Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

I miss the fun I had back in BC :(

Been playing 8 years now with an 85+ of each class and 6 or 7 90's. Killed Garrosh a few weeks ago and I just feel empty. Other than raiding I can't find a reason to log in.

In BC my server which was skywall sucked. The best guild wiped of Lady Vashj for 3 months at like 2% I heard. Don't even think the server got into BT by end of the xpac.

I killed the prince in kara once and never did any other raids.

My group couldn't reliably get Shade of Aran each week.

I cleared trash to curator then was sitting outside the back door for an hour while they got a mage in for the 1 tank fight so my bear geared cat form wouldn't shock anyone which annoyed the hell out of me.

I ran SV for the CE rep items so much the place to this day makes me sick to the stomach.

The only H 5 man done much was Mech and most of the others needed guild groups cause they were apparently too hard for pugs.

Yet even with all of this BC was still the most fun and memorable times in WoW.

LFR and Flex and Normal being alot easier to get groups for and beat is all well and good and it is nice to see it all but when you have seen everything already and theres still 6 months or more of nothing till a new expansion it gets annoying and boring waiting for half a year.

Having new stuff that you haven't seen yet gives you something to look forward to and to log in for. But having beat normal and not really being good enough to do heroics, which lets face it its the same boss with a few new twists and hurts more. It leaves you looking back to the good old days when it might of been hard but there was always a new boss waiting for you to get to and you couldn't skip content.

So many players feel that they don't need to make an effort on normal because if they can do LFR in ungemed and unenchanted gear then they should be able to in normal.

Blizzards view of wanting players to see the content they have created is good but why if they want their work seen and experienced do they then seem to say the complete opposite by making it so easy to skip all the old tiers and the older expansions raids? Is only blizzards current work good and worth seeing? Doesn't make sense because if its not worth seeing now then it never was because the moment WoD comes out the good SoO suddenly becomes old news blizzard won't care about anyone experiencing.

Once a new normal comes out noone wants to do the old anymore simply because you can bypass it. I know alot who were happy to be in kara near the end of BC but the moment heart of fear came out MV groups disappeared overnight. Don't think anyone on my server has run an MV, HoF, ToES or ToT proper runs since SoO came out. WoW keeps losing players at the end of expansions because players have no new current content they haven't seen because blizzard pushed people into the last raid by all of this catching up bull. A full set of 496 epic gear should take more than 10 minutes of opening chests on a freebie island to get. You shouldn't be in the highest raid in the game 10 minutes after you hit the level cap.

I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree. Back in BC my guild had Kara and 1 boss in ZA on farm but we never managed to progress further, and the idea of 'oh there's more raid bosses out there I won't get to see' did nothing to keep me motivated.

I don't have an issue with tier skipping either. It makes it easier for people who are coming back to the game or switching characters for whatever reason easier, and it doesn't force guilds to go back and raid tiers they've already been through to gear out new characters or to complete attunement quests. Timeless isle swings a bit too far and makes it TOO easy I think but the concept itself I'm fine with.

I agree that the long gaps between the final tier and the next expansion is a problem and very annoying, but honestly having more content out there that I haven't seen and won't get to see until I out level doesn't keep me invested and motivated. My guild in BC simply hit a progression wall and by the end of it I was so sick of Kara I wanted to vomit. Now with the multiple difficulty levels everyone can have a sense of progression, rather than in BC where if you couldn't make the jump from 10 to 25 player raids you Kara/ZA group wasn't going anywhere new.

All in all I don't think people who took a break or are new to the game mid expansion necessarily WANT to grind through old raids for months to get to the new and current content anyway. People want to keep up with the story an experience the new content. If raids were stand alone things perhaps I wouldn't mind if only an elite few like in Vanilla/BC got to see them all, but they're not just rooms with giant monsters. They are, for the most part, the climaxes of stories that are built up through quests and dungeons.

I'm sorry you don't have as much fun as you did back in BC, but for me I've been having more fun in MoP than I did in BC.

Sense of Accomplishment

that is what it is you are missing, and it is pretty much gone from WoW at this point. when everything in the game is handed out in easy-mode format the feeling you get even when defeating a new boss has changed from "HELL YES WE GOT THAT BASTARD DOWN!!" to killing a heroic boss and feeling like "meh, we've already killed him on 3 other difficulties, whoop-di-fucking-do"

Earned success vs given success.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    Sense of Accomplishment

that is what it is you are missing, and it is pretty much gone from WoW at this point. when everything in the game is handed out in easy-mode format the feeling you get even when defeating a new boss has changed from "HELL YES WE GOT THAT BASTARD DOWN!!" to killing a heroic boss and feeling like "meh, we've already killed him on 3 other difficulties, whoop-di-fucking-do"
    This, aslong with WHEN YOU DO GET SOMETHING GOOD, its quickly on to the next target. Inn TBC one off my fondest memories are getting shit like exalted Cenarion Circle as one of the like first 3 druids on the realm and getting my awesome Earth Warden weapon! Shit was exciting.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to break it to you, but the fun you had was because the game was still fresh and new, not because it was better.

Raiding today is miles ahead of what it was in BC (Heroic, normal/lfr/flex don't count).

The best chance you have to try and get part of that feeling back, is play wildstar at launch. hard dungeons at max level (like tbc heroics), long attunement quests for raids and epic 20-40 man raids.

Jump on it, and even though it won't be the same - that's impossible -, it can be a very fun ride , unless you really dislike the game, in that case, scratch what i said

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Raiding today is miles ahead of what it was in BC (Heroic, normal/lfr/flex don't count).
    normal/lfr/flex don't count........ just their existence puts raiding miles BEHIND where the game was AT LAUNCH

Deleted
    I hate to break it to you, but the fun you had was because the game was still fresh and new, not because it was better.

