Thread: Airflow problem

10+ Year Old Account

Airflow problem

My PC has 3 fans, one of which is a CPU water cooler fan, and I personally don't like my temps. I believe it should be a little lower.

Specs:
    Z87 Asus Motherboard
    i5 4670 CPU
    H-55 water cooler silent edition
    AMD Radeon HD 7800 GPU
    2x 120mm fans(cheap fans, around $10 each) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835228010

My temps aren't really "extreme", but they sit around 50-60c(40-45c idle) for my CPU and 72-78 for my GPU(~48 idle) while playing graphics demanding games(Warframe for one). Considering when I only had 2 fans before, and the temps were the same; I believe it should be a little bit lower.

I have the CPU water cooler as in intake in the back running around 1200-1250 RPM, and the other 2 on the side of the case. Top one is an intake with around 1300-1400 RPM, and the bottom out is an exhaust at around 1000-1100 RPM. I have them hooked directly into the mobo and not the molex connectors. When I go into the control panel through the mobo I have them running stock speeds, but when I put it on turbo it doesn't really increase the speeds.

One problem with my fan location on my case; I have to keep them in these locations. I can't connect to the top of my case on the inside since my cd drive blocks one side and the water cooler fan blocks the other side(120mm fans anyways). Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Forgot my GPU fan speeds; they run around 2800-3100 under a full load.
    Last edited by Haizer; 2014-05-21 at 07:33 AM.

Deleted
    40-45C at idle is normal, not sure about the gpu but doesnt seem high. 50-60 during gaming its still low. i bet you haven't overclocked it.
    As for air flow you missed the most important part. What case you have

10+ Year Old Account
    NZXT Gamma Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Steel Chassis

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140521082206:s

Deleted
    Although by the temps you provided you dont seem to have any problems, the ideal setup for best airflow would be to have the frond and side fans as intakes and back+top as exhausts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Although by the temps you provided you dont seem to have any problems, the ideal setup for best airflow would be to have the frond and side fans as intakes and back+top as exhausts.
    Any way I could mount the exhaust on the outside of the case on the top? I literally can't put it on the inside unless I get a smaller fan for the exhaust. Unless the molex connectors will increase the RPM. I know the temps aren't exactly a problem, but it should be lower with 1 more fan even if only a tiny bit.

Deleted
    If you're attempting to push outside air into the case from top and exhausting it from bottom, that's the opposite of natural flow of air, as in warm air rises and cold air sinks.

Your current setup is preventing the hot air from getting out, (quiet) computer fans really aren't strong enough to cancel out and reverse natural air flow.

E: Also, if your GPU is back-exhausting model, it'll warm the air you intake for the water cooling.
    Last edited by mmoc58ad131b44; 2014-05-21 at 09:21 AM.

Deleted
    Unless your case fans are 4pin (PWM) you cant control their speed thus having them connected to mobo offers no benefit.

Deleted
    Unless your case fans are 4pin (PWM) you cant control their speed thus having them connected to mobo offers no benefit.
    Most motherboards can control 3pin fans by adjusting voltage output.

Deleted
    Yeah but doesnt feel they do much and usually they end up making the fans noisy will less power.

10+ Year Old Account
    My fans are 4 pins, and I might just turn around and use the CPU fan as an exhaust. Btw I wanted an exhaust at the top, it's just I'll probably have to buy another, smaller fan to get it in. Speaking of which, how is 3 intakes(2 on the side, 1 in the back) and 1 exhaust?

Edit: also my mobo just gives me the "Silent > Default > Turbo" settings for my fans.

Deleted
    Positive pressure is good but 3 to 1 fans prob wont be good. 3in, 2 out seems better. Also you want your back one to take the hot air out not in.

Deleted
    Yeah but doesnt feel they do much and usually they end up making the fans noisy will less power.
    They're just two different techniques to reach same goal. Generally: less voltage = lower RPM = lower airflow = lower noise. Depends on fan design how well it reacts. PWM fans can be controlled more precisely, which usually isn't necessary for case fans. Depends on motherboard how precise settings it has.
    Last edited by mmoc58ad131b44; 2014-05-21 at 10:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info. I'll use it when I mess with the fans.

"Z87 Asus Motherboard"

Which board? Ive a Hero board. The AI Suite Software in fact does allow you to control the fan speeds. You may need to update to the latest version. Heres the link to the Hero version *although I'm sure they are all the same* .. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...O_VER10056.zip
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Your ratio of fans should be as close to Positive as possible Intake > Exhaust. Most cases have 1-2 fan slots in the front of the case to provide air to the CPU/HDD/SSDs as well as one fan on most Aftermarket CPU Coolers. Most cases should have placements for one Exhaust on the Back and 1-2 on the top. You just need to figure out what works best with your system as well as your motherboard.

I have an MSI Board and have 7 fans connected to my motherboard, 4 fans on two Y connectors.The sets are 2 exhaust on the top and 2 being the intake from the front. Each set of these fans spin at the same speed providing they are doing the same job.

NA - Dominiko#1777(BN) Dominiko#5315 (D)