Deleted

Lua script question

Hey guys just want to ask a quick question
    I bought a programmable G600 mouse and wanted ask if it is ok with blizzard if the mouse uses this script:

function OnEvent(event, arg, family)
    if event == "MOUSE_BUTTON_PRESSED" and arg == 9 then
    PressKey("e")
    ReleaseKey("e")
    elseif event == "MOUSE_BUTTON_RELEASED" and arg == 9 then
    PressMouseButton(1)
    ReleaseMouseButton(1)
    end
    end

What i want to do is if i press the button it uses a key like "E" for instance and if i release the button it uses the left mouse button click.
    This script seems to work but i want to know if it is ok with blizzard before i try it in wow.

Yes, Blizzard is generally okay with scripts as long as they aren't completely automating something, like spamming a macro that prospects ore and such. A general rule of thumb to follow is "one input, one action" meaning that one input from your mouse/keyboard should correspond to one button press in game.

I'm not much into scripts so I don't know exactly what yours does, but if it is spamming E and Mouse Button 1 while only holding the button down, that sounds a bit risky to me.

Deleted
    Thx for the reply.
    So are there any alternative ways around this , some sort of sequence like the first button press activates the programmed key and the second press activating the left mouse click.Thats 2 clicks for 2 actions even if im pressing the same button.
    Last edited by mmoc5b91e846ec; 2014-05-25 at 02:30 PM.

Deleted
    Thx but i dont want it to select the area for me just cast it at the place my cursor is.But yeah it is really annoying that blizzard is so in the grey in these things.
    For instance alot of my Addons functions cant be done using the ingame interface.Like TSM.
    And i really dont see the problem with the double -duty button its just like the castsequence macro inside wow.
    Last edited by mmoc5b91e846ec; 2014-05-25 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    Thx for the info m8 really appreciate it.
    Tough im really getting conflicting information from the official forums heres a message from a gm that i found on the forum:

Greetings, I am Game Master <Removed - Please follow our naming and shaming guidelines>.

Thanks for getting on to us about this. Sorry for the wait time! We are working hard to get it down under control recently.

What you detailed sounds fine. You're in control of the character and you need to press a button for them to do heroic leap. Having the target area selected at your mouse instead of needing to aim it then click it is handier but it's not against our terms of use.

The area you need to avoid getting into is where the character can start playing by itself when you press one button, or where it can play without you at your keyboard. Setting up a macro to have a character walk here, do this, then walk over there, do something else, with one button press is where things are being automated. The important thing is that you are at your keyboard and your character needs you active in order to be able to do anything.

I hope this helps, and wish you all the best and good luck.

<Removed - Please follow our naming and shaming guidelines>
    English Game Master Team
    Blizzard Europe

But just to be 100% sure ill make a ticket too.Untill then ill use my regular keybinds.

Deleted
    Cant post pics since i saw it on the forums so it might be fake ill wait for my tickets response and post it here hopefully it will claryfy a few things. heres my thread on the wow forums
    eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10762226669?page=1#6
    Last edited by mmoc5b91e846ec; 2014-05-25 at 05:56 PM.

Deleted
    Chances are that your GM was just wrong, evn. I don't think he really answered your question, he just stated their rules. But more to the point, all these rules regarding botting etc are so vague that I don't believe anyone knows for certain what, exactly, is allowed or not. As far as I'm concerned, there's no automation involved here. You're not automating when to cast, where to cast or what to cast. If you were to somehow automate when or where to cast, that should definitely be against the rules, but as long as it's not, I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    it's against the ToS but you won't get banned because it cannot be tracked

Based on a generous interpretation of blizzard's stance, where one button outside of game should equal one-button in-game then you could have the same key, where it does it with two consecutive keypresses, one to activate the reticule and the second to "click" it.
    However certainly doing it with a single keypress as described in the first post is against the terms of service, and something you should not be doing.

