Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I love the theory that energy doesn't just dissapear. We were energy before we were born, and we will continue to be once we die.
    To me this is what I think kind of like a reincarnation, the theory is somewhat true. After we die we should turn back in to dirt/maggot food recycling us and making us life somehow in another form. Spiritually it is bs, but physically ti is right.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im immortal
    Actually a legitimate possibility according to quantum mechanics and Schrödinger's cat paradox.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Actually a legitimate possibility according [...] Schrödinger's cat paradox.
    Schrödinger’s Cat was a paradox used to illustrate how some people were misinterpreting quantum theory. It is a reduction ad absurdum to demonstrate that simple misinterpretations of quantum theory can lead to absurd results which do not match the real world. And today many people thinks this is how the world works.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im immortal
    HERE WE ARE ! BORN TO BE KINGS ! WE'RE THE PRINCES OF THE UNIVEEEERSE !

sorry I had to it.

That's why life is precious, every baby born won the 1/10,000,000 lottery. You were just born and already have come past insurmountable odds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    I am alive now, so therefore it was meant to be, call it fate, luck, miracle or whatever I am alive today.
    Or, you could call it what it is: coincidence, chaos, a random occurrence not predetermined in any way or form.

Where would I be otherwise?
    You wouldn't be otherwise. You either are, or you are not.

I am here right now; So therefore I HAD to be born, because I exist here today.
    You had to have been born because you are here right now. However, you didn't have to be born; nothing predetermined that. Nothing ordained that. It just happened.

I mean, before you were born, you don't remember anything, but is that to say you weren't alive already in some other form in the past?
    You don't remember anything from your first moments, days, weeks, months, or even years of your life either. Not remembering something has nothing to do with the fact that you didn't exist before. But yeah, you weren't alive in some other form in the past.

All of the atoms in your body were previously a part of something else; they could've been a part of other living things. However, none of the atoms in their own is considered you, nor is the sum of them either. A simple mass of atoms doesn't a person make.

Was I REALLY that lucky guy, who swam the fastest time through the ovary and crossed the checkered flag (egg) in first place?
    You weren't that sperm which reached the egg first, any more than you were the egg inside your mother. Those are cells. They carry no soul, no personality. They're simple Lego blocks of life. A sperm cell did reach an egg, and eventually you were the result.

I think its too good to be true really, and I think that we all come back in some intelligent form at some point.
    Well, hence religion.

But yeah, whenever I think about this...I always just think "I am alive now, so that is just how it is" Lets say my parents decided not to have children, I would be nothing, simply nothing.
    Don't think of it as "I would be nothing", because that implies you would be to begin with. Think of it as "I wouldn't be." Period.

but I AM alive I AM here and I AM typing this, so it HAS to be repeated. I would simply have come into existence at some other time, with some other "parents".
    Well, here's where you go off the rails. Again with the predetermination. There's no such thing. If certain things hadn't happened, you wouldn't exist. Those things did happen, and you do exist. That's all it is.

Deleted
    but I AM alive I AM here and I AM typing this, so it HAS to be repeated.
    I really don't see why if something happened it has to be repeated. Yes you pretty much got lucky, you don't have to find some special reason for it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I mean that's where I get confused and I can't really "say" what I want to say properly, I just find it amazing that given the simple fact I/we are here today, means we simply HAD to be here, its easy to say "well if you weren't born you would be nothing" which IS true, but we WERE born and its that which makes me wonder about how easily we could simply be "born" again.

You could compare life to the universe, in the sense that we *think* this is the ONLY universe, but we cannot prove that beyond any shadow of a doubt, some people think there are multiple universes and why not? Were we so lucky to have be born at this exact moment in history, on this planet, in this galaxy, in this universe? It raises the question, and it probably cannot and will never be answered, but to think about it is amazing in itself. (Sure, we are a "Goldilocks planet" but there are many many many more out there also).

