7+ Year Old Account

Question Question regarding comps

After reading these forums for quite a while now and not being able to find an answer to my question (at least not one which was convincing), I decided it's time to finally create an account and ask my question here, in hope of someone here being able to answer it.

Up until 5.4 I've merely been playing PvP for the fun of it on some of my characters (Fury/Arms Warrior, Frost/Unholy Death Knights, Discipline Priest and Restoration/elemental Shaman) and a bit more serious on my Mistweaver Monk. With the first four classes I've never gone higher than a rating of about 1400 (give or take 30). On my Monk I've reached 1750 rating once, because a guildmate insisted on pushing for that number. (This was all in the 2 vs 2 bracket and I know 1750 is nothing to brag about, but it's just meant to illustrate that I know almost nothing about comps and things like that.)

Now two guildmates (a Shadow Priest and a Warlock who's Destruction at the moment, but can spec Affliction if needed) have asked me to join their 3 vs 3 team to try and get a good rating.

Now my question is, which of the classes listed below make for a good addition to a 3 vs 3 team consisting of a Shadow Priest and a Affliction/Destruction Warlock:
    - Arms/Fury Warrior
    - Frost/Unholy Death Knight
    - Discipline Priest
    - Restoration/Elemental Shaman
    (Note: All of those classes are Grievous geared, so none of them has a distinct advantage regarding gear.)
    (I'm also aware that (Arms) Warriors and Discipline Priests are considered OP at the moment. For that single reason I've listed my Priest (but I never really played her and I don't really like her, so I am kinda hoping that the Priest wouldn't be that useful) and I just like the Warrior's playstyle, so please refrain from just hurling things like "FotM reroller" at me without providing any (decent) help.)

All the answers I've found so far were either full of sarcasm or only based on experience, without any arguments why x or y is a good comp. (Things like "Rsham/Spriest/Lock is good from my experience".)

I hope that the wording of my question isn't too vague and that someone can answer it.

Thanks in advance for answering this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Akonji View Post
    (I'm also aware that... Discipline Priests are considered OP at the moment.
    They aren't.

You have 2 dps already, so you'll need a healer. Rshaman is best with casters, so I'd go with that. Also shadow priest and hpriest/disc priest together would be absolute fail.

Having said that, I don't see spriest and warlock working well together this season. This will be a problem for you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for taking the time to answer this question.

Seems that just my guild considers them OP then. If the Shadow Priest was to reroll, which class would best fit a Warlock/Shaman combo?
    And if I were to 2 vs 2 just for the heck of it, would Rsham/Warlock be viable? (There are weeks the Priest won't be able to log, so need to cap Conquest in those weeks in 2 vs 2.)

Thank you for taking the time to answer this question.

Seems that just my guild considers them OP then. If the Shadow Priest was to reroll, which class would best fit a Warlock/Shaman combo?
    And if I were to 2 vs 2 just for the heck of it, would Rsham/Warlock be viable? (There are weeks the Priest won't be able to log, so need to cap Conquest in those weeks in 2 vs 2.)
    Aff lock, ele shaman, resto druid is damn good at the moment. Try and thank me later.

You could run warlock, mage, resto shaman if you wanted to as well.

Rshaman + warlock is "viable" in 2v2 if you want to cap, but it's not the greatest comp IMO. Warlocks are a little weak in 2v2 and warlock + healer is especially boring.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try to persuade the Priest into gearing his Druid then.
    2 Vs 2 isn't balanced anyway, so just for getting the cap when 3 vs 3 ain't doable.

Now I at least know on which character to focus.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    Aff lock, ele shaman, resto druid is damn good at the moment. Try and thank me later.

You could run warlock, mage, resto shaman if you wanted to as well.

Rshaman + warlock is "viable" in 2v2 if you want to cap, but it's not the greatest comp IMO. Warlocks are a little weak in 2v2 and warlock + healer is especially boring.
    Go warlock and boomkin and have fun in your own little sandbox.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I don't think any class would make a Destro Lock/Shadow Priest comp work.

