Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ugh.. that's sad. The best of intentions, I guess.

Only people to blame are the muggers in this.
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2014-05-25 at 10:50 PM.

IMO, the moral of the story isn't about issues with altruism. It's simply that carrying large amounts of money on your person is dangerous.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Black person helping out a white person?

Wow, you don't see that every decade. Not to bring race into this, but that genuinely surprised me. The fact that this black man has empathy is a good thing even if surprising, too bad it screwed up but that's not the point. Good on him.

I always tell my co-worker if I ever win the lottery I am buying his next door neighbors home and turning it into a 24hr homeless shelter. See, even I am generous from time to time.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2014-05-26 at 01:15 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demontjuh View Post
    those that upload vids of themselfs giving homeless stuff/money aint doing it purely for the homeless, its self interest why else would you tape it.
    Absolutely, but who cares? If I was homeless and someone gave me money for food, clothes and a place to stay, those things would be just as amazing even if I knew he did it for selfish reasons. All these celebrities announcing how much money they give to charity are doing it for selfish reasons, but the money is very much real.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Never give a homeless man money, the reason they are homeless may be because of an addiction, and they probably just buy alcohol/tobacco/drugs instead of what's important to help them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Err why are you blaming the guy who gave d made the video? The person who you should be mad at is the guy who stole his money.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Err why are you blaming the guy who gave d made the video? The person who you should be mad at is the guy who stole his money.
    It's a pretty simple concept if you took a minute to read what was being said. The homeless guy got robbed because the thieves saw the video of him receiving the money. If the video wasn't uploaded, the man wouldn't have been robbed by those people.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the homeless man wouldn't have been robbed by other people, but those specific people used the video to find an easy mark and went for it. The blame is on the, oh so charitable "did it for the youtube hits" boxer for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    As much as its a nice thing he did, it's a calculated PR stunt with minimal blowback.

Him uploading it on a personal YT channel kind of furthers that agenda, i mean, i still respect that fact of giving money to the needy; But he did it with a goal in mind most likely.

And his desire for good PR resulted in that man being slapped around and mugged.

I agree. What he did was nice, but him uploading it so that others can see how nice he is kind of devalues that. Someone who is really nice, and wants to give another something and make their day better needs nothing in return. Not money, not recognition, not praise. It's nice if it happens per chance, but it should not be the goal, because then it stops being selfless.

Deleted
    I suppose the good old saying "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" suits this situations like a glove.
    I guess we should add "feed a man for a lifetime, and he'll get his ass mugged"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    It's a pretty simple concept if you took a minute to read what was being said. The homeless guy got robbed because the thieves saw the video of him receiving the money. If the video wasn't uploaded, the man wouldn't have been robbed by those people.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the homeless man wouldn't have been robbed by other people, but those specific people used the video to find an easy mark and went for it. The blame is on the, oh so charitable "did it for the youtube hits" boxer for this one.
    Whether he did want fame does not count out for what he did. Fuck if more people get famous off givibg homeless people money it would be fine for me because more people would do it and you have less homeless in the world. Unless he made it way to easy to find the homeless guy, I think it is fine.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Shouldn't have put it on youtube. Things would have probably been fine.
    Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one

-Martin Heidegger

Broner also has videos of him flushing $20 bills down the toilet and going down on a stripper at a club. He needed some good publicity after the WBC suspended him for his "can man" speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    It kind of is the uploader's fault too , Why does he need to make sure everyone knows how good he is giving some homeless guy a stack of money?
    People need to know that giving is all right if you feel like it, and that there are people like him. That's why.
    As to why it's a VIDEO, well that's a philosophical debate. Basically Youtube is heaven for those who cannot write/read anymore, and just wanna waste time watching stupid miniclips.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    What a dumbass. Wanted "fame" for showing off his "good" intentions, then it backfires. Lel.

Sucks for the homeless man though
    Blame the dickheads who did the mugging, not the boxer. Even if it was for fame, it was a net good.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Blame the dickheads who did the mugging, not the boxer. Even if it was for fame, it was a net good.
    To bad the homeless guy wasn't armed, then maybe he could have defended himself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    To bad the homeless guy wasn't armed, then maybe he could have defended himself.
    Hes homeless, so he is armed with aids and other diseases! Though it will take a while for those to kick in...

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Hes homeless, so he is armed with aids and other diseases! Though it will take a while for those to kick in...
    The stereotyping! I bet some homeless have better hygiene then MMO posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    For people who believes in altruism - this is what it amounts too. Every so called "selfless" act is selfish. Every, no exclusions. Just because you don't see the gain for the good doer, doesn't mean there's none. There always is.

Also never do charity. As no good deed comes unpunished and the road to proverbial hell is paved by very real good deeds.

As Kreia said - let them struggle their own battles, that will make them better.
    We're not all heartless cynical people. And I completely disagree with every single one of your points.

I give to charity. It hurts me because I have little enough as it is. I don't harp on about it, I don't brag about it, I don't even feel good about it (because I just think that I should give more, or that my small efforts will be wasted) but I do it anyway. I help people and ask for nothing in return - and sometimes others help me and ask nothing as well. That's how things should be.

You better just hope you're never unfortunate enough to need charity, otherwise you might realise just how twisted your view of the world is when you realise personal suffering isn't going to make you stronger - its going to make you weaker and more desperate and demolish every single value you currently have in the name of simple survival.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The stereotyping! I bet some homeless have better hygiene then MMO posters.
    Can't a murloc make a sarcastic post without getting treated seriously here, Geesh...

Unless you are being sarcastic and I would say "All mmo posters here have diseases here but nothing deadly, stupidity is not a disease."