View Poll Results: Ever pretended to be the opposite sex in WoW?

Voters
207. This poll is closed
  • Yes, and I am a guy

51 24.64%
  • Yes, and I am a girl

20 9.66%
  • No, and I am guy

120 57.97%
  • No, and I am a girl

16 7.73%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by get big or die mirin View Post
    I used to do it occasionally, years back, say, if we were questing and there was a group quest, if the topic got around to what we did or whatever, I'd sometimes say I'm a girl.
    I don't do it at all now - it's kind of depressing how some males act towards the first sign of playing with a female (or what they believe is a female lol)
    It might not always be that bad. Some guildie said that he started getting a lot more heals in battlegrounds after he changed his character into a female night elf.

Guys do tend to treat girls different though. Usually in the more chivalric way - unless they happen to be some sexist red-neck alpha male wannabes ("women belong into the kitchen" and shit), but those are usually too dumb to make it into raiding guilds.

I've also noticed that the raid seems to perform slightly better if there are a few female players in it... maybe guys are ramping up their performance in a subconscious attempt to impress the girls?
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2014-05-24 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah.. I don't mind and somewhat prefer if people use personal pronouns fitting to the character, I just bother or feel any need to "correct" it if it fits the character, even if it doesn't fit me. I don't really see that as pretending to be a guy though. I know guys who don't care if their they get a "she" toward their female character. It's kind of amusing, I don't mind playing along. lol

Really, I tend to want to correct it if it doesn't fit the character... lol I think that largely started after my Belf became my second main and knowing all the stupid comments that get aimed at them... Didn't want to encourage people referring to him as her. What can I say, I was protective...

I never pretend to be a girl, however people mistake me for one because I play a female character. Doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to, but sometimes it happens in a random dungeon. Doesn't really bother me much though since I've never gotten any strange PMs or comments in chat and usually the extent it goes to is someone referring to me as "She".

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    I've never explicitely told anyone I was female in wow unless I applied to a guild that required me to tell them (and they'd be idiots to not guess it from my name), and that has worked out the best. Even on skype I can pass for a young boy (I get that one a lot...). Like you said, it is to not complicate things, however, in guilds, it doesn't matter, as I only play with people who're mature enough not to go full retard as soon as they're in proximity to the opposite sex.

The den of wolves only exist with the lower class of the playerbase, and I prefer not to associate with them unless I do LFR, in which I don't have to say anything to any of them.

My only female character is a panda mage though, for the reason of very strange whisps to my female toons earlier in my WoW career...
    Thank you for your robust response, I really appreciate it! These are my favorite responses, more personable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Like you said, it is to not complicate things, however, in guilds, it doesn't matter, as I only play with people who're mature enough not to go full retard as soon as they're in proximity to the opposite sex.
    Do such creatures exist?, like unicorns or something?

No, but if I'm on a character of the other gender and someone refers to me as such, I don't correct them. I just don't want to get into it.

Deleted
    I've played male and female characters. But boy oh boy, never play a female blood elf... the amount of times i've been asked to have ingame sex with someone whenever I played my belf lock is unreal. Then they backed off when they found out I was a guy, was pretty amusing but i've never claimed to be a woman. I just don't tell people until they ask. Funny how people talk dirty to you for like 5 mins then say "btw are you a chick?" I wish I could see their face once they realise they've been hitting on a gay guy.

In fact I just remembered I was in a 2 year relationship with a male orc, we were both guys but yea just had a laugh but it gave other people the impression I was a woman

Though it is really disturbing to think there are guys out there who... (get off?) with the idea of having pixelated sex with me just because my avatar was... err "hot" I guess...

If I ever come back i'll just play with the beefy gals (pun intended)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not in wow but in another game i did...I didn't intend to really,

I was low level i was just exploring and came across the central area where players hang out, i saw some really high levels and they were talking about random stuff, i was bored so decided to ease drop and join in, they were talking about gfs/ sex etc and i just said i didn't have a bf or some words to that affect.