Basically I think that given the universe is so HUUUUGE in size, and the possibility that this may not be the "only" one, that there are people alive at every second in time, as in, there is a planet where plankton is just starting to form, there is a planet where dinosuars are ruling the world, and another where they have just been wiped out. There is a "michael jackson" blowing everyone away, there is a planet where the Mongols are storming over china, there is a planet where someone has just discovered what gravity is and unfortunately, there is a planet where someone is trying to eradicate a certain race/gender simply because they don't fit into their vision (Another Hitler, if you will).

If its happened here, I don't see how it could NOT have happened elsewhere, the same process occurs on every other planet out there and eventually, well who knows....we probably just destroy ourselfs.

Again, I cannot stress how utterly stupid all this sounds, but I really don't see how it could not be possible really.
    Last edited by Hypasonic; 2014-05-21 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Your personality is the product of a unique way of organizing electrical conduits in an organ named Brain due to something called Random Number Generator. If you are gone, you're gone, never again will other electrical conduits form the same links as to create another you.

All that you are is because of RNG. Your life means nothing, your purpose is none other than what you make it. Your continued existence happens because eons ago a phenomenon called Life, aided by RNG, caused a microscopic unicelular organism to divide and create another, and over the eons the process became increasingly complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you die you go back to the place where you weren't born and everything continues to carry on like normal just like before you were born <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I love the theory that energy doesn't just dissapear. We were energy before we were born, and we will continue to be once we die.
    That's not how it works.

The "energy" of your ego is electric and chemical impulses in your brain. Once you die this is converted to potential energy which is used in decomposition via various processes. Your energy doesn't dissipate into the ether.

OT: Logical holes galore there buddy.

You wouldn't exist somewhere else, your conciousness is not a thing which inhabits a body but the manifestation of your experiences. If you hadn't been born you'd never have existed in any capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I mean that's where I get confused and I can't really "say" what I want to say properly, I just find it amazing that given the simple fact I/we are here today, means we simply HAD to be here, its easy to say "well if you weren't born you would be nothing" which IS true, but we WERE born and its that which makes me wonder about how easily we could simply be "born" again.

You could compare life to the universe, in the sense that we *think* this is the ONLY universe, but we cannot prove that beyond any shadow of a doubt, some people think there are multiple universes and why not? Were we so lucky to have be born at this exact moment in history, on this planet, in this galaxy, in this universe? It raises the question, and it probably cannot and will never be answered, but to think about it is amazing in itself. (Sure, we are a "Goldilocks planet" but there are many many many more out there also).

Basically I think that given the universe is so HUUUUGE in size, and the possibility that this may not be the "only" one, that there are people alive at every second in time, as in, there is a planet where plankton is just starting to form, there is a planet where dinosuars are ruling the world, and another where they have just been wiped out. There is a "michael jackson" blowing everyone away, there is a planet where the Mongols are storming over china, there is a planet where someone has just discovered what gravity is and unfortunately, there is a planet where someone is trying to eradicate a certain race/gender simply because they don't fit into their vision (Another Hitler, if you will).

If its happened here, I don't see how it could NOT have happened elsewhere, the same process occurs on every other planet out there and eventually, well who knows....we probably just destroy ourselfs.

Again, I cannot stress how utterly stupid all this sounds, but I really don't see how it could not be possible really.
    There is no purpose to it, it's a random procession of events that we impose structures on. We can't be born again, you're a singular instance tied to a physical existence.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the Impossible Man.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    We didn't have to be anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where would I be otherwise? I am here right now; So therefore I HAD to be born, because I exist here today.
    I think, there for I am... Not, I think there for I am a constant... The idea that we were meant to be here is rooted in human narcissism...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    I really don't see why if something happened it has to be repeated. Yes you pretty much got lucky, you don't have to find some special reason for it.
    It's the assumption of a constant self.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    To be, or not to be: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause: there's the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life;
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
    The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
    The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office and the spurns
    That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
    When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
    But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?
    Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
    And thus the native hue of resolution
    Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    And enterprises of great pith and moment
    With this regard their currents turn awry,
    And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
    The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
    Be all my sins remember'd.

