Page 10 of 196 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I have not, thus far, participated in betas. Nonetheless, as it stands, the patch notes on the Shadow Priest are worrying. While healing has often been subject to criticism, nearly removing this part of the Shadow specialization is like ripping a crack in the backbone. The Shadow Priest is a Priest. Always been, and will always be. The light must stay, and everything else attached to the priestly nature of the specialization. I hope, at least, that no more damage will be done to the healing. The healing from damage does not mean much. We're not Warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    I have not, thus far, participated in betas. Nonetheless, as it stands, the patch notes on the Shadow Priest are worrying. While healing has often been subject to criticism, nearly removing this part of the Shadow specialization is like ripping a crack in the backbone. The Shadow Priest is a Priest. Always been, and will always be. The light must stay, and everything else attached to the priestly nature of the specialization. I hope, at least, that no more damage will be done to the healing. The healing from damage does not mean much. We're not Warlocks.
    What are you all concerned over being removed? If anything we're stronger on beta than live right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post
    What are you all concerned over being removed? If anything we're stronger on beta than live right now.
    Power output is irrelevant to my point. I simply want the utilities to stay. I disagree, for instance, with certain Holy spells not being usable in Shadowform. Takes away what Shadow Priest holds unique to itself.

Deleted
    See most prefer their class to be relevant than unique.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropson View Post
    See most prefer their class to be relevant than unique.
    It wasn't relevant prior to utilities going away?

Mastery, SoD + ToF/SI + CoP

mind spike spam, bind blast + DP on CD, dots on ads in boss fights only to proc SoD

I disagree that certain druid spells can't be used by priest - hear me cry

p.s. DP heal in beta is extremely strong and doesn't cost you an extra pointless utility based hybrid heal i.e. renew/pom

It wasn't relevant prior to utilities going away?
    Barely. I've said many times I'd give all my healing away in exchange for more damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    Barely. I've said many times I'd give all my healing away in exchange for more damage.
    Ah, barely. 10 years being generally stable and useful. Incidentally that counts as "barely." Nonetheless, I presume you are a PvE player, which is fine - except that if you want the huge damage, why don't you roll a Warlock for that? You do understand that the moment you choose the Shadow specialization, you are NOT giving up the Discipline and Holy nature of the class in their entirety?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MDWiemann View Post
    p.s. DP heal in beta is extremely strong and doesn't cost you an extra pointless utility based hybrid heal i.e. renew/pom
    Not pointless. However, it is obvious that you and most people care about the PvE aspect, which barely does anything to affect my point. A class' potential in general is mostly exercised outside PvE. Your talent for using other utilities than your prime ones (like damaging) is not brought into question.

You cant please everyone.
    There are more people who were concerned with shadows damage.

The class has two healing specs and you're upset that shadow lost some of its utility to further flush out its role as a DPS?

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, barely. 10 years being generally stable and useful. Incidentally that counts as "barely." Nonetheless, I presume you are a PvE player, which is fine - except that if you want the huge damage, why don't you roll a Warlock for that? You do understand that the moment you choose the Shadow specialization, you are NOT giving up the Discipline and Holy nature of the class in their entirety?
    They moved away from the Support spec model (spriests, dps shamans, rets) during the WotLK beta, and they denounced the Hybrid Tax model during the Cataclysm beta: at least officially, unofficially it is obviously still in play.

You are meant to pick a class based on whether the identity appeals to you - not FOTM to whatever does the most damage for the given expansion / tier / fight. If people want to be DPS Priests, they should be competitive with Warlocks, who should be competitive with Rogues, and Hunters, and Warriors: that's the current idea / model. Competitive DPS, competitive utility, competitive etc - no class is supposed to have strong strengths or weaknesses anymore.

You can argue that's a dumb model - that greater diversity is more interesting - but the commitment to get to max level and gear to BiS is far, far greater in WoW than it is in other competitive games (whether PvE or PvP). In League of Legends, if my team needs a mage/support, I play Morgana - if we need an assassin I play Evelynn - to switch this I need only push a single button at champion select. With sufficient 'specialization' diversity you can create some flavour of mage-support, or assassin, or etc - that appeals to anyone: but WoW has ~30 specs to LoL's 120+ champions.

WoW would be a very different game if I could just select a BiS Affliction Lock at login one day, and then a BiS Unholy DK the next - we would FOTM reroll by design, and we wouldn't have relationships with our character/identity as a class: that's not the way RPG's work.

I agree that healing is a part of Shadow identity - but it's also highly problematic for both PvE and PvP. When it's very strong, our presence makes encounters designed to be 2-healed hard to predict, since when things get rough suddenly it's more like 2.5-3 healers present. The same is true for 3's - when Shadow's heals are very potent, the enemy team can CC my healer and try to burst my teammate - and I can just stand there and bomb flash heals and shields to keep the rogue alive. That's problematic to balance for more than just the obvious - it reduces the choices of the enemy team regarding who they can kill - they have to kill either me or the healer, while CC'ing the other - and letting the rogue peel: it takes a rogue kill off the table.

