View Poll Results: Ever pretended to be the opposite sex in WoW?

Voters
207. This poll is closed
  • Yes, and I am a guy

51 24.64%
  • Yes, and I am a girl

20 9.66%
  • No, and I am guy

120 57.97%
  • No, and I am a girl

16 7.73%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ever pretended to be the opposite sex in WoW (as in behind the screen)?

So,

the question is:

Have you ever used the anonymity of WoW to present yourself as the opposite sex?

I can easily see how girls might do this, at least to the point of not openly telling you they are, just to not complicate things.

Essentially though: you are assumed to be a guy unless you express you are not. In this case, it is a strange question for women. Does not being upfront about your gender equate you to pretending to be the opposite sex (as in fitting in with guys, kinda like a hen masquerade as a wolf in a den of wolves)?

I don't know if I'd be so strict as thinking the questions like this, but women, if you think I make a point or think it's utter bullocks it would be interesting either way.

And really, although I said you are assumed to be a guy, this isn't always the case. Some people find it much easier to assume a girl is playing a girl character. I do not pertain to this however, as I know more guys that play girl characters than women.

For these reason, I made the poll a bit more specific so I can try and understand the data!

I guess I will go first:

Of course I have! Everyone experiments! I will admit I wasn't so comfortable with it. Though maybe it was more about the deceiving nature rather than "pretending to be the opposite sex" that made me uncomfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but in the past there were plenty of guys who would always try to give me special treatment.

I actually saw a guy the other day that was trying to flirt with me when I first started playing the game. He did not reply when I inquired about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't pretend to be a guy (I'm a 100% 5'2" female), but I do love playing big burly guys in any adventure game, especially MMOS.

Yay chest hair! :P

I used to do it occasionally, years back, say, if we were questing and there was a group quest, if the topic got around to what we did or whatever, I'd sometimes say I'm a girl.
    I don't do it at all now - it's kind of depressing how some males act towards the first sign of playing with a female (or what they believe is a female lol)
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

Quote Originally Posted by get big or die mirin View Post
    it's kind of depressing how some males act towards the first sign of playing with a female (or what they believe is a female lol)
    This is how I remembered it!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but I have played a female friends character before. The whispers they would get were quite hilarious.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

No. I find it strange when guys play female characters, though, I can understand those who find the model to be better, especially in WoW.

As for pretending to be a girl, I find that even more strange, unless they do it as a joke when some desperate guy(or creep in general) asks if they're a girl or something like that.

So, for comedic purposes, sure, for anything else, no, it's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    As for pretending to be a girl, I find that even more strange, unless they do it as a joke when some desperate guy(or creep in general) asks if they're a girl or something like that.

So, for comedic purposes, sure, for anything else, no, it's weird.
    This is more or less why I entertained the idea. However, it wasn't so entertaining after a while, got uncomfortable, that is for me.

No, that's waaaay too weird for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

All the time. There lost is my gain.

No. I've never pretended to be a girl, nor have I ever felt the need to state that I am a guy (If someone asked I would though.)
    I play both male and female characters. Most my characters are either Night Elf Male or Dwarf Female. Undead Male when playing Horde.

My most played chars this expansion are my Night Elf Male Monk and Dwarf Female Rogue. Main difference I've noticed in how people seem to act towards me when playing these characters is that on the Night Elf Male I've gotten lots of friends requests from people I met in Random BG's, Dungeons etc. People seem to want to make friends with me when playing that char, while on my Dwarf Female people seem to find me more intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    No. I find it strange when guys play female characters,
    Care to explain why? I mean its ok that they look like an elf, can fly and cast lightning bolts out of their fingers but because the avatar has tits its strange? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    i regularly troll my server saying 'new lady on the server looking for startup gold'. I've gotten a few thousand gold doing that. lulz
    Those are some really sad people on your server...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    i regularly troll my server saying 'new lady on the server looking for startup gold'. I've gotten a few thousand gold doing that. lulz
    Most I've gotten is 12k pretending. Although, I've gotten tons of free stuff. My favorite was a TCG pet.

As a homosexual, I personally find female models to be more attractive as a male gamer. I always have for some reason. People sometimes assume i'm a female. If they ask i'll tell them i'm male, but if they don't say anything I let them believe as they wish and leave my responses to their forward advances with vague open-ended gray-ish area remarks.

For some reason if you respond with proper punctuation and grammar they'll assume you're of the female persuasion. Thats usually the response I get when I ask why they think that when I ask why it matters what gender I am.

Funnily enough i've made a lot of friendships through this.

I'm female I play female toons, and I've never pretended to be a guy. I've never really ran into issues with people knowing I'm female, I don't shout it out, it just happened naturally that guildies would find out, whether in convo or over vent. No big deal made. Infact a long time guildie only just found out I was female a few months ago and we have known each other for over 6 years lol.

I've never really had the urge to pretend to be male either.

Deleted
    I have on occasion role played has the opposite gender, but I've never lied about my gender when asked. Very almost lead to an awkward situation :P.

I've never explicitely told anyone I was female in wow unless I applied to a guild that required me to tell them (and they'd be idiots to not guess it from my name), and that has worked out the best. Even on skype I can pass for a young boy (I get that one a lot...). Like you said, it is to not complicate things, however, in guilds, it doesn't matter, as I only play with people who're mature enough not to go full retard as soon as they're in proximity to the opposite sex.

The den of wolves only exist with the lower class of the playerbase, and I prefer not to associate with them unless I do LFR, in which I don't have to say anything to any of them.

My only female character is a panda mage though, for the reason of very strange whisps to my female toons earlier in my WoW career...

I'm a gay guy, so I don't want to get involved in that kind of shenanigans. I'm always a male character and always present myself as male.

Deleted
    I'm actually a hot blonde girl from Slovakia that does modelling on the side. I use
    a tone modifier on my mic so I sound like a Worgen.