Short version: I Think, Therefore I Am
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    I am alive now, so therefore it was meant to be, call it fate, luck, miracle or whatever I am alive today. If my parents did not have sex, I would not be here, but I am here...... Where would I be otherwise? I am here right now; So therefore I HAD to be born, because I exist here today.

I mean, before you were born, you don't remember anything, but is that to say you weren't alive already in some other form in the past?

Was I REALLY that lucky guy, who swam the fastest time through the ovary and crossed the checkered flag (egg) in first place? I mean, I have no obvious disabilities or diseases, so I must have been, but given the sheer amount of sperm did I literally win the life lottery? I think its too good to be true really, and I think that we all come back in some intelligent form at some point.

But yeah, whenever I think about this...I always just think "I am alive now, so that is just how it is" Lets say my parents decided not to have children, I would be nothing, simply nothing. I would never be "born" I would not be alive, I would not be able to type this right now, but I AM alive I AM here and I AM typing this, so it HAS to be repeated. I would simply have come into existence at some other time, with some other "parents".

I kinda get confused about what I'm trying to portray here, it certainly does sound bonkers but I hope you understand where I am coming from. (Was watching a Vsauce video and I thought about this :P )

Another person that doesn't understand what probabilities, or to sound less "mathy" random events are. While the chance that YOU, the exact you which is the conjonction of one particular spermatozoid and one ovule (+ other random mutations, which we discovered can be transmited) would be born is indeed extremely low. Even more so if you look at the long chain of humans, animals before that, and bacterias before that. However, the chance that SOMEONE would be here, wondering this very question, is VERY high. Look at it that way : if you toss a coin 20 times, the chance of having 20 times tail is very low (1 out of 2^20). Howerver the chance of having THHTTTHTHTTHTHHTTTHT is EXACTLY the same. Your mistake is believing that 20 tails is a special occurence, when it's not. And that YOU are a special occurence when you're not. If ANY of the bazillions spermatozoids your father sent into your mother, or flushed down the toilets had won the "race" (and it doesn't mean you are the fastest sperm. only that you were probably not malformed and were among the first ejected and were lucky) there would be another person wondering the exact same thing, and thinking he is special.

It's the same story when you look at the big picture, life in the universe. Actually it is very likely that we aren't alone in the universe, as we have no way of knowing otherwise, but let's agree that the chance of having life on earth was very very low. The thing is, that the chain of extremely unlikely occurences that allowed life to develop on earth is probably not the only one that would have given this result (or a similar one) sure, THHTTTHTHTTHTHHTTTHT gave life to humans, but HTHTTTHTHHHHTHHTTTHH might have given birth to a different species of sentients. Hell, mars had water and an athmosphere not so long ago, maybe even life. If the chances were really that low what are the chances of two such planets next to each other (actually this argument is flawed, but it's just so that you put things into perspective).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    To be, or not to be: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause: there's the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life;
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
    The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
    The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office and the spurns
    That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
    When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
    But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?
    Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
    And thus the native hue of resolution
    Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    And enterprises of great pith and moment
    With this regard their currents turn awry,
    And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
    The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
    Be all my sins remember'd.

Short version: I Think, Therefore I Am
    No. It doesn't question the idea of being, but what that being is.

That soliloquy references the struggle of living in such a cruel world with so little promise of peace to come. It describes the torturous nature of indecision and the weakness of will of Hamlet.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if there is only one consciousness, but it's reincarnated as a new person in a different place and time, so we're all just one person existing at different times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    What if there is only one consciousness, but it's reincarnated as a new person in a different place and time, so we're all just one person existing at different times.
    This is extremely hard to discuss, since it enters religious grounds.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Ill stay pessimistic with the option to be pleasantly surprised when i die.