Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Raiding today VS 2 years ago

Hi! Im an ex-hardcore raider of World of Warcraft. I havent played this last expansion, but I started early in beta with WoW and cleared pretty much everything from naxx to Firelands HC etc etc.. So if I were to start again I still have the general knowledge of WoW and raiding, but has the game had some big changes which would take me a while to get custom to? I know that with my past experience within raiding (Been in 6 different top 30 guilds) will still be valuable, excluding this last expansion. But It would be fun to start again in the next expansion if it seems promising.

So, what do you hardcore raiders think? Is it gonna die? Are you still having fun wiping through hours of hours on trash and shit, while crying of joy when the boss is killed? Is this shit still epic!?

It's the same as it's been more or less. Fun until it's clear, then bored for months cause blizzard sucks at releasing shit on time. Fight "epicness" varies by zone, some are good some suck, /shrug. Right now is the worst it's been. Longest delay with nothing new etc. If you are coming back, you are coming back to prep for the xpac and not do current raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently 14/14H. We clear everything in a single night.

That being said, I would say I still do have fun. Even though it is the same thing every week I still enjoy killing bosses. If you have quite a bit of serious raiding in your background you would definitely be able to keep up with the knowledge necessary to succeed. Classes are definitely different but there are many guides out there to quickly learn to play. This is actually my FIRST tier healing, as I've always been DPS since Vanilla and I am succeeding rather well.

I do not think raiding is going to die. I thoroughly enjoyed progressing through Siege of Orgrimmar, probably as much as I enjoyed ICC. Others may disagree but SoO was well-done.

Warlords of Draenor is going to offer Mythic instead of the current "Heroic" and it will be 20-man only... which means raid design may be even better (or has the potential to be) than it is now.

Summary: If you really do have Top 30 experience, jumping into the game will not be hard. Things may look a bit weird stat wise, but overall your experience won't change in terms of skill level other than maybe being rusty. Of course, if you have any further questions- feel free to ask.

Edit: SoO has been out way too long, but to be honest its a good thing as there are A LOT of guilds that still aren't even halfway through it on Heroic despite how long it has existed. It is giving other guilds a chance to progress through Heroic content while those who already have can get sort of a break to enjoy other games being released. I've been quite hardcore for a long time and I'm enjoying the time off to be honest.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2014-05-24 at 04:00 AM.

Deleted
    Dat bragging.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're lying

and fuck knows why over such easy achievements.

You probably mean from WotLK Naxx, and you're probably that guy we carried and laughed at over said voice comm.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-05-24 at 04:08 AM.

Your previous experience doesn't mean much if you haven't seen the current raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Your previous experience doesn't mean much if you haven't seen the current raids.
    Actually, that is wrong.

It doesn't seem like hes looking for a guild... hes just wondering if the game will be difficult for him to learn again and gave his previous experience so we have a base to work with. Experience, whether it is current or previous is ALWAYS relevant. I took a few months off (all of ToT) and came back for SoO when Heroic Progression had already started. I was 517 IL which was ToES BiS... but WELL behind in gear. Due to my previous experiences ​I was able to join a top guild and progress to the level that I am at now.

Dat bragging.
    He clearly isn't bragging as sub 30 isn't pretty much to brag about. Read my above statement.

I've taken many long raiding breaks ever since Uld. I have never had problems jumping back into a good guild after these breaks, they have taken me on my classic and BC experience alone.

More or less the same, aside from the *new* feeling you get from doing everything for the first time. By that I mean first time raiding, first time killing an end boss, first time getting a high ranked kill, first time raiding with a hardcore guild, etc. It's still fun.

The raids are well done. Everyone hates the "lull" period that we're in (10+ months of the same tier), but that's happened for the last two expansions as well. From a pure normal/heroic standpoint, all of MoP's tiers were good to great overall IMO. And we had no tiny raid tiers like we had in Cataclysm.

Obviously one would hope they could do better, since you can always do better and look to improve on what you've done in the past, but if WoD's normal/heroic (heroic/mythic) raiding is as good as MoP's was, I'd be content. Them not having to balance Mythic encounters between 10/25 man should be a decent boost.

- - - Updated - - -

Disagree wholeheartedly. I'd much rather take someone with a lot of previous high end experience and no current experience over someone with mediocre current experience and no past experience.

Except he has about 8-10 weeks of legendary quest farming before any serious guild considers him, that is a fact.

Deleted
    If he is experienced hardcore raider, what's the problem anyway.
    The content is ages old. Nobody cares for the cloak or anything, it's not a race anymore.
    Good guilds have 14/14 heroic on farm since 5 months, and are selling mounts at this point to be honest.

