Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Garrisons, another great opportunity missed!

Blizzard choose the word garrison well, because lets face it....this is not player housing, it's the sort of thing you'd expect to find in a low budget F2P or single player game!
    Your horde or alliance and be dammed if you want race or gender customization, it's a cheap use of the concept to cover up the fact that it's a quest hub.

Guild housing " we feel the guild leaders would take control " sorry to burst your bubble on that one Blizzard, most players join a active or raid guild, hoping the guild leaders are in control!
    This is the real opportunity missed, what could be more epic than having all your raid or guild achievements mounted and placed on some great hall wall ? what else could help a player feel more part of a guild than having a home ? what else could help you feel part of a community than actually being in one.

The amount of buildings required to be made is a lot, believe it or not.
    Guild Garrisons would be absolutely terrible, how could I get excited over a feature that I can't even use? That's a fucking stupid idea.
    You can have trophies in your Garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by BiruWW View Post
    The amount of buildings required to be made is a lot, believe it or not.
    Guild Garrisons would be absolutely terrible, how could I get excited over a feature that I can't even use? That's a fucking stupid idea.
    You can have trophies in your Garrison.
    I can agree with that. I too would want a feature I can actually use, not someone else. Garrisons is once again (IMO) a testing ground for the future and I believe if it pans out well, they will add way more as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    I can agree with that. I too would want a feature I can actually use, not someone else. Garrisons is once again (IMO) a testing ground for the future and I believe if it pans out well, they will add way more as time goes on.
    yeah they are probably going to see how well Garrisons are received in WoD before adding much else. If all goes as according to plan, Blizzard will probably expand on the concept. The problem with player housing has always been that people are afraid no one would be in capital cities anymore and that being in your own instanced player house would be more beneficial, hence separating players from each other. A counter argument could be that no one hangs out in Orgrimmar/Stormwind on most servers anyway... so who cares. Hell Orgrimmar on my server (Tichondrius, which is full btw) is always completely dead. Shrine is decently populated at best sometimes.
    Think for yourself.

I feel like Blizzard is putting an excessive amount of work into something that essentially amounts to a glorified quest hub.

I was with you until you brought up guild leaders. That kind of invalidated your existance to me :/. It's clearly a good descision to exclude 95% of the playerbase from a feature that takes up ridiculous amounts of dev time so far.

I agree on the matter of racial garrisons and not simpy faction based. But you lost me on guild leaders. That would be a waste of time. This is something Guild Wars I had, and I hated it. While people like to have someone in control to take care of the "paperwork" they hate to have someone in control when it comes to their customization options. Because whatever Guild Leader does, it will in the end always amount to his own liking, and not to that of the whole guild.

As I said in my post about garrisons, I want at least choice between the two. The current Alliance and Horde garrison. You just slap a coat of blue on the Horde rooftops and it is another, rustic, savage, in tune with the world Garrison available to Alliance. You paint the roofs of the Alliance garrison red, and stick some additional Horde banners to it, and Horde has good old fashioned fortress made of stone. Hell, even lore is not a problem, Forsaken for sure know how to build the Alliance style of buildings, while Draenei should have enough knowledge to build something in a style of orcs, and then say it is for better integration with the world, for them not to stand out in this wilderness that is Draenor.
    http://cogitationesastalnaris.blogsp...garrisons.html

Deleted
    Think the negative vibes on guild housing shows the road the games taken since vanilla, from needing to be in a group ( multi ) to the single player experience we have now and going forward.

All this seems to conspire to my theory that at the end of Warlords, the titans will be so enraged by the deeds of the old gods, they wipe the Warlords reality clean!
    This resets that reality and creates the emerald dream, making all players equal and allowing our console brothers on the PS4 to join us.

" stranger things happen at sea "

Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    Think the negative vibes on guild housing shows the road the games taken since vanilla, from needing to be in a group ( multi ) to the single player experience we have now and going forward.

All this seems to conspire to my theory that at the end of Warlords, the titans will be so enraged by the deeds of the old gods, they wipe the Warlords reality clean!
    This resets that reality and creates the emerald dream, making all players equal and allowing our console brothers on the PS4 to join us.

You just changed the topic because people did not agree with you? People don't want a system like this to be used by 1% of the wow pop.

