LF Advanced Task Killer style program for PC

Just curious if anyone is familiar with a program for PC that works on the same basic idea as ATK for smart phones? When I open my task manager there are about a bazillion programs running and I am not sure what most of them are. Any advice would be helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Stazkat View Post
    Just curious if anyone is familiar with a program for PC that works on the same basic idea as ATK for smart phones? When I open my task manager there are about a bazillion programs running and I am not sure what most of them are. Any advice would be helpful.
    You can always Google a process to find out what it is. A good reference website, last I checked, for optimization is http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Moved to Computer

Thanks. I just realized I put in wrong forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you trying to achieve by this? Most of the bazillion programs in the background are necessary for your computer to run correctly. If you have a lot of programs on startup that you don't want, try going into each of them and disabling start at windows boot. If they don't have this option, go to "Run," and type in "msconfig." When in msconfig, you can enable or disable programs from starting when windows boots, as well as services which run in the background.

Knowing this, you should be careful about what you choose to disable, and if there is anything you don't know about, google the process first.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowdoya View Post
    You can always Google a process to find out what it is. A good reference website, last I checked, for optimization is http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler10307 View Post
    What are you trying to achieve by this? Most of the bazillion programs in the background are necessary for your computer to run correctly. If you have a lot of programs on startup that you don't want, try going into each of them and disabling start at windows boot. If they don't have this option, go to "Run," and type in "msconfig." When in msconfig, you can enable or disable programs from starting when windows boots, as well as services which run in the background.

Knowing this, you should be careful about what you choose to disable, and if there is anything you don't know about, google the process first.
    I am mostly just trying to stop anything that is not needed. Just figured I could improve my computers performance by stopping tasks that do not need to be running. Thanks for the info about msconfig. I will be giving that a try.

Before you start disabling things, make damn sure it is not essential for your computer to function and it is not something that you use(printer drivers for example) on a regular basis.

What kind of specs does your computer have? When do you run into performance problems(opening programs, gaming, browsing websites, watching online videos, etc)? Might be able to help figure out what is making it run slow(if it's not the hardware itself) and give you some possible fixes.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Clear your startup programs from msconfig -> Startup. You don't need a third-party software for that. Also, even if you disable something important (eg. some critical services), you will be forced to restart at worst. So don't be afraid that much.

Process Hacker can differentiate between processes created by Local Service, Network Service, System and the user itself.
    You just want to pay attention to the user processes for now.
    Then you basically google the processes one by one. If it's not needed, stop it from msconfig and regedit, or uninstall the program entirely..