We saw this with patch 5.2's Shatreeplay most recently, where Symbiosis not only gives the Druid an ice block+trinket effect depending on what they need at any given moment, it also gives the Mage Healing Touch - which means that in a pinch, potentially anybody or everybody on Shatreeplay is a healer. They try so hard to make sure that double hybrid comps are not viable to avoid this - but then they gave heals to mages this expansion (along with a lot of other nonsense that Shatreeplay leverages) - and we have seen the result: a team that - earlier in the expansion - could only die if they made mistakes.

When Shadow's heals are very weak, we still pay a utility and/or DPS cost for their presence in our toolkit - in MoP - Shadow typically pays the cost of their HPS*2 in DPS for having that HPS - it's not a coincidence that on fights like Juggernaut and Malkorok our DPS sucks, but our HPS rivals the bad healers. In PvP, every few seasons we get our heals demolished (because they ended up too strong for one reason or another) - to the point where they aren't worth casting under any combat circumstance: they become out-of-combat / pillar bandages - where it takes us 15 casts and all our mana to heal up over the course of 20-25 seconds of spamming Fheals. Yet, despite that they occasionally become entirely and completely useless - we still are balanced around having the option to use them.

By reducing our retinue of options, and the size of our kit, we reduce the option-cost that Blizzard charges us for retaining. Overall, I think that the WoD simplification of WoW is the wrong direction to go for the game - but it could be beneficial to balance, at the very least, since it makes the game easier for the Devs to understand.

Not pointless. However, it is obvious that you and most people care about the PvE aspect, which barely does anything to affect my point. A class' potential in general is mostly exercised outside PvE. Your talent for using other utilities than your prime ones (like damaging) is not brought into question.
    Do you even play a Spriest?
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-07-28 at 01:00 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

For one, I both PvE and PvP. Secondly, I do have a Warlock which I raid and PvP on as well, however I find both Destro and Affliction boring.

And I hope you do understand that being a Spriest my only concern is doing what Shadow is supposed to do, which is damage. No one brings Shadow to raids for utility, there's nothing special about Shadow's off healing in raids(except on very rare occasions the raid is stacked+DS) or arenas, and there's nothing wrong with playing a DPS spec and only wanting to concern yourself with damage.

I realize that in Shadow you retain some Disc/Holy spells, but I don't think those things make Shadow "unique" to me and that quite frankly if Shadow DPS is suffering because of those spells, Blizz can take them all IMO--we can be balanced around not having those things.

Deleted
    How's shadow looking now compared to MoP? Maybe switching to shadowpriest in WoD.

Deleted
    For the record, I don't need a pointless explanation for whatever I am perfectly aware of. Stay to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    You are meant to pick a class based on whether the identity appeals to you - not FOTM to whatever does the most damage for the given expansion / tier / fight. If people want to be DPS Priests, they should be competitive with Warlocks, who should be competitive with Rogues, and Hunters, and Warriors: that's the current idea / model. Competitive DPS, competitive utility, competitive etc - no class is supposed to have strong strengths or weaknesses anymore.
    It's correct that the identity of a class is often a priority for people. This aligns well with my earlier statement that it is the uniqueness of a class that matters. For the Shadow Priest, the unique part has much to do with the utilities. They represent the many dimensions of the specialization. With simply having damage, the Shadow Priest is very similar to the Warlock. The lore and spell differences will remain, but the latter will not be very distinguished, unless the specialization got a major overhaul.

I agree that healing is a part of Shadow identity - but it's also highly problematic for both PvE and PvP. When it's very strong, our presence makes encounters designed to be 2-healed hard to predict, since when things get rough suddenly it's more like 2.5-3 healers present. The same is true for 3's - when Shadow's heals are very potent, the enemy team can CC my healer and try to burst my teammate - and I can just stand there and bomb flash heals and shields to keep the rogue alive. That's problematic to balance for more than just the obvious - it reduces the choices of the enemy team regarding who they can kill - they have to kill either me or the healer, while CC'ing the other - and letting the rogue peel: it takes a rogue kill off the table.
    Do you play 3s at high level? There will always be a combination of either damage and CC, healing and CC, etc., that will make certain comps too powerful. In Cataclysm, Rogue and Warlock with a Shaman was one of the best comps, yet the off-healing was nearly non-existent. The off-healing of Shadow Priest was often problematic, but so was the high CC combination of many classes (e.g., Mage and Rogue). This will always happen at some point. Removing utilities to this extent is unnecessary.

By reducing our retinue of options, and the size of our kit, we reduce the option-cost that Blizzard charges us for retaining. Overall, I think that the WoD simplification of WoW is the wrong direction to go for the game - but it could be beneficial to balance, at the very least, since it makes the game easier for the Devs to understand.
    Time will show. Many spells are gone for good, and add new space for future spells.

