What is my character capable of tanking?

I recently came back and have an urge to tank but am not sure what I can or should be doing with the level of gear my character has. I was a frost dk before I unsubbed a few months back so I doubt my gear is the best but I hope it is an okay start. Can anyone give me some advice at where I can start with the gear my character currently has? The last time I tanked as blood was Heroic DS near the end of Cata so a lot has changed and I am a bit out of my element now.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...steak/advanced

I followed this guide for Gemming, Enchanting, and Reforging as well as other tanking information http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5-4-DK-Tanking
    #GarroshDidNothingWrong #TeamLightboundGarrosh
    #EXMVP

10+ Year Old Account
    You've already done flexible modes, I see.

You can tank flex and at least the first half of normal SoO

535 ilvl like dars said you can probably do first half of normal pretty easily (depending on group), up until malkorak, after that fights tend to be more difficult.
    that also means you can do all of soo on flex, but garrosh might be a bit hard.
    you do have some bad gear that has haste on it though which isn't really all that important for tanking
    Last edited by bals; 2014-05-24 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You've already done flexible modes, I see.

You can tank flex and at least the first half of normal SoO
    Alright, thanks. Thats much more than I was expecting since I am basically re-learning how Blood DK's work and such. I will probably practice a bit in some dungeons and LFR before attempting Flex or Normal but its good to know gear wise what my guy is capable of. Its also good to know that this topic was not against the forum rules. I noticed the topic on "Whats my dps" and how topics like that were not allowed so I feared that asking what my character was capable of might of also been not allowed. Glad to know it was okay to ask this.

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    535 ilvl like dars said you can probably do first half of normal pretty easily (depending on group), up until malkorak, after that fights tend to be more difficult.
    you do have some bad gear that has haste on it though which isn't really all that important for tanking
    Okay, thanks for the info. Like I said, I basically had mostly frost pieces but its good to know what to replace. Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
    #EXMVP

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Eh, Malk isn't so bad. Think the brick wall OP would hit with that gear level would be Thok even if 2 tanking though I suppose he could be the start of phase tank.

I would focus on farming flex for a little while until you replace the low ilvl / bad itemized pieces. Things like the evil eye trinket gotta go, I realize it's probably just the gear you have, but to add a little extra clarification you CAN focus on more tank dps but only AFTER you won't go squish. Get past the point of squish, then work on shuffling around stats to squeeze more dps out at the cost of a little survivability.

Specific things;
    Get rid of evil eye
    Replace pieces with hit to get it below the high 11% you are now, all that extra hit could be more parry/mastery
    Get somewhere between 150-200% mastery (where you feel most comfortable) then go full parry. Stack parry like a parry addicted drug addict.
    Conversion is a no-no, get death pact. (way higher gear/vengance you can death siphon for more damage, but for 9/10 cases just use death pact)
    Runic corruption is fine, don't sweat people saying "Go blood tap or go home."
    4 pc tank is very, very powerful when coupeled with malkoroks cd reduction trinket. More dancing rune weapons that give 2 "Free" death strikes each time.

So, besides conversion, the idea is "Get gear that is better suited to blood rather than frost" which pretty much means farm flex. You could easily do the first half (probably up to thok) on normal too, but clearing flex could fill a lot of those weak gaps that would propel you to normal garrosh quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    I would focus on farming flex for a little while until you replace the low ilvl / bad itemized pieces. Things like the evil eye trinket gotta go, I realize it's probably just the gear you have, but to add a little extra clarification you CAN focus on more tank dps but only AFTER you won't go squish. Get past the point of squish, then work on shuffling around stats to squeeze more dps out at the cost of a little survivability.

Specific things;
    Get rid of evil eye
    Replace pieces with hit to get it below the high 11% you are now, all that extra hit could be more parry/mastery
    Get somewhere between 150-200% mastery (where you feel most comfortable) then go full parry. Stack parry like a parry addicted drug addict.
    Conversion is a no-no, get death pact. (way higher gear/vengance you can death siphon for more damage, but for 9/10 cases just use death pact)
    Runic corruption is fine, don't sweat people saying "Go blood tap or go home."
    4 pc tank is very, very powerful when coupeled with malkoroks cd reduction trinket. More dancing rune weapons that give 2 "Free" death strikes each time.

So, besides conversion, the idea is "Get gear that is better suited to blood rather than frost" which pretty much means farm flex. You could easily do the first half (probably up to thok) on normal too, but clearing flex could fill a lot of those weak gaps that would propel you to normal garrosh quickly.
    Awesome! Thanks for all the advice and help
    #EXMVP