Deleted

Thinking about building a new PC - when is the right time?

The summer is almost here and I was thinking about selling my old PC (cost me $2500) to get some of the money I spent on it back (is it better to sell it as parts or as a set?) because I intend to play very little during summer and I can make due with my laptop.

I've also been out of the loop for a while now so when it will be the right time to put something together? I want something high end, probably with some kind of VR headset although quality over brand and fancy gimmicks is more important.

I only made this post because I feel like right now might not be the best time and I still have some preparations to make.. like save money for it for example.

Deleted
    There is never a good time to buy pc, always something new coming up just around the corner. You just have to buy it when you need it. Sometimes you get lucky, like if you bought Core i5-2500K when it was launched in 2011 you got a CPU that is still very relevant to this day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    There is never a good time to buy pc, always something new coming up just around the corner. You just have to buy it when you need it. Sometimes you get lucky, like if you bought Core i5-2500K when it was launched in 2011 you got a CPU that is still very relevant to this day.
    Yep did that That's Why I don't think its worth upgrading it right now especially if I plan on not playing much during the summer. My computer can run pretty much everything now but it will probably start to struggle with some games on maxed settings in a year or maybe even less. So basically, when does the next gen stuff hit the markets? New video cards, CPUs, VR goggles.. I want something that feels like an improvement instead of Windows loading up 20% faster and stuff like that..

Deleted
    Wait 12 months, for Broadwell and the power-efficient architectures from the GPU manufacturers. Until then, keep your current rig.

Deleted
    Rule #1: if you need to upgrade now, upgrade now ...
    Rule #2: if you don't need to upgrade right away, wait for new hardware ...

as has been already stated z97 motherboards are hitting the market right now but there are hardly any other components to take advantage of those boards.
    z97 mobos will feature Sata Express for new hard drives (none out yet) as well as for new CPUs like Devil's Canyon and Broadwell.
    Also nVidias 800 Series should launch some time "soon" ...
    DDR4 is the next leap in RAM technology and will be supported by new and upcoming boards ...

long story short: by the end of the year there will be a plethora of new and exciting components to chose from.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    Rule #1: if you need to upgrade now, upgrade now ...
    Rule #2: if you don't need to upgrade right away, wait for new hardware ...

as has been already stated z97 motherboards are hitting the market right now but there are hardly any other components to take advantage of those boards.
    z97 mobos will feature Sata Express for new hard drives (none out yet) as well as for new CPUs like Devil's Canyon and Broadwell.
    Also nVidias 800 Series should launch some time "soon" ...
    DDR4 is the next leap in RAM technology and will be supported by new and upcoming boards ...

long story short: by the end of the year there will be a plethora of new and exciting components to chose from.
    Stick to rule number two and you'll never upgrade anything. Stuff always gets delayed, then something new is announced and you end up waiting for that... Buy it when you need / want it.

Platform lifespan is incredibly short nowadays, so if you're like the average person who upgrades maybe every three years or so one if not two CPU sockets have come and gone.

E: And if past is to be believed, DDR4 will be very expensive for first year or two with minimal gains over cheap, high speed DDR3.
    Last edited by mmoc58ad131b44; 2014-05-18 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Q4 of 2014. Q1 of 2015. Best time to upgrade. Buying a new pc then means it`ll be relevant for another 3-4 years MIN.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormkhan View Post
    Q4 of 2014. Q1 of 2015. Best time to upgrade. Buying a new pc then means it`ll be relevant for another 3-4 years MIN.
    I'd wait until Black Friday, in that case. Because you'll find some stupid-amazeballs offers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    Stick to rule number two and you'll never upgrade anything. Stuff always gets delayed, then something new is announced and you end up waiting for that... Buy it when you need / want it.
    not true ... especially for gaming. also "need" is subject to opinion.
    one maybe "needs" to upgrade because he hates playing with less than 60fps constantly ...
    i for example "need" to upgrade because my current PC can't handly Diablo 3 with minimum settings at 60fps ... it's a stutter fest ... sadly (in my case) i don't have the money to upgrade right now

as long as one is satisfied with the power his pc holds it is #2.
    as soon as one is no longer satisfied and wants more it is #1 ... (and of course if something breaks ^^ that's #1 too)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    not true ... especially for gaming. also "need" is subject to opinion.
    one maybe "needs" to upgrade because he hates playing with less than 60fps constantly ...
    i for example "need" to upgrade because my current PC can't handly Diablo 3 with minimum settings at 60fps ... it's a stutter fest ... sadly (in my case) i don't have the money to upgrade right now

as long as one is satisfied with the power his pc holds it is #2.
    as soon as one is no longer satisfied and wants more it is #1 ... (and of course if something breaks ^^ that's #1 too)
    You just spent 6 lines repeating what I said and meant: "Buy it when you need / want it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    I'd wait until Black Friday, in that case. Because you'll find some stupid-amazeballs offers.
    Yea but I think it's still too early then, besides most of the deals seem to be cheap and low quality stuff they just want to get rid of if you dig a little deeper.

I read all youre replies (thank you) and while I agree that its best to upgrade when I actually need it, I made this topic for a different reason. Namely I want to sell my PC now and use my laptop, which is quite decent and can play most games but probably not many on max settings till the new parts come out. So while waiting for 6-9 months would be fine, I don't think I want to wait 2 years That would be too long.. oh and yes, Im basically hoping to buy DDR4, Skylake, not Broadwell (only offers lower power consumption?).. some huge and fancy new video card (s) coupled with VR goggles or a high res monitor. But I have no idea when the truly next gen parts will come out.

Deleted
    Broadwell was already delayed to Q4 of 2014 - Q1 of 2015 so Skylake could be released in 2016. DDR4 is supposed to arrive this year, but it will be ridiculously expensive for the first year or so.

Oculus rift should be available late 2014 - early 2015.

Devil's Canyon is your best bet unless you want to wait 1-2 years.