We haven't had enough consistency to determine if the two press solution is acceptable or not.
    Ask blizzard, and if you get a positive reply but later act differently then you have at least some supporting evidence.
    But it is at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    it's against the ToS but you won't get banned because it cannot be tracked
    We have no evidence as to what can or can't be.
    Players have had action taken against them for a 1-button version described in the original post.
    Whether that is due to player reports or detection we cannot say for certain.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Lack of reaction to every example is not proof that they aren't.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-05-25 at 09:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    sorry i forgot to add "legally". No way Blizzard can track software working below the game level without passing the grey line (in that case, is tracking a possible ToS violation worth a lawsuit?) therefore is safe to assume they're not doing it. Obviously you're going to get banned in a short time if your script spam a keybind exactly every 50ms for 2 straight hours of gameplay, but you need to be damn stupid to not put a random delay

Still, i repeat, it's against the ToS so don't do that
    Last edited by S7orm; 2014-05-26 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    sorry i forgot to add "legally". No way Blizzard can track software working below the game level without passing the grey line (in that case, is tracking a possible ToS violation worth a lawsuit?) therefore is safe to assume they're not doing it. Obviously you're going to get banned in a short time if your script spam a keybind exactly every 50ms for 2 straight hours of gameplay, but you need to be damn stupid to not put a random delay

Still, i repeat, it's against the ToS so don't do that
    Depends on the detection method.
    Blizzard can and have detected the use of known botting software.
    How they go about the detection is something that we don't know in detail for good reason.
    I expect it certainly tries to detect manipulation of the memory, or game files.
    Though whether it examines any external processes we can't be sure of.
    What about it would be illegal anyway, given how many games come with anti-cheat software.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    WOW just WOW i don't even know how this even qualifies as an answer but here's my gm response.
    imgur.com/rQ8rpkD
    It is so goddamn vague.
    The only things i found are these:
    To obtain a competitive advantage over other players.
    Anything that Blizzard Entertainment considers contrary to the "essence" of World of Warcraft
    Last edited by mmoc5b91e846ec; 2014-05-26 at 09:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkay View Post
    WOW just WOW i don't even know how this even qualifies as an answer but here's my gm response.
    imgur.com/rQ8rpkD
    It is so goddamn vague.
    The only things i found are these:
    To obtain a competitive advantage over other players.
    Anything that Blizzard Entertainment considers contrary to the "essence" of World of Warcraft
    I'm guessing this bit:
    (2) Connecting, or creating tools that allow you to connect, to World of Warcraft's proprietary interface or interfaces, other than those explicitly provided by Blizzard Entertainment for your use.
    That's a terrible answer, but I'm not sure it's better or worse that they openly admit that they are unable to interpret the rules themselves, rather than taking a guess.

Anyway, there's no gameplay in activating the spell before casting it; that's merely a limitation of the UI. The gameplay is in aiming and casting the spell.

Deleted
    I'd venture a guess and say the rules being vague in this case is pretty much the entire point.

A vague statement gives blizzard room in unexpected circumstances.
    I think when given a specific example though blizzard should be clearer.
    And I think what the OP asks for, both the activation and the click on the single keypress should not be allowed.
    The mechanism is very intentionally designed to work one way, with no in-game support for doing it differently.
    Two consecutive presses of the key is a convenience factor, and not breaking the intended method for use.
    Both on a single press is.

Deleted
    OK so here is another script:
    TIMEOUT = 1500

function OnEvent(event, arg, family)
    if event == "MOUSE_BUTTON_PRESSED" and arg == 9 then
    if GetRunningTime() - (timestamp or 0) >= TIMEOUT then index = 0 end
    index = (index or 0) + 1
    if index > 2 then index = 1 end
    if index == 1 then
    PressKey("e")
    elseif index == 2 then
    PressMouseButton(1)
    end
    timestamp = GetRunningTime()
    elseif event == "MOUSE_BUTTON_RELEASED" and arg == 9 then
    if index == 1 then
    ReleaseKey("e")
    elseif index == 2 then
    ReleaseMouseButton(1)
    end
    end
    end

What this does is this:
    On the first click it clicks "E".
    On the second click it clicks the left mouse button.
    And if you dont click it a second time for 1,5 s it jumps back to the beginning of the script so if you are spamming it it wont leave it at the 2nd stage of the script.
    There is no timing between hardware events so each click is like a click you would do on a keyboard or mouse unlike the previous script which uses the mouses top response speed so each click lasted 2-3ms which is impossible for a human but witch this script each click last just as long as a real click would on you keyboard or mouse.
    Many THX to kgober on the logitech forums.
    Last edited by mmoc5b91e846ec; 2014-05-27 at 10:27 AM.