As mentioned above, Affliction Warlock/Elemental Shaman/Resto Druid is one of the strongest comps at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically play any composition consisting of a Warlock and Shaman, they have the best synergy in the game right now, so much that you could have the 3rd class as anything (so long as it doesn't clip DR's) and win.

I personally enjoy LSD (as Elemental) the most and I play LSD2.0 (as Restoration Shaman) if I'm feeling lazy. Lots of viable compositions with those two classes, but in a 2v2 scenario it's a toss up between Affliction/Balance and Affliction/Restoration (Shaman).

7+ Year Old Account
    Anzen, I already figured Destro wouldn't work, but the Warlock has only recently started PvP'ing and hasn't decided his spec yet.
    Just asked it to be sure that Destro is worse than Aff at the moment.

With how some things turned out today, I've at least narrowed it down to either my Shaman or DK (While the Shaman seems better, the DK is still my main).

Apepi, I might just do that. Found a Druid who would be interested in PvP, so can now go either Lock/Ele Shammy/Rdruid or Lock/Rshammy/Boomie.

- - - Updated - - -

Blitheqt, for what do LSD and LSD 2.0 stand:
    LSD = Warlock/Ele Shaman/Resto Druid?
    LSD 2.0 = Warlock/Rshaman/Boomie?

...or DK (While the Shaman seems better, the DK is still my main)
    Take my advice. Imagine me putting my hand on your shoulder. Don't do that to yourself. Don't play DK this season. Things are looking good for WoD, but if anything DK is the most frustrating, or at least one of the most frustrating classes to play at the moment in PvP. I'm not going to say anything about viability or skill; just that it's annoying to play as.

7+ Year Old Account
    Aryah, I've experienced that on my DK. He has just one button too much for me to play comfortably (as Unholy that is).
    And with Frost being as it is, Shaman seems like the obvious choice (+ they're fun to play).

10+ Year Old Account
    Anzen, I already figured Destro wouldn't work, but the Warlock has only recently started PvP'ing and hasn't decided his spec yet.
    Just asked it to be sure that Destro is worse than Aff at the moment.

With how some things turned out today, I've at least narrowed it down to either my Shaman or DK (While the Shaman seems better, the DK is still my main).

Apepi, I might just do that. Found a Druid who would be interested in PvP, so can now go either Lock/Ele Shammy/Rdruid or Lock/Rshammy/Boomie.

- - - Updated - - -

Blitheqt, for what do LSD and LSD 2.0 stand:
    LSD = Warlock/Ele Shaman/Resto Druid?
    LSD 2.0 = Warlock/Rshaman/Boomie?
    That's exactly right. Both are roughly equal but I prefer LSD 1.0, as you tend to survive a little easier.

Destruction isn't that far off from Affliction, it's just Affliction is a lot easier to play than the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Take my advice. Imagine me putting my hand on your shoulder. Don't do that to yourself. Don't play DK this season. Things are looking good for WoD, but if anything DK is the most frustrating, or at least one of the most frustrating classes to play at the moment in PvP. I'm not going to say anything about viability or skill; just that it's annoying to play as.
    What are you talking about? Unholy's doing quite well, it's just a harder spec to play than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    That's exactly right. Both are roughly equal but I prefer LSD 1.0, as you tend to survive a little easier.

Destruction isn't that far off from Affliction, it's just Affliction is a lot easier to play than the latter.

[COLOR="#417394"]What are you talking about? Unholy's doing quite well, it's just a harder spec to play than most.
    The play style is just very frustrating. Waiting for a kill every 3 minutes. Sitting in roots all the time. No real utility. Spamming a stun every 30s. Etc.

If you are starting and have a choice, don't go there.

10+ Year Old Account
    The play style is just very frustrating. Waiting for a kill every 3 minutes. Sitting in roots all the time. No real utility. Spamming a stun every 30s. Etc.

If you are starting and have a choice, don't go there.
    Sounds like another spec I know (Enhancement)... haha. Such a wizard dominated game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    Sounds like another spec I know (Enhancement)... haha. Such a wizard dominated game.
    Yeah, unless you're a warrior though