Healing Thok as Resto Shaman

Hello,

I just started to heal SoO normal and I was wondering if there is any recommendation for healing Thok as a resto Shaman?

I found that the interrupt is a pain to deal with and my guild is trying to push as many stacks as possible in P1.

Any advice is welcome.

Use glyph of Riptide. In between casting healing rain, spam riptide on everyone. keep healing stream totem on cd. use your big CD's as instructed, since all healers should be rotating them. The only thing you ever really need to cast is healing rain. Just time it correctly and keep spamming riptide.

I would suggest using Ancestrial Swiftness to get an instant healing rain out. You can also use call of the elements to reset to cooldown on healing stream which can help.

Deleted
    I don't know at what haste you are, and I cannot quite recall if I did this on normal.. I find Rushing Streams more useful than Conductivity. The latter is not much help in the Blood Frenzy phases when you're kiting the boss around.

Other than that I agree with the riptide glyph.

Glyph of Riptide all the way. It's the only fight I ever find it useful on, and if you blanket everyone and pop ascendance, it gets crazy.

Basically, the only new tidbit from this post is Ascendance with blanket Riptide.

Deleted
    For normal progresion I really liked having Elemental Mastery, Conductivity and Glyph of Water Shield.

The combination of popping Elemental Mastery to keep up a haste-boosted Healing Rain up for 45 seconds did an insane amount of healing. And with only 90s cooldown, every other 45s Healing Rain would be boosted like that.
    To extend the rain, I mostely used Healing Surge as it easilly fits in between the screaches/interupts. With all those screaches triggering your Water Shield, the glyph will give you back a boat-load of extra mana.

As usual though, diferent players will like different things, I've tried Rushing Streams, but it felt very weak for me and trying to squize in a Healing Rain every 10-15 seconds became quite difficult for me (14k haste). Also tried it without the Water SHield glyph and actually went OOM spamming Surges!

Talents/Glyph: Conductivity, rest as you like

• Always have Healing rain aktive. Push your Healind Rain with healing surge to +20sec duration (->Conductivity).
    • Try to time your Healing Rain, so that you have a 20sec duration when Thok got 5-6 Stacks
    • Always use Healing Rain with Unleasehd Elements
    • Use Asendance when you need insane aoe heal (will push Healing rain)
    • Use Healing Stream at cd
    • Use at 5-6 Stacks, Healing Tide+Spirit Link
    • You have always the posibility to cast Healing Surge. Even with 10+ stacks of the boss, 1 Healing rain fits between the silence, if good timed

The most important is to avoid being interrupted and spell locked. Even near 30 stacks of acceleration you can squeeze healing rain between screeches, assuming you have the 7613 haste breakpoint.

Watch Thok's castbar and start casting healing rain just after Thok's screech ends.

When possible, plan in advance to cast unleash elements just before Thok's screech ends for the 30% healing rain bonus, but if you don't have time, just refresh healing rain without UE. The most important thing to focus on is not to miss the small window to refresh healing rain between screeches.

When HR doesn't need refreshing, you can go with the riptide glyph and keep refreshing riptide on the entire raid (assuming 10 man).

Also, to push high number of stacks you can stand in several groups in the healing rain instead of all in the center. In 10 man, it switches phases when there are five people below 50% HP within 10 yards. Therefore to extend the phase, you can stand in separate groups and have people drop below 50% without a phase change. When you want to switch phases, all can stack in the center of the healing rain.

If you find you need more mana, you can use water shield glyph, it's overpowered on that fight.
    Last edited by Koor; 2014-05-30 at 09:17 AM.

Deleted
    Glyph wise I would suggest HST/Cleansing Waters/Riptide
    Talents really come down to you and either its 10 man or 25 man. I always use Ancestrial Swiftness for instant HR towards the end (over 20 stacks). In 10 man I prefer Rushing streams cause they cover a lot the raid with HST glyph buff and in 25 man I go with Ancestral guidance. I also find Totemic projection highly useful to move SLT in the middle (takes some practise).

and most important thing: DO NOT GET INTERUPTED

Deleted
    Thok caps out at 2 seconds between each screech, with a cast time of 0.7 seconds. This leaves enough room to get a cast off in between and let the GCD recharge while he is casting. Its difficult to not get interrupted at all, but can be done. Imo, 1 cast of chainheal is worth a lot more than a glyphed riptide, so I suggest you don't use that glyph and run with the setup I use:

Glyphs

Water shield - constant ticking damage from Thok will make you never go oom.
    Healing Stream Totem - the buff covers a good portion of the raid, and is very useful during the poison debuff phase.
    Spiritwalker's grace - +5 seconds is always nice to have if you get targeted by the fixate while needing to heal.

Talents

lvl 15: Stone bulwark or Astral shift. doesn't make a huge difference in the end. I prefer AS because its off the GCD.
    lvl 30: Doesn't matter.
    lvl 45: Totemic Projection. With this I can project my spirit link totem so it hits both stacking groups. Can also project a HST into range of a kiter who needs a heal. Since you're doing normal I think you're just stacking all in 1 spot and just healing as much as you can so you could use CoTE, but even then I'd still recommend projection.
    lvl 60: Ancestral Swiftness. The passive 5% haste is really good along with the instant cast HR you can do if shit hits the fan.
    lvl 75: Rushing Streams. I found from personal testing that it did more healing overall than AG (25man hc perspective). If you use AG with ascendance (which is ridiculously strong), you'll end up wasting a lot of it for overhealing, and by itself it can be considered a normal cd. Rushing streams is also super nice in the poison debuff phase.
    lvl 90: Primal elementalist. 2 out of 5 mins where you have +10% healing? yes pls.

