Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Garrisons: too much effort on buildings?

We have seen shots of the new buildings for garrisons. I personally think they look great. We know doing these buildings is a lot of work, because they are making them look great, because they need a lot of building types, and because they need separate variations for upgrades. They will probably look superb, too, when finished.

But my question is: is it really worth it?

Why did they have to create new buildings? Why couldn't they have reused what buildings already were in the game, maybe doing just a bit of work on the upgrades? Who asked for that much work to be put into this? I'd rather have a raid tier, you know? Or just more gameplay options in garrisons. Or, god forbid, an earlier release date.

Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Considering how the rest of Draenor looks, having the same shitty looking buildings that we already have would be a pretty daft idea. Not to mention the fact the players would QQ about them just reusing assets for it instead of making it look good, with it being a new system/feature.
    So, for you personally, a lot of effort put into buildings instead of, say, an earlier release date, is worth it, right? Or is it that you just don't think saving work there would result in more gameplay somewhere else / less time to release?

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    We have seen shots of the new buildings for garrisons. I personally think they look great. We know doing these buildings is a lot of work, because they are making them look great, because they need a lot of building types, and because they need separate variations for upgrades. They will probably look superb, too, when finished.

But my question is: is it really worth it?

Why did they have to create new buildings? Why couldn't they have reused what buildings already were in the game, maybe doing just a bit of work on the upgrades? Who asked for that much work to be put into this? I'd rather have a raid tier, you know? Or just more gameplay options in garrisons. Or, god forbid, an earlier release date.

Opinions?
    They could have also used that dev time to make garrisons less static and less boring.. Reuse building art assets but allow you to choose where to put them, etc.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    They could have also used that dev time to make garrisons less static and less boring.. Reuse building art assets but allow you to choose where to put them, etc.
    I feel with all this new art work done, we could see them using it in new content or maybe updating old content with these buildings. What I'm getting at is that we could see these art peace's used to make a lot more updated game, while saving time not at this time but a lot later on in the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirthealer View Post
    I feel with all this new art work done, we could see them using it in new content or maybe updating old content with these buildings. What I'm getting at is that we could see these art peace's used to make a lot more updated game, while saving time not at this time but a lot later on in the road.
    Nah, that won't happen. New buildings in garrisons are only for humans and orcs, there's a lot more to update. If they ever decide to update all buildings for all races - at their current dev speed - god save us.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Or even, reuse building assets for every race AND let you choose which zone you wanted. If they had a bit of free time? Polish/enhance the assets they chose for garrisons, not rebuild from scratch.

Nah, that won't happen. New buildings in garrisons are only for humans and orcs, there's a lot more to update. If they ever decide to update all buildings for all races - at their current dev speed - god save us.
    People are asking for more raced based buildings, you never know could happen very slowly.

If you think that the buildings took a lot of effort then you have a very low threshold on what you consider a lot of effort to be.
    Last edited by Marema; 2014-05-26 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    If you think that the buildings took a lot of effort then you have a very low threshold on what a lot of effort means.
    Huh????! They do take quite a lot of effort, it is clear for any dev familiar with 3d modeling, it is clear from their actions (only human / orc), and they said it several times themselves. They are *the* bottleneck with garrisons, not the gameplay inside it, nor anything else.

Huh????! They do take quite a lot of effort, it is clear for any dev familiar with 3d modeling, it is clear from their actions (only human / orc), and they said it several times themselves. They are *the* bottleneck with garrisons, not the gameplay inside it, nor anything else.
    Please provide the man hours needed to make the buildings. I would like to see some numbers pulled from something other then your ass this time please.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here we go again.... This will cost us a raid tier...

Please provide the man hours needed to make the buildings. I would like to see some numbers pulled from something other then your ass this time please.
    Ask Blizzard.

Deleted
    well , since Garrisons is the major feature of WOD is has to be epic! reusing old buildings and adding small changes wouldnt suit the term "epic". people would be very upset / unhappy with the expansion, just for that one little detail :/

I for one, wouldnt mind a quick release by reusing old buildings ... i really dont care

Ask Blizzard.
    I'm asking you. You're the one claiming that it takes too much effort. I would like you to back that claim up with something other then idiotic statements.

I'm asking you. You're the one claiming that it takes too much effort. I would like you to back that claim up with something other then idiotic statements.
    Repeating what I said before. The buildings do take quite a lot of effort, it is clear for any dev familiar with 3d modeling, it is clear from their actions (only human / orc), and they said it several times themselves.

Adding to this: I am a dev familiar with 3d modeling.

Questions?

Repeating what I said before. The buildings do take quite a lot of effort, it is clear for any dev familiar with 3d modeling, it is clear from their actions (only human / orc), and they said it several times themselves.

Adding to this: I am a dev familiar with 3d modeling.

Questions?
    Show me where they have said that the buildings are holding back garrisons.

Deleted
    Goldshire Inn in draenor, no thanks..Visuals would look terrible.

Our Garrison is newly built, we're to assume it's the latest and best architecture our builders have to offer with lessons learned from northrend and pandaria.

While I am sure it is a lot of work, it is extremely likely those assets will be used in other places either in WoD or the future. Also with them trying to make Garrisons the big grind of WoD, if you are going to spend a lot of time looking at it, it probably needs to look good. Frankly though, they need more. Side by side with housing like features in other games, the number of options just doesn't stack up. If they wanted to make it competitive, they would really need to do a lot more. That said, they could probably reuse models and textures and regardless of how bad it looked the fans would still sing their praises so I'm not sure it really matters much at this point.

Show me where they have said that the buildings are holding back garrisons.
    They won't use negative terms like "bottleneck" or "holding back" in public blogs / tweets, but they do say things like the following left and right:

"As Chris mentioned, it's a massive feature with a lot of different moving parts, one of the biggest of which is the visuals—and that’s where our art team comes in."

That's from: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/128...ison-2-11-2014