Voters
347. This poll is closed
  • Yes

294 84.73%
  • No

53 15.27%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    My opinion is that donations to the church are not taxed (Since it is already taxed money that is being given). BUT, If that church has clergy that get paid by the church, then the money he receives should be taxed. Simple as that.
    This is exactly how it already works.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at some of these churches I just can't help but to be amazed. Sure, there's a lot of small, humble churches (I live in the bible belt) but the really huge ones that are over the top? Really better than some government buildings and even bigger than some theaters and really set up like a theater.

It's all anecdotal, but I've been to church one or twice. I imagine most of the people have at one point noticing the pastor wearing a really nice suit and rolling out in a nice ass car and I'm willing to wager he's in a better spot than a lot of the people in the church. It's really a huge gambit especially when they hit the T.V. set because all they do is push forward DvDs, t-shirts, trips to the holy land and all things jesus.

It's a bubble that will burst soon enough, atheism is really gaining traction and I already see it to some of the formerly really big churches. Had one of the preacher made an off-hand comment about how the young people are losing their way and being taken down the path of satan. Really, that translate to "We're having a hard time getting as much money as we used to" and most of the people in the church I used to go to is a bunch of old people.

It's really interesting to see how they adapt and mold to just find ways to trap in young people. Christian rock/rap? Please, a little while ago that was the devil's work

Not entirely about taxing religious institutions and while I may easily be proven wrong, it'll be really nice to do so for at first but it's a tax that'll slowly lose traction as less and less people go to church and chip in for the lord and if they got taxed, I imagine a lot more would close down in due time -- a wet dream for a lot of people, I know.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-05-21 at 10:05 PM.

When the leaders and fellow leper messiahs are in mansions and flying around in private jets? Yes. I honestly don't get why they haven't been. I guess the need the money for the designer suits they use to spread the message, apparently it's more effective that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They would first have to stop doing that for it to make any difference.
    The churches themselves don't donate to candidates, the congregation does. Two different things dude and not just in terms of definitions.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    Man this thread is full of derp.

What in the hell are you supposed to tax them on?
    They are paying to be told they are forgiven, based on being told how bad they supposed to feel for not being perfect.

Example: You call a psychic for help with your future/love life/who fucking knows why. You pay 4.99 + TAX, per minute.

You go to church to be told you're imperfect, going to Hell, and all sorts of evil things unless you do what the man in a ugly dress at the front tells you to do, at a cost of 10% of your earnings. And they get that 10% (or whatever is given) Tax Free.

A Dominatrix I know wishes she had it that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Deleted
    Yes, of course religious institutions should be taxed. I believe in God and I have gone to the church in the past, but still believe they should be taxed.

The only extempt should be charity done by the church.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    They are paying to be told they are forgiven, based on being told how bad they supposed to feel for not being perfect.

Example: You call a psychic for help with your future/love life/who fucking knows why. You pay 4.99 + TAX, per minute.

You go to church to be told you're imperfect, going to Hell, and all sorts of evil things unless you do what the man in a ugly dress at the front tells you to do, at a cost of 10% of your earnings. And they get that 10% (or whatever is given) Tax Free.

A Dominatrix I know wishes she had it that good.
    You have no idea what you're talking about.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

Churches are little more than businesses. The catholic church is one of the worlds biggest corporations, christiannity is such a hodgepodge of random sects that anyone can make a christian church to dodge taxes and live off peoples donations.

Tax the fuck out of them and let it weed out the freeloaders. If religion is that important to people then they can handle paying taxes. If your religion is going to be the basis of your politics than your taxes can also help pay for those politics.

They should be assessed as any other non-religious institution would be. A religious belief should not be esteemed above any other personal belief.

But I believe that in fact they are.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Quick question? How do religious institutions make money? I can hardly believe they survive on donations alone, given the fact that over here its mostly old people going to church.
    Established religions generally have large property and business portfolios. The Catholic Church remains one of the richest organisations in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    Man this thread is full of derp.

What in the hell are you supposed to tax them on? I mean we have a bunch of people here yelling that churches should be taxed, and I would agree with that if they had anything to tax...but they don't. They are non-profits by nature. Without profit, what are you supposed to tax? What are you people wanting them to tax?
    The Catholic Church funds $170 billion every year in the US alone. That's just what figures are publicly available. And does not give you an idea of their actual income, which must necessarily be more than that considering it hasn't gone bankrupt. Apple and General Motors have a revenue of about $150 billion WORLDWIDE, by comparison.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/newsbook/2012/08/catholic-church-america

And let's not even go into evangelicals and Scientologists and the like, who make unseemly amounts of money through their proselytising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Any money that they actually do use for charitable activities should be tax exempt. (political lobbyism shouldn't count though).

However from that point on they should be treated like any other business.

No fucking doubt they should be. They should also have to pay sales tax as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    It's all anecdotal, but I've been to church one or twice. I imagine most of the people have at one point noticing the pastor wearing a really nice suit and rolling out in a nice ass car and I'm willing to wager he's in a better spot than a lot of the people in the church. It's really a huge gambit especially when they hit the T.V. set because all they do is push forward DvDs, t-shirts, trips to the holy land and all things jesus.
    I guess that's an American thing, the rich slick preacher is fucking bizarre to the rest of the world. Where Christianity is left wing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    The only religion that actually charges you for their regular services is Scientology.

10+ Year Old Account
    12 pages of religion bashing and this is still open? stay classy mods.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    "Churches don't ever use their proceeds for charity work and many priests roll in fat cash."

"Stop bashing my religion!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    The only religion that actually charges you for their regular services is Scientology.
    I believe the Mormons require payment also to remain "In Good Standing"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess that's an American thing, the rich slick preacher is fucking bizarre to the rest of the world. Where Christianity is left wing...
    It might be more of a southern thing, really. We have seven channels dedicated to preaching Christianity 24/7.

Like, Texas isn't bad and all, but it's still pretty thick with the religion thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    You're being awfully passive aggressive.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    No special treatment, everyone should be taxed regardless of what services you provide.

15+ Year Old Account
    Closing this as the thread topic is against the forum rules.