Do you even play a Spriest?
    Do you have a point, or are you pretending to be cool? I'll go for the latter, as it seems that the lengthy, irrelevant post above seems like a good attempt at being right without being on point. Try again. For the record, yes, Priest is my only class. Do have a nice day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    For one, I both PvE and PvP. Secondly, I do have a Warlock which I raid and PvP on as well, however I find both Destro and Affliction boring.

And I hope you do understand that being a Spriest my only concern is doing what Shadow is supposed to do, which is damage. No one brings Shadow to raids for utility, there's nothing special about Shadow's off healing in raids(except on very rare occasions the raid is stacked+DS) or arenas, and there's nothing wrong with playing a DPS spec and only wanting to concern yourself with damage.

I realize that in Shadow you retain some Disc/Holy spells, but I don't think those things make Shadow "unique" to me and that quite frankly if Shadow DPS is suffering because of those spells, Blizz can take them all IMO--we can be balanced around not having those things.
    Every class can be balanced around damage only. That's not interesting. Some have more CC, others more damage, and some hybrid utilities, like the Shadow spec. Additionally, that a specialization is supposed to do one thing mainly at no point means it cannot do something else to a good extent. Frost Mage is supposed to damage - the CC is some of the best. Rogue is supposed to damage - the CC is some of the best. I doubt you play PvP at high level (in 3s), for if you did, you'd probably understand what sorts of utilities are unique to the many classes, and what DPS on its own means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokeless View Post
    You cant please everyone.
    There are more people who were concerned with shadows damage.

The class has two healing specs and you're upset that shadow lost some of its utility to further flush out its role as a DPS?
    Its role as DPS would be fine with a nerf on the spells, rather than complete removal. I couldn't care less what people want - most people are not very rational anyway.

Deleted
    Shadow is looking very fine, we actually for once are competitive in single target fights. Also we can now choose between two different playstyles while not being basically locked to X talents for the duration of each Tier (T14: Fcdl. T15/T16: Insanity).
    As far as self sustainability is concerned It feels it has been boosted despite us losing renew/pom. We cast DP more often than in MoP and it heals alot without costing us those precious gcds.
    On the other hand some things need changes in order to be useful for shadow: Mindbender/PI/Vent/ and Mind Sear are all pretty undertuned and not worth taking/using atm.
    Last edited by mmoc918bec3ce7; 2014-07-28 at 03:19 PM.

I think rather than offhealing, shadow is going to shift to off shielding in PVP. Glyph of weakened soul + Glyph of PWS for 20% instant heal/80% shield every 8 seconds per person (still a 4 sec cd on PWS). Then there's Glyph of weakened soul + reflective shield, meaning every shield fully burned through is doing about the equivalent of a non CoP mindspike back at the other team, not only defending your team mates, but putting pressure on the enemy healer. Could see that being really effective vs other DoT casters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmorgrim View Post
    Then there's Glyph of weakened soul + reflective shield, meaning every shield fully burned through is doing about the equivalent of a non CoP mindspike back at the other team, not only defending your team mates, but putting pressure on the enemy healer. Could see that being really effective vs other DoT casters.
    of course Glyph of Reflective Shield only works for shields only counts for shields you cast on yourself...

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

15+ Year Old Account
    Stressing our Power Word: Shield is a really good move for Shadow PvP ya - I'd like to see them take that idea even further

Perhaps as some sort of Shield of Blackness, but I'm sure they can come up with a better name! *wink* /casts Inception
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-07-28 at 04:30 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

How are spriest feeling?

Hi guys, i bet many of you have tried Shadowpriest in the alpha and beta. I just got in and tried Shadowpriest. I realy like them, i think they did some cool tweeks and twerks (thats right)

What do you guys feel about shadow priest in the beta?

Bonus Question!

I cant decide on my two next mains for wod. Rogue, priest, dk and warrior. Going for pve. I have mained my hunter in mop, but they destroyed that class in wod. What u guys think? What 2 classes out of them are the best "pve" class in the beta that is likely to stay as they are now into release?

Every class can be balanced around damage only. That's not interesting. Some have more CC, others more damage, and some hybrid utilities, like the Shadow spec. Additionally, that a specialization is supposed to do one thing mainly at no point means it cannot do something else to a good extent. Frost Mage is supposed to damage - the CC is some of the best. Rogue is supposed to damage - the CC is some of the best. I doubt you play PvP at high level (in 3s), for if you did, you'd probably understand what sorts of utilities are unique to the many classes, and what DPS on its own means.
    You're completely missing the point. Off healing isn't "interesting". It's not "fun". There's nothing difficult about it. Period. I'd rather have more CC and strip all my off healing. I agree with everything else you're saying. Also, be smarter when throwing around things like "I doubt you PvP at a high level" because when you're wrong, as you are here, you just sound stupid.