What I do is put Thok on focus and have a huge focus cast bar to see when he casts. If I'm casting while he also is casting, I hit the esc button to cancel the cast. Put down healing rain on cd. In the early stacks you should use UE to buff it, but in the later ones just get it down asap. In between healing rains, pop HST and spam Chain heal without getting interrupted. Watch the stacks and use your cds when assigned to. Get your paladin(s) to spec into clemency if needed for extra BoPs and have them use Devo aura at times where it'll help most (During a tranq, ascendance w/e). Druids can symbiosis a warlock for a personal devo aura i think.

In the first stacking phase, I'm assigned to use my Ascendance on the 8th screech along with a paladin using devotion aura (I recommend a weakaura to track the duration of devo), and my Healing Tide Totem on the 19th. We stack in the middle at around 24-25 stacks to transition into the kiting phase. In the second stacking phase I use my spirit link at around 4-5 stacks and we transition the boss again at around 8-10 stacks. Third stack phase is the exact same cd rotation as first phase. When this is over the boss is usually dead, but if not, we stack all in 1 place during the fire and just use whatever remaining healing cds are left until we transition it.. then kill it in the kiting phase. We usually kill it just as we're exiting the 3rd stack phase.

Keep in mind all this is on heroic, so for normal clumped stacking you just need a decent CD rotation.

Video of a kill during farm night I recorded 2 weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bvlo1_G0ZM
    Logs to that same kill: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...c#type=healing

Thank you guys, I will give Conductivity and glyph of Riptide a try today

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by efwow View Post
    Please keep in mind that Healing Rain does not get extended by using Riptide.

Therefore, there usually exist the two approaches which were already mentioned above:

- Glyph of Riptide + Rushing Streams:
    Spam Riptide on everyone & the whole time, keep Healing Rain down, place HST on Cd

- Conductivity:
    Keep down Healing Rain, Spam healing surge and/or chain heal (preferably chain heal, if you can) inbetween screeches to extend HR, place HST on CD

You usually don't want to use Glyph of Riptide together with Conductivity since when using Conductivity you won't make use of Riptide that much.

Of course, this decision is up to you.

Use AG, Rush Streams doesn't provide the throughput when it's most needed. Throw a fresh Healing Rain down then pop AG and fill with glyphed Riptide and Healing Surge, when that Healing Rain is about to expire prepare to throw a new one down, as soon as the new Healing Rain goes down pop Ascendance and fill; carries my group through from about 12 to 22 stacks on heroic. It's key that you time placing Healing Rain as quickly as possible after the previous one fades. I glyph HST, WS, and Riptide. Talents: AS for more accessible haste breakpoints and the instant cast, AG for the on demand throughput, and PE for the 10% bonus to healing and 20% damage reduction.

For the love of god dont use Conductivity ... the idea of conductivity is that you need to keep casting to maintain the Healing rain... and you wont be casting...and even if you are casting, by the time you finish casting the CH or Surge everyone should be already 100% hp because the next scream is going out soon.

Use Glyph of Riptide, remember to use your Lv 90 totems and dont get interrupted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't use Conductivity it is a shit talent. The only fight you should ever use it on is solo healing Dark Shamans up top on Heroic.

Use Ancestral if you need another cool down, or use Rushing Streams if you don't. A big misconception is that Rushing Streams will result in more Healing, but Ancestral gives more healing WHEN YOU NEED IT. Sure Rushing Streams does more HPS, but if you don't have the burst healing cool down to survive say 20-25+ without it, then Rushing Streams is not as good.

If you have 7k+ Haste you will have more then enough time to cast Healing Rain in-between Screeches, then Glyph Riptide and Water Shield. Rotate using your Fire Ele and Earth Ele for the 10%+ Healing in each Phase 1.
    Feel the hatred of 1̶0̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ 10010 years.

Deleted
    Alright. Seems my previous post was too long for you to read so I'll break it down into a TL;DR

- glyph of riptide is shit, GCDs are better spent on CH/HR
    - Conductivity is shit. Use AG if your raid is missing healer CDs, else Rushing Streams.
    - Cast 1 spell between screams. Don't get interrupted.
    - Assign healer CDs for about every 4-5 screeches.

I thought the glyph of riptide only made riptide a cheap hot that you can spam on the whole raid in order to buff the chain heal also.
    Also how do you guys time you healing with the screeches? you got the boss on focus or something?

I thought the glyph of riptide only made riptide a cheap hot that you can spam on the whole raid in order to buff the chain heal also.
    Also how do you guys time you healing with the screeches? you got the boss on focus or something?
    With the riptide glyph you don't even need to use chain heal in phase 1. Since riptide is an instant cast, you can spam it without risk of being interrupted, and only need to be careful not to get interrupted when refreshing healing rain.

Put Thok on focus, watch his cast bar, then start casting healing rain when he finishes the cast.

I'm using an addon to customize the size and location of the cast bars:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/castbars

Deleted
    Koor already hit the nail.

All you do when using glyph of riptide is spamming Riptide on the raid and keeping HR down. You only have to care about screeches for HR.

That is my standard approach for Thok 10 hc. Always came out above our Resto druid (third healer Disci/monk).
    http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/eu/aegw...hirsty-10H-803

I have mouse-over-macros and usually target the boss. Setting the boss as focus target would also be possible. You simply need to see Thok's cast bar.

Keep HR down as much as possible preferably before a screech

The cleave healing trinket is also OP on this fight

Use AG instead of rushing streams for another CD

Spam RT with the glyth and fill in CH as much as possible between screeches

HST on CD

Use your proper CDs when they are required

Major thing is having HR down when the damage just comes in

we 4 heal all fights on 25 man heres a log from our resto shammy, im the disc http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...X#type=healing, he is no 3 on warcraft logs for resto on this fight.