Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    PTSD from reading a story. Either attempting to exploit a mental condition (far from the first or last time pieces of shit have done that) or true morons.
    Or, you know, they already had PTSD from their rape or being in war and the stories trigger the symptoms again. thats how I read it, not that the stories themselves caused PTSD

Deleted
    PTSD from reading a story. Either attempting to exploit a mental condition (far from the first or last time pieces of shit have done that) or true morons.
    Flashbacks among with other things. It doesn't actually give you PTSD if you don't have it... How the hell did you read it?

10+ Year Old Account
    now i wish i didnt remember that memory. Making me upset and reluctant to get into a pool again >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Yeah, we have those because parents were too stupid to check out a movie or games before letting their children watch or play theme.
    Regardless of whether or not that's true, these are basically the same thing right? I think people are this upset about them because they're called trigger warnings and not ratings or something. Although I agree that if you can't handle what's being taught in a class you shouldn't be there.

10+ Year Old Account
    PTSD is a mental disorder associated with cetain stimuli causing them to vividly recall certain traumatic events. For example, car backfiring sounding like a cannon = veteran reliving almost getting blown up. The stimuli don't cause PTSD, they cause the symptoms by confusing reality with their memories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    now i wish i didnt remember that memory. Making me upset and reluctant to get into a pool again >.<
    This thread neeeds dead dog and pool trigger warnings attached to the title. GET ON THIS MODS!
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    This thread neeeds dead dog and pool trigger warnings attached to the title. GET ON THIS MODS!
    I know right? My poor puppy, blood dripping out of his nose, stiff as a board. Damn you lack of trigger warning!

ack amg. someone hit me with something happy stat! Because fuck this memory. Its been over a year already.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the harm in issuing a content warning if something is of a graphic nature. Let people know what the subject is and it's up to them whether they stay in that class session, pretty harmless and straight forward really. If they've lost out on something for the class, that it their own choice.

As much as we shouldn't coddle and encourage an oversensitive society that reacts stupidly to stupid crap (like throwing tantrums over stupid things), nor should we expect everyone to somehow become emotionless, unaffected, cold, and militaristic in demeanor.

IMO...
    Wrong: "Oh this bothers you? Stop being a baby."
    Correct: "This bothers you? Then you can choose to be voluntarily excluded, sans judgement."
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-05-21 at 12:51 AM.

Dont want to live in a world where we might see something offensive now would we?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

You do know there's a different between getting PTSD and having something set off PTSD right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I know right? My poor puppy, blood dripping out of his nose, stiff as a board. Damn you lack of trigger warning!

ack amg. someone hit me with something happy stat! Because fuck this memory. Its been over a year already.
    All the happiness ever can be derived from this picture. Harvest mouse + dandelion + close up = happiness.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    aww so cuuute! Dis is why ii like you despite our opposing views

I personally don't have any issue with Trigger Warnings. I think it's a good thing that people are warned. I can definitely see someone that has been sexually assaulted and all of a sudden with no warning a video of a rape happens. it would be traumatizing.

In the case of veterans, real life examples are things like WW2 veterans having flashbacks when they saw the DDay invasion in Saving Private Ryan. That was graphic, and too many, they had to walk out.

I just personally don't see how providing warnings can be a bad thing. Hell, for some, providing said warnings are the cue for some that the class is about to get interesting. And if nothing else, provides those with issues a buffer to mentally prepare themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Because you're teaching people that there will be triggers to protect their innocent little minds whenever they'll need them, and there won't be.

How is that helping them at all? It's treating them like 4 year olds, not the adults they're meant to be.
    somethings will hit people hard even if their tough as nail. Warning people about should things is considering thing to do.

Although I think your a little harsh. I see you have point VoodooGaming. That's why i said that this will be screwed be screwed for all the wrong reasons and the I hope it becomes helpful rather than hindering.

15+ Year Old Account
    guess i have to edit the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm pretty sure this was required reading in 9th grade. It might have been a different year, but I definitely read it in high school. I think it was less traumatizing overall than Holden Caulfield's entire whiny, wannabe nihilistic shtick, but whatever.
    That's a funny way to spell "mind numbingly dull". In both cases.

I personally don't care either way on this. Trigger warnings aren't a bad idea, but I can't really think of any material in a class that would require a trigger warning, unless its a specialized course (medical, biology, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    and how does a person know what is about to be presented could trigger a PTSD like response is that person going to need a psychological evaluation report on every one present so to know to give trigger warning on the content?
    Don't need any of that to just say "by the way, trigger warning, this particular part of the subject deals with rape."

Shit people on Tumblr manage to do it, why can't professionals?

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Regardless of whether or not that's true, these are basically the same thing right? I think people are this upset about them because they're called trigger warnings and not ratings or something. Although I agree that if you can't handle what's being taught in a class you shouldn't be there.
    They could use the rating system for it but the reasoning behind them are not the same. The rating system came about because parents wanted an easy way to screen movies/games to make sure they were age appropriate. People want trigger warnings in order to protect people with, shall I say, fragile minds. Which is not helping them in the long run because it is not teaching them coping skills. It would make more sense for students to demand more mental health workers and fight to remove the stigma that seeking mental health help has. Fighting for trigger warnings is just a band aid on a wound that needs stitches.