Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Im not sure what to think of Gaddafi, but most of what I read from western media reeks of propoganda. Nice joke anyway made me chuckle m8.
    Most of these dictators, in spite of their bad things, have a decent handle on how to run their country and hold it together(they probably would not be dictators, otherwise). Before Saddam was attacking Iran and whatnot he actually did a lot of great things(even got awarded for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Most of these dictators, in spite of their bad things, have a decent handle on how to run their country and hold it together(they probably would not be dictators, otherwise). Before Saddam was attacking Iran and whatnot he actually did a lot of great things(even got awarded for it).
    Gaddaffi was a bad ruler. Gaddafi was a ruler of a muslim country but Gaddafi supported the Serbs against the Muslims in Bosnia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemana View Post
    And don't forget for thoses who missed it that Blackwater is now deployed in ... Ukraine to fight against the evil russian terrorists! Hurray for proxy fighters !

Honestly all these wars are such a farce ...
    you do realize that blackwater is a group of mercenaries and fight for the guy that pays them right?
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    The UK and France dragged the US into libya to save the US dollar from a gold standard?

You forgot to explain how blackwater and the CIA staged the the protest/rebellion and how it was really all being done at the behest of the Zionist.
    While I don't endorse any of the above conspiracy theories, there are some interesting bits of recent, (and very recent) history relating to Libya. (This gets a bit long, but I don't want to just post theories, so I'm including a lot of quotes from relevant news sources.)
    (The French megabank Société Générale also lost around a billion dollars worth of Libyan investment in the same time period.)

By mid February of 2011, the Libyan Civil War (or Revolution) was in full swing, although organizing efforts had begun on via Twitter as early as Feb 4, according to Al Jazeera.

Exactly one month later,
    "The rebel group known as the Transitional National Council released a statement last week announcing that they have designated the Central Bank of Benghazi as a monetary authority competent in monetary policies in Libya, and that they have appointed a governor to the Central Bank of Libya, with a temporary headquarters in Benghazi, according to Bloomberg."
    Then, not much happens for a while (barring a degree of chaos in Libya itself). In 2013, And, early this year, Goldman Sachs sued for $1 billion by Libya wealth fund.
    "Global investment bank Goldman Sachs stands accused of deliberately exploiting the sovereign wealth fund of Libya in order to make "substantial" profits of $350 million, according to a legal filing with London's high court seen by CNBC."
    And then, of course, there's the very recent non-financial news:

May 14, 2014:US Marines deploy to Italy due to Libya threat
    "The US military has moved a team of marines from Spain to southern Italy as a precautionary step in case the US embassy in Libya comes under threat, officials said Wednesday.

The contingent of nearly 200 marines is part of a newly-created "crisis response" force set up in the wake of a deadly attack on a US diplomatic outpost in the Libyan city of Benghazi in 2012."
    May 19, 2014: Gunfire erupts outside Libyan parliament,
    "Clashes have erupted outside the Libyan parliament in the capital, Tripoli, in an attack being claimed by forces loyal to a retired army general accused of launching a coup attempt."
    Correlation is, of course, not causation. But the details are certainly interesting. I wonder how the next Libyan government will address past losses from their sovereign wealth fund?
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    While I don't endorse any of the above conspiracy theories, there are some interesting bits of recent, (and very recent) history relating to Libya. (This gets a bit long, but I don't want to just post theories, so I'm including a lot of quotes from relevant news sources.)
    (The French megabank Société Générale also lost around a billion dollars worth of Libyan investment in the same time period.)

By mid February of 2011, the Libyan Civil War (or Revolution) was in full swing, although organizing efforts had begun on via Twitter as early as Feb 4, according to Al Jazeera.
    [URL="http://www.cnbc.com/id/42308613"]
    Exactly one month later,

Then, not much happens for a while (barring a degree of chaos in Libya itself). In 2013,

And, early this year, Goldman Sachs sued for $1 billion by Libya wealth fund.
    Sounds like goldman shifted derivative losses to gadaffi's account because they thought they could get away with it (and probably will).

"US intelligence correctly asses threat and takes precautions".

Deleted
    Also does anyone know the whereabout of the 140 000 tons of gold libya possessed?

What imminent? It has been pretty much civil war ever since deposing of Gaddafi between the warlords of different factions, situation anyone with an inkling of understanding foresaw happening.

Living standards for pretty much everyone have collapsed and the fairly generous benefits that average citizen did enjoy under Gaddafi has been stripped away. Enjoy your west-imposed freedumb.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Good, let them have their own little wars, less we gotta clean up later
    You do realize that civil conflicts often act to foment political radicalization, as we've in Syria with Al-Qaeda' rapid expansion throughout the war torn country, right? This means that we have more to clean up, because there's a rapid increase in violent ideologues willing to commit themselves to the lesser jihad. Furthermore, terrorism aside, Libya is also the home to a major oil market, which Europe depends on. This fact formed the impetus for France's charge to establish a no-fly zone over the country in 2011. So there's an economic element at play here, too.

Oh, not to mention the secondary effects this will have. The last civil war resulted in Libya becoming a transnational hub for arms trafficking. Many weapons that were used in Mali prior to the French intervention and militants in the Sinai peninsula today, came from Libyan arms depots left unguarded in the immediate post-civil war political vacuum that enveloped the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    "US intelligence correctly asses threat and takes precautions".
    Oh my lord, pigs must be flying now.
    "The aggressor is always peace-loving; he would prefer to take over our country unopposed." - Carl von Clausewitz

We can all live a little luxuriously in the anonymity of the internet, and I choose to take advantage of this fact by putting out my .02