Yes Garrisons could be bigger, but I feel we know so little yet about Garrisons, and more can always be added. Blizzard has already added things that we have asked for, for Garrisons.

I also don't want my GM to control my Garrisons, because I will just go make my own guild and solo it, making more problems down the track for players and guilds.

Blizzard choose the word garrison well, because lets face it....this is not player housing, it's the sort of thing you'd expect to find in a low budget F2P or single player game!
    Your horde or alliance and be dammed if you want race or gender customization, it's a cheap use of the concept to cover up the fact that it's a quest hub.

Guild housing " we feel the guild leaders would take control " sorry to burst your bubble on that one Blizzard, most players join a active or raid guild, hoping the guild leaders are in control!
    This is the real opportunity missed, what could be more epic than having all your raid or guild achievements mounted and placed on some great hall wall ? what else could help a player feel more part of a guild than having a home ? what else could help you feel part of a community than actually being in one.
    They are against guild housing because it lacks customization. The lead and officers would use it, and that is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on, Garrisons will be great. Blizzards is giving us Bots to play the game for us, even when we are offline. Talk about compelling game play!

Here's the problem, start to finish: Blizzard developers don't consider creation or customization to be gameplay. You'll get to make lots of choices during your garrison gameplay experience, but they won't be creative choices; they'll be strategic choices. They've taken all of the fun of designing your gameplay experience for themselves, and left none of it for you.

They create; you consume. That is the division of tasks in your relationship with Blizzard. If you want any creative control, from designing space around yourself to customizing your own appearance, you'll have to cultivate a relationship with a different group of game developers. It took me many years to understand that.

No, OP. Blizzard is right. If Guild Garrisons existed, the Guild Master would take all the fun.

And don't speak for me. I wouldn't want my GM having all the control over such a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    No, OP. Blizzard is right. If Guild Garrisons existed, the Guild Master would take all the fun.

And don't speak for me. I wouldn't want my GM having all the control over such a feature.
    Blizzard actually used this exact logic when they explained why they weren't a guild feature back at BlizzCon. They realized that it would be great fun for the guild master, but everyone else would have only a marginal interest in them.

And it's also important to remember that it, not being a guild feature doesn't mean it doesn't have social components. They've talked about things like being able to send followers on joint missions with your friends, or being able to bring your followers to reinforce a friend's garrison during an invasion scenario.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I feel like Blizzard is putting an excessive amount of work into something that essentially amounts to a glorified quest hub.
    Have you seen Garrison gameplay or something? I'd like to know more details about how Garrisons are just a quest hub.

I don't want it because it wouldn't look at all like a good feature on an expansion, and it's nothing I'd get excited for because I can't even use it.
    "Guild Garrisons!*

*only guild masters and officers can use it"

Deleted
    I think the only way that guild garrisons could work without abuse is by changing the guild system.

Maybe the guilds that would like to obtain a garrison would have to convert their guild into a different type (i.e. Fort) with different rules and laws.

Once a guild turns into a fort, players can choose to join or leave themselves (nobody can remove them in whims of power).
    Everyone who joins should have access to all the unlocked facilities (run by NPCs) and can contribute anyway they feel like it. The more you contribute, the higher your percentage of features you get to unlock for yourself.

A system that mostly runs by itself.. not by the players and the countless drama that can happen between tasks. As far as titles and fort roles go, players should be able to apply (to an NPC) for the job they want and then work towards it, unlocking more features and titles along the way.

Anyhow.. in my mind something like that would be the only way it could work in a fair and honest way.

I think the bad thing about garrisons is that you can't choose where they'll stay: they are presented to you in someplace and you have to accept it. Sounds like nothing but a customizable quest hub to me.

Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    I think the bad thing about garrisons is that you can't choose where they'll stay: they are presented to you in someplace and you have to accept it. Sounds like nothing but a customizable quest hub to me.
    There's still a possibility you're able to move them, if you look at this picture here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I suppose you are one of those people who prefer them to spend more time on pet battles.
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard will cancel Garrisons. There is no way to release this as W* housing is 1000x better. The old wow engine cannot compete. They cant take the risk to release something that everybody will compare to W* housing.

Better scrap it and put ressources in new models/ new raids or new features etc...
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2014-05-25 at 09:36 PM.