They must have thought i was female as the next few days they kept helping me/ giving me free items etc. I thought they were just being friendly to a new player :S A few days later one asked if i could send dirty pictures and that's when i realised >.< Anyway they proceeded to corpse camp me at every opportunity to reclaim their items after i told them i was just gay >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Javox View Post
    No, but if I'm on a character of the other gender and someone refers to me as such, I don't correct them. I just don't want to get into it.
    Same for me. Don't really care about it, since it doesn't really matter to me what others think I am.

Deleted
    No, but I usually play female chars. However, years ago, I got hit on on a regular basis, especially during vanilla. Back then, many players new to mmos just didn't expect that female chars where played by guys, too.

Deleted
    Cybering is the main reason I play WoW. I pretend to be girl on all my chars, even the male ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Care to explain why? I mean its ok that they look like an elf, can fly and cast lightning bolts out of their fingers but because the avatar has tits its strange? :P
    I was also going to add that you can be a different race, and I don't find that strange, but, I decided not to, I guess I should have...I always thought that that argument was extremely overused, especially during pandamonium.

I think that in any world, fantasy or reality, one reason that one may choose to be the opposite gender, is because they more than likely identify with that one more than their own. There are a bunch of different reasons people play what they play, and whatever the case...for me, it seems strange. Maybe it's just the psychology talking, but I think that the more you stray from what you are in reality, the more you lose touch with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    No, but I have played a female friends character before. The whispers they would get were quite hilarious.
    Amen bro
    I still preff female charrs what can i say i just like them But the most fud in the game comes from random whispers
    The big problem for me comes in guild forums where mine acc present mine character name

10+ Year Old Account
    I refer to people as the gender of the character they are playing unless I know otherwise. That, or their class. Like, if I saw a Female Belf Hunter, if I was talking about it I would say "That Hunter..." or "She did this...".

Sometimes I assume people are male because I do rarely see any girls who openly say they are female (and fully understand why they wouldn't), but mostly I don't think about it and go the above route.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't, one because I don't have any male characters, and two, I'm rubbish at pretending I'm a guy. ;3

Ooooooooh goly~
    | [ My Twitch ] |

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Sometimes I assume people are male because I do rarely see any girls who openly say they are female (and fully understand why they wouldn't), but mostly I don't think about it and go the above route.
    And a common scenario of people who try to stress that they're female are often causing drama or wants a specific kind of attention. Tried those before, and it drives me up the wall.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I pretended to be a guy for the first couple of years of playing WoW. My first character was a female human, and upon entering Goldshire, people were spamming me with whispers and trades and I just felt really uncomfortable with it... So I deleted that char and made a male night elf, didn't "come out of the closet" until I found a guild that had several other girls in it.

Seems to be fewer creeps who try to dryhump female characters around these days, luckily

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    pretending to be a female is a GREAT way to make gold. and no, i dont mean in some weird cybersex kind of way. all you have to do is talk nice to some night elf hunter that's jumping around (then you know he's a dumb young virgin) tell him you're a girl that doesn't understand the game and you wish you had some gold... instant 100-1000 gold traded to you. i know a guy that makes thousands every single day doing this.

Men are guys and women are girls? Pathetic. How about: yes and I'm a boy?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have, I think, 3 female characters. 1 Pandaren (Was troll before) Mage, 1 Human Warrior and 1 Pandaren Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    Men are guys and women are girls? Pathetic. How about: yes and I'm a boy?
    Because it is a common term for it? What would you rather want?

Male, man, sir, boy, guy, gentleman, lad, mister, XY?

Female, woman, ma'am, girl, lady, lass, miss, gal, XX?

There is nothing pathetic about it, it is a choice of word use. Nothing more. It'll end up with just, 'I'm XX and I act like an XY, but still have my XX time'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..