your amp trinket bugging out and not updating properly, leaving you below the haste breakpoint on some rare occasions, so imo, it's not worthwhile on prog

but yeah, dots (moonfire/rip)>feral filler/wrath, with no wep swap the damage is almost identical, with a wep swap (Unbuffed), I go from about 100-120k regardless of form to about 170-180k in kitty form at 577 ilvl
    and it's not worthwhile to swap to kitty just for dots unless there's like something to cleave on

but yeah, basically what whydrood said

Edit:
    just remembered the paragons part:
    in that case you really can't do much, what's the part getting you guys?
    getting 1 catalyst?
    getting korven to 10% (are you properly splitting dps on hisek and korven)?
    getting 2 sets of parasites?

because the total enrage timer shouldn't be an issue if you can kill thok and siegecrafter
    are you falling behind on dps because people are dead? in that case, tell them to not be dead
    but yeah melee on paragons is a no no, so don't go kitty, it won't do much more dmg and you'll actually need to do some heals here and there
    Last edited by ryklin; 2014-05-17 at 12:05 AM.

Deleted
    Only "trick" I can think of, is that if you run with Soul of the Forest, use it on Moonfire instead of a healing spell for crazy ticks

Cool

Melee Friendly moment:
    FF>HOTW>Moonfire>Kitty>Weapon swap>Rip>5Combo Finish>Moonfire>Kitty>FF>Rip>combo Finish>Weapon swap>Moonfire>Wrath>FF

Melee unfriendly
    HOTW>Moonfire>Wrath

/dance
    Last edited by Grameha; 2014-05-17 at 08:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by achareat View Post
    Only "trick" I can think of, is that if you run with Soul of the Forest, use it on Moonfire instead of a healing spell for crazy ticks
    Which takes two globals, so it is a dps loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    kitty form+wep swap+HotW is by far the highest in terms of damage

w/o a wep swap you're just wasting time if you shapeshift, I only really use it for dps on garrosh anyways (or if the boss has seconds to die) it's not like you don't have tons of free time on garrosh anyways

and wep swapping tends to risk your amp trinket bugging out and not updating properly, leaving you below the haste breakpoint on some rare occasions, so imo, it's not worthwhile on prog

but yeah, dots (moonfire/rip)>feral filler/wrath, with no wep swap the damage is almost identical, with a wep swap (Unbuffed), I go from about 100-120k regardless of form to about 170-180k in kitty form at 577 ilvl
    and it's not worthwhile to swap to kitty just for dots unless there's like something to cleave on

but yeah, basically what whydrood said

Edit:
    just remembered the paragons part:
    in that case you really can't do much, what's the part getting you guys?
    getting 1 catalyst?
    getting korven to 10% (are you properly splitting dps on hisek and korven)?
    getting 2 sets of parasites?

because the total enrage timer shouldn't be an issue if you can kill thok and siegecrafter
    are you falling behind on dps because people are dead? in that case, tell them to not be dead
    but yeah melee on paragons is a no no, so don't go kitty, it won't do much more dmg and you'll actually need to do some heals here and there
    is 100k and 180k with or without hotw? incase it is with, why the fuck would you go catform when you do 400k dps with sotf moonfire wrath sub 570 ilvl

Deleted
    I'm just starting with a SofT/Moonfire, refresh Moonfire twice without SotF and spam Wrath meanwhile.
    In 10-man HC progress the damage on SC-B in the beginning with Bloodlust was *very* beneficial. Also, with our tactic/movement I could refresh Moonfire with SotF as I needed to run 15s into the fight anyway. So there are always situations where you need to adapt.

- On Paragons I help on Skeer in the beginning and pop it for the last Klaxxi again if enough healers are alive/Berserk is close. With Skeer being dragged to the door I sometimes refresh Moonfire with SotF here as well - I can't dps for full 45s anyway, as I need to help healing when the first set of parasites spawn
    - On Garrosh HC I use it twice: 15s before the TJS-transition first MF/Wrath on Garrosh, then I enter the realm with SotF up, cast SR and then consume SotF for a Hurricane, casting a normal Hurricane afterwards. 2nd HotW during Bloodlust/P3 obviously. Doing 4.5mil+ dmg in the TJS transition which was needed on our 10-man kill and beneficial on our 25-man kill

But tbh, HotW from a Resto Druid is definitely cool, but you should never really "need" it. Using DPS-cloaks on Healers and maximizing dmg with stuff like this was cool last year in our raids, but now I'm just doing it for the lulz - if you meet enrage, I guess too many DPS are down (#agree ryklin).

I was using this quite actively during progression, it was great on norushen considering the tight enrage timer, sha of pride has no damage in the start either, iron iron juggernaught, really helps with 16m extra damage. nazgrim as there is nothing to do for the entire fight. malkorok no time, spoils to get down the big adds faster to save mana, siegecrafter in the start (possibly able to take a belt). Had to quit before we got any further than start of siegecrafter though. but can imagine its right up the ally for the last 2 bosses on 10 man.

The trick though is to control your int proccs, unlike any dps you can control when they procc and you can do it pre fight, and you have plenty of spells that hits enough times to almost guarantee a trinket procc in 5 seconds, so 5 sec put down shroom, rejuv someone, at 1-2 prepot and at the start swiftmend wait for BL to cast, then moonfire boom with 130% haste and both trinket proccs, it hurts like hell. I 've had bad luck with trinkets, so far only flex thok and sha normal and do 400k dps for the first 40 sec, imagine with both hc tf 588 the damage would be insane
    Last edited by theburned; 2014-05-19 at 02:47 PM.

Starting a fight without efflo and pre-hotting, using pot and HotW-DPS-ing with trinket procs is the only planned use of trinket procs I know of. Possibly with the exception of Malkorok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grameha View Post
    Melee Friendly moment:
    FF>HOTW>Moonfire>Kitty>Weapon swap>Rip>5Combo Finish>Moonfire>Kitty>FF>Rip>combo Finish>Weapon swap>Moonfire>Wrath>FF
    There's downtime in that rotation since you have to wait for energy regen in order to get 5 combo points - and finish.