5.4.8 Gear optimization in interim.

Hello, fellow rogues.

As we all know, patch 5.4.8 went live today, and quadruple upgrading pieces will unfortunately change your optimal reforge because of hit and expertise. Unfortunately, the go-to optimizer (shadowcraft) does not support 4/4 upgrades, for the time being at least. Until it does, here is a workaround for you.

1: AMR does support 4/4 upgrades, so you can use AMR to get your optimum gemming/reforging.

As we all know, AMR does not use scaling values for your gear so there are two options to get the correct values. One is to use shadowcraft and get "close enough" scaling values with all your gear at 2/2.

Optionally, you can derive your scaling values from simcraft (using simcraft is beyond the scope of this post) to get scaling values with your upgrades. To change your double upgrade to quadruple upgrade, just change upgrade=2 to upgrade=4 on any quadruple upgraded pieces in your simcraft profile. This even works with the 5.4.7-4 build of simc.

Mods: Please lock this thread once shadowcraft is updated. I'm only posting it to help the community in the interim.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2014-05-20 at 06:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely! Thanks for posting this, and feel free to throw me a PM when ShC is updated so I can take it down.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    H1: AMR does support 4/4 upgrades, so you can use AMR to get your optimum gemming/reforging.
    To clarify - WoW Armory doesn't currently support the new upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    To clarify - WoW Armory doesn't currently support the new upgrades.
    To further clarify, the armory will show the piece at 0/2 instead of 4/4. In AMR you just need to manually change the upgrade to +16ilevel on pieces you upgrade, then optimize using scaling values you derive from simcraft or shadowcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    For someone who did not finish progression yet and is not by any means close to BiS, is it better to upgrade the HWF pieces first or H non-WF more valuable itens like Weapons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    is it better to upgrade the HWF pieces first or H non-WF more valuable itens like Weapons?
    Typically: weapons (greatest damage increase/level), trinkets (same deal), then total valuable stats - due to reforging, etc. this may vary slightly, but it should hold true 95% of the time. If you can't spend 2k this week, you should consult in more depth before acting. If you can't spend 2k this week, though, I'd be shocked.

While you're looking at exponential scaling, the increase to an item is based on its stats, regardless of what ilevel it is (so, for the same secondary stat options, you'd upgrade a H chest over a HWF neck, for example, because the chest will still have more stats). Knowing that its exponential shows the greater curve over time.

EDIT: Cloak may not be a good use of points. Will update. Unless the interface is wrong and the proc is affected.
    Last edited by Kael; 2014-05-20 at 08:00 PM.

Cloak proc doesnt improve with upgrades, only stats do. Based on stat budget alone I prioritized MH wep>trinkets>pants>chest>head>cloak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    For someone who did not finish progression yet and is not by any means close to BiS, is it better to upgrade the HWF pieces first or H non-WF more valuable itens like Weapons?
    Valuable items MH wep and trinkets, esp AoC. As far as I know OH isn't high in priority for upgrades, but I may be wrong.

The WoW website is now showing the 4/4 upgrades, shadowcraft is seeing the 4/2 and reforging correctly. It's not allowing you to upgrade to the 4/4 currently though.

The legendary cloak is way overbudget statwise even if you ignore the proc. Adding 2 upgrades to it gives you 315 secondary stats and 150 agi. As a point of comparison going for 2x to 4x on a tier chest grants 261 secondary stats and 196 agi.

Cloak is a similar size upgrade to big tier pieces.
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fierydemise View Post
    Adding 2 upgrades to it gives you 315 secondary stats and 150 agi. As a point of comparison going for 2x to 4x on a tier chest grants 261 secondary stats and 196 agi.
    It should, but I'm not quite getting this value breakdown in game (having not upgraded yet). I'm showing only +114 (38/38/38) secondaries for the first upgrade on the cloak, which has me baffled. I'll be upgrading it today regardless, since it's ahead of, say, shoulders, but on the in-game screen it's weighing in under even tier head/chest pieces.

I'll see if the actual upgrades are off somehow once I have more VP.

Edit: finished item is only 210 secondaries ahead on the cloak.
    Last edited by Kael; 2014-05-20 at 08:40 PM.

4x upgrades are now live on ShadowCraft, if you don't see the option clear saved data then they'll show up.
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

It doesn't look like the Garrosh Heirlooms were updated in Shadowcraft yet. AMR might be the better route until Shadowcraft is completely updated for 5.4.8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Updated notes on generalities:

MH and Trinkets are both definitely first on your list.
    OH weapon value may vary based on spec/WF status, but should be close to chest/legs/head upgrade values- you should check.
    Cloak upgrades appear to be underitemized, making it "not higher" than other major upgrades (looking at 2.5k DPS for near-BiS compared to 3.2k for head/chest/legs).

the easy & generic guide to upgrades:

1: weapons (mh > oh, trinkets may be more valuable than oh, depending on spec, the weapon, and the trinkets).
    2: trinkets
    3: rest of gear, go by stamina. Upgrade items with more stamina first, regardless of slot. If anyone wants a more detailed explanation why, PM me and I can give you a longer-winded version.

Kael: Since ShC has been updated, can you please lock?
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2014-05-20 at 09:25 PM.