I didn't realize we were having pretend fun. Thanks for clearing things up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    normal/lfr/flex don't count........ just their existence puts raiding miles BEHIND where the game was AT LAUNCH
    No it doesn't, but i got to agree that experiencing the big PvE style of the game on a less difficult difficulty makes it faster to become boring.
    But well i rather have 80% of the people see the actual raid then 4% of the people
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not having fun anymore because all of your friends quit along with the community you loved. It's who you play with that dictates how fun the game can be. WHen you're playing by yourself....then yeah.

The argument that only 4% of the population saw content is such bunk. I was on a shit hole server and by the end of Vanilla most everyone had seen through AQ40. Sure Naxx had still be less seen, but they did put Naxx out then do TBC shortly after. Content that isn't seen by everyone is a good thing. The idea that they have to cater to everyone and make it accessible is just dumb. And before I get quoted and flamed to hell, I don't raid anymore. Hell I'm not even subbed. Real progression for people is better then the buffet line the game has become. And it shows in player retention and rate of content.

Deleted

This. 10chars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peteed1985 View Post
    Been playing 8 years now with an 85+ of each class and 6 or 7 90's. Killed Garrosh a few weeks ago and I just feel empty. Other than raiding I can't find a reason to log in.

In BC my server which was skywall sucked. The best guild wiped of Lady Vashj for 3 months at like 2% I heard. Don't even think the server got into BT by end of the xpac.

I killed the prince in kara once and never did any other raids.

My group couldn't reliably get Shade of Aran each week.

I cleared trash to curator then was sitting outside the back door for an hour while they got a mage in for the 1 tank fight so my bear geared cat form wouldn't shock anyone which annoyed the hell out of me.

I ran SV for the CE rep items so much the place to this day makes me sick to the stomach.

The only H 5 man done much was Mech and most of the others needed guild groups cause they were apparently too hard for pugs.

Yet even with all of this BC was still the most fun and memorable times in WoW.

LFR and Flex and Normal being alot easier to get groups for and beat is all well and good and it is nice to see it all but when you have seen everything already and theres still 6 months or more of nothing till a new expansion it gets annoying and boring waiting for half a year.

Having new stuff that you haven't seen yet gives you something to look forward to and to log in for. But having beat normal and not really being good enough to do heroics, which lets face it its the same boss with a few new twists and hurts more. It leaves you looking back to the good old days when it might of been hard but there was always a new boss waiting for you to get to and you couldn't skip content.

So many players feel that they don't need to make an effort on normal because if they can do LFR in ungemed and unenchanted gear then they should be able to in normal.

Blizzards view of wanting players to see the content they have created is good but why if they want their work seen and experienced do they then seem to say the complete opposite by making it so easy to skip all the old tiers and the older expansions raids? Is only blizzards current work good and worth seeing? Doesn't make sense because if its not worth seeing now then it never was because the moment WoD comes out the good SoO suddenly becomes old news blizzard won't care about anyone experiencing.

Once a new normal comes out noone wants to do the old anymore simply because you can bypass it. I know alot who were happy to be in kara near the end of BC but the moment heart of fear came out MV groups disappeared overnight. Don't think anyone on my server has run an MV, HoF, ToES or ToT proper runs since SoO came out. WoW keeps losing players at the end of expansions because players have no new current content they haven't seen because blizzard pushed people into the last raid by all of this catching up bull. A full set of 496 epic gear should take more than 10 minutes of opening chests on a freebie island to get. You shouldn't be in the highest raid in the game 10 minutes after you hit the level cap.
    Go play on a Private TBC server then. Also, your guild SUCKED Donkey balls. We cleared Kara in 1st week without any problems what so ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Malzra, I think tier skipping is very bad design.

Blizzard should simply do 2 things:
    1 - Make gear upgrade costs vary with tier
    2 - change stuff whenever they add a new tier:
    2.1 - increase loot amount from older tiers
    2.2 - add upgrade levels to stuff 2 tiers below
    So by the time SoO came out, ToT should yield +100% loot, HoF/etc would yield +200% and MV would yield +300%
    gear below ToT would have +X upgrade levels.

You shouldn't be encouraged to ignore content.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyBoi3 View Post
    You're not having fun anymore because all of your friends quit along with the community you loved. It's who you play with that dictates how fun the game can be. WHen you're playing by yourself....then yeah.
    Exactly this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    Earned success vs given success.

That is spot on, it is the root of the issue.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Don't check any wow related info web stuff...at all.(This way you will be amazed when new things pop up every few months and you won't worry about x number of months passing without anything new....it will always be new because you will be stumbling around stabbing the wrong stuff for many weeks)

Not to see the "latest news" not to "read up on fights" no spoiler clicks no info gathering ...zip zilch nadda.(This way you won't have any clue how to do things or where things are,start,end so you can spend days trying to finish one "go get this" quest)

Act as if WoW doesn't exist anywhere but your computer...and only YOUR machine...no one else plays it but you.(Do not ask for help or anything)

Also, do not play ANY other video,arcade,w/e games at all. (This way you won't see mechanics you have seen or will see in WoW this will ensure ..along with the above that you have months and months on one boss,thing that kills you over and over because you are figuring it out yourself...and when you achieve something ..like a purple or a title, it will mean you did it without anyone else s help...all you.)

Most of all , do not post , read etc anything on this board ...so you wont have to deal with useless snarky borderline insulting posts like this one.

Truely , not joking ...for the most part ...ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Go play on a Private TBC server then. Also, your guild SUCKED Donkey balls. We cleared Kara in 1st week without any problems what so ever.
    So you cleared Kara the week of janurary 9th?

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    That is spot on, it is the root of the issue.
    couldn't agree more