Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Glad we can see you can pull shit from your ass. Where in my statement did I say I would double the rent because your pay doubled? All I said is that I can increase it. Also if your reading comprehension wasn't that of a 3rd Grader, you would have read that I stated in the short term things would get better, but in the long run it would end up back in the same state where it is now. You know, 'cuz short term I can't raise your rent due to a lease, but long term I can because all leases have an end date!

Lease agreements can be 6 month, 12 month or whatever. Yeah while in one rent can't go up. But as soon as it ends..it can and usually does. When you renew a lease, you do not automatically keep the same rent amount. If you would actually read a lease agreement, the very next day from the data on the end of your lease agreement, the rent can be increased at the discretion of the property management team.
    Outright insulting me because you're trying to advocate shady business practice as normal is pretty sad. In the long run things would actually be much better. If you give someone more money, they in turn use that money for goods and services. When more goods and services are needed more people are hired to handle the workload. When more people are working more money is being made by all levels. I don't see where your logic that we all end up in our faces in the long run makes sense. It's more likely to be the short term that suffers as all the doomsayers will hit their respective panic button and start firing people like they did with Obamacare and later find out that the sky is indeed not falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Outright insulting me because you're trying to advocate shady business practice as normal is pretty sad. In the long run things would actually be much better. If you give someone more money, they in turn use that money for goods and services. When more goods and services are needed more people are hired to handle the workload. When more people are working more money is being made by all levels. I don't see where your logic that we all end up in our faces in the long run makes sense. It's more likely to be the short term that suffers as all the doomsayers will hit their respective panic button and start firing people like they did with Obamacare and later find out that the sky is indeed not falling.
    And you continue to put words in my mouth. I did not say I advocate such practices nor did I say that everyone does it. Get off these forums and go back to school.

Minimum wage has increased by ~2900% since 1938 (.25/hour to $7.25/hr), which is ~avg. 40% a year increase. And look where everything is. Yeah...so you think increasing minimum wage from $7.25 to say $15/hr (~206% increase) is going to make some crazy radical change in the Country and everyone will be living in fluffy care bear land and no one will be poor or on welfare anymore? Pull your head from your ass.

And ObamaCare in its current state is a joke. Instead of giving you the option of paying a shit ton of money for insurance (to pay for those that don't have it) you are not forced to pay for it. I have not been to a Doctor since 2006. Health insurance for myself is just money being taken from my paycheck, without any benefit to myself.
    Last edited by Skalm; 2014-05-21 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you continue to put words in my mouth. I did not say I advocate such practices nor did I say that everyone does it. Get off these forums and go back to school.

Minimum wage has increased by ~2900% since 1938 (.25/hour to $7.25/hr), which is ~avg. 40% a year increase. And look where everything is. Yeah...so you think increasing minimum wage from $7.25 to say $15/hr (~206% increase) is going to make some crazy radical change in the Country and everyone will be living in fluffy care bear land and no one will be poor or on welfare anymore? Pull your head from your ass.
    The real value of the minimum wage has actually declined precipitously.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The real value of the minimum wage has actually declined precipitously.

IMAGE OMITTED
    Yeah, it has, due to inflation and other factors. But that was not my point. My point was that just increasing minimum wage is not the cure-all to the current state this country is in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it has, due to inflation and other factors. But that was not my point. My point was that just increasing minimum wage is not the cure-all to the current state this country is in.
    It is one of the necessary components to a cure.

So stop your baseless arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like your name OR your avatar.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Didn't say it was the norm, just said that people do it.
    Glad to hear you say that, but you had implied it as though it was the norm or at the very least a rampant problem. Since it isn't though, there wasn't much point in bringing it up in regards to reasons why people can't live off minimum wage.

Northern, Ca. Never worked for min. wage. I have always been paid above. Manual labor jobs rarely paid min. wage where I lived. It also comes down to the types of jobs people are willing to do. Some people will complain there are no jobs or whatever, but they will also refuse to work in certain job areas.

Heck I'm guilty of that last part, as I refuse to and will never work in the fast food industry again. Working at a Snack Bar for a summer at a Lake was enough of that type of job for me.
    I have worked for minimum wage and in most areas, it isn't livable it is actually less of a problem in California I have heard than elsewhere as they get paid at least an extra 75 cent an hour compared to other states such as where I live. But don't know for sure on that.

Manual labor jobs out here are across the board though, they range from $7.25 an hour to over $12 an hour starting with top pays ranging over $20 an hour, but those higher scales take years to get and anything with a top pay over $10 an hour is hell to get, for every opening you see posted, they literally have hundreds to thousands of applications for that 1 position. Most of the ones at minimum wage around here are quite literally stuck at it with no real chance of getting out of it any time soon.

But the fact remains, in most of the US, you can not support yourself off of minimum wage without either relying on handouts from others (this includes room mates and welfare) or doing something illegal.

The problem is that just a wage increase will not fix the underlying issues. And while it may fix the issue in the short run, everything will just end up back where it is now. The only difference will be that #'s will change on people's paychecks.

Say I'm a dirt bag property owner and you rent from me. Well now that minimum wage has gone from $8/hr to $16/hr that means you theoretically have double the money you had before. Guess what? I am going to raise the rent now, because I know that the majority of my renters have more disposable income.

Now say many places did that? Now we are back to square one.
    Tying it to inflation where they are forced to readjust is as the rates go up will actually work a ways towards that as evidenced by the rest of the world who makes sure minimum wage == livable wage. The main reason we are in this situation now is the fact that minimum wage was been held back and suppressed to the point that it is nowhere near what it once was and to set it back on track will not be a gradual change like it should have been the whole time so it will shock the system, but even that short term shock is better than the long term stagnation.