A guild which is 10HC and done hc mode would seriously consider such a player, when they are forced to go 20 man, which means merging with another 10HC or undergoing massive recruitment.

If you killed WOTLK+ bosses you have achievements from them, and the achievemets have dates. It's easy to prove this.

Many players lie about "killing muru prenerf" because it's not documented in achievements pane. I can tell you that i earn seven figures and drive an ferrari or something, you just cannot verify it. But with newer bosses there are achievements and its not a problem to tell whether your statement is true or not.
    Last edited by mmocd8b7f80d95; 2014-05-24 at 11:49 AM.

I'd say hardcore raiding is still very much alive (and still very hardcore with regards to time commitment at the start of expansions/raid releases - hi gear funneling), I know my own guild had a lot of nerdscreams on our first kills but right now we're in that 1 night a week clear thing that a lot of guilds get into in late farm.

Regarding the cloak I'd agree with what Esubane said, I don't think it would be a major factor for any actual hardcore guild but its probably something you should work towards anyway as it is a pretty significant damage boost.

Catching up is a nightmare and raids are longer and more linear. Other than that not much difference
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Deleted
    That is pretty much as wrong as it can get tbh, let me give you a pretty good example about this. I stopped playing when my account got locked years ago, yet I join a hardcore guild as I returned to the game, with a fresh account (Didn't even have a level 85, which was max level)

About hardcore raiding being a thing today?
    No the game is not as big as it was back in wolk, but that doesn't change the fact that top-top guilds are going harder than ever when it comes down to time investment.

Deleted
    "Others may disagree but SoO was well-done"

9 years playing and raiding for me, but actually SoO made me quit it. I have played a tank since my first raids in molten core and I love the game, but I didn't like siege at all, feels like every fight for tanks is just taunt when other has xx stacks. It was boring. Also I don't like the way the game is going tank wise, tanks are becoming more like a dps in the raid. The dps and stuff may get some people more interested in tanking but for an oldschool tank, that's not a way I want to play.

The raiding game hasn't changed much since t12. If you were playing in a hardcore guild back then, you should be able to pick up any class, sit for 2 hours on a dummy, and know the rotation well enough to jump into HC raiding (assuming you have read up about the tacts, and done some research about the small tricks and tips to get 100% out of said class).

Lei Shen 25HC is the only fight since then, that has been harder than Ragnaros 25HC, so the difficulty is pretty much the same (One might argue that Klaxxi, or even Dark Animus are up there aswell, I disagree about that, but that's not the discussion at hand).

9 years playing and raiding for me, but actually SoO made me quit it. I have played a tank since my first raids in molten core and I love the game, but I didn't like siege at all, feels like every fight for tanks is just taunt when other has xx stacks. It was boring. Also I don't like the way the game is going tank wise, tanks are becoming more like a dps in the raid. The dps and stuff may get some people more interested in tanking but for an oldschool tank, that's not a way I want to play.
    That you don't like to the current state of Tanking, has nothing to do with the quality of SoO. SoO is a very well done raid, so was ToT and the majority of t14, certainly better done than anything in WotLK, and most of Cata (as whole raid tiers, yes ICC had LK and Putricide, but the instance as a whole, was still fucking horrible).
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2014-05-24 at 02:23 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nelf View Post
    9 years playing and raiding for me, but actually SoO made me quit it. I have played a tank since my first raids in molten core and I love the game, but I didn't like siege at all, feels like every fight for tanks is just taunt when other has xx stacks. It was boring.
    As opposed to... say... ToT?

Depends on what class/spec you were playing.

I don't think wiping for hours on trash has been a thing since TBC, so that definitely doesn't happen. Raiding is not all that different now to in Cataclysm really, or even since WOTLK. Raiding changed a lot in WOTLK and has just progressed on a fairly horizontal line since (aside from the 4 difficulties, cross server raiding and flexible raid sizes). With that said, I haven't raided in heroic since the first tier of MOP (Mogu'shan Vaults) back when the expansion launched.

I personally thought Mogu Vaults was a better and more interesting raid than any of the Cataclysm ones, playing as an Arms Warrior. Having the Legendary cloak is compulsory now, it's like a licence to raid. Pretty much everyone has one regardless of skill or raiding experience, due to the fact that it's available through LFR (super easy story mode raiding), and it's makes such a massive difference for a single item that not having it is a no go for a raider.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-05-24 at 02:41 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

It's pretty much the same as always.

Quote Originally Posted by nelf View Post

9 years playing and raiding for me, but actually SoO made me quit it. I have played a tank since my first raids in molten core and I love the game, but I didn't like siege at all, feels like every fight for tanks is just taunt when other has xx stacks. It was boring.
    I guess you miss the old days of lock aggro and AFK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.