Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It's so similar to being a car enthusiast that the term car enthusiast was coined decades ago to describe it.

Or car bore, depending on how interesting you are.
    I like car bore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    Context decides the meaning of the words nerd/geek, not school kids. Both words have the dictionary meaning of a person who knows a lot/is very interested in a particular field or activity.

I think OP defines it pretty well in his post, "geeks can answer the most absurd questions about their chosen obsession." Have you never had that? When you're asked about some activity/field you love, and your answer is sooo specific and detailed it makes the person exclaim "you're such a nerd!"
    Want definitions?

Geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person.
    Nerd: a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

Modern interpretations of the words exist, but we'd be better served just borrowing a term like otaku. English is infamous for doing this already.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Taste is subjective, denouncing someone for their taste, even simply mainstream tastes, just shows snobbery on your part. It's great to like something passionately, I like touring vineyards in the summer, as well I micro breweries. I don't judge someone because they like heineken.
    You just do your best to hide your condescending nature and tone with omitted words and short pauses.

- - - Updated - - -

Want definitions?

Nerd: a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

Modern interpretations of the words exist, but we'd be better served just borrowing a term like otaku. English is infamous for doing this already.
    We would be? or you would be so that your opinion on a term is correct?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    You just do your best to hide your condescending nature and tone with omitted words and short pauses.
    Oh I don't hide it, I'd be insane not to be more condescending online when I'm contractually, and morally, obligated to never be in my profession.

And you are a snob, and I am condescending and abrupt. My being condescending doesn't disprove your being a snob.

- - - Updated - - -

We would be? or you would be so that your opinion on a term is correct?
    Well by reworking a word to fit a new definition reduces our overall cultural capital. Adding words increases our ability to better describe, well anything! Take entrepreneur, borrowed from the French.

Oh I don't hide it, I'd be insane not to be more condescending online when I'm contractually, and morally, obligated to never be in my profession.

And you are a snob, and I am condescending and abrupt. My being condescending doesn't disprove your being a snob.

- - - Updated - - -

Well by reworking a word to fit a new definition reduces our overall cultural capital. Adding words increases our ability to better describe, well anything! Take entrepreneur, borrowed from the French.
    I am a beer snob, I was paid to be one for a while (worked for a distributor of craft and mircobrew beer as a salesman) before my current profession. But I still won't turn down a free pint of anything nor will I pour out someones glass of beer and buy them something with more flavor and alcohol content. But I will promote small businesses trying to take a portion of a dominated market and help a consumer find something new while supporting a local business or budding business.

Deleted
    Have you never had that? When you're asked about some activity/field you love, and your answer is sooo specific and detailed it makes the person exclaim "you're such a nerd!"
    Why do I get the impression that this scenario is a personal fantasy of yours? I can just imagine you, imagining some big-titted girl playfully calling you a nerd before you sleep together.

Most people would roll their eyes as you go into micro-detail over a question they were just being polite in asking you.

Deleted
    I am a beer snob, I was paid to be one for a while (worked for a distributor of craft and mircobrew beer as a salesman) before my current profession. But I still won't turn down a free pint of anything nor will I pour out someones glass of beer and buy them something with more flavor and alcohol content. But I will promote small businesses trying to take a portion of a dominated market and help a consumer find something new while supporting a local business or budding business.
    Micropubs are finally taking off here in Ireland, and thankfully have educated staff. Even do proper tasting boards of half pints!

But some people just don't like "fancier" beers, some people like fried pickles and melon ice cream, some nutters like Twilight! Taste is a weird beast indeed.

From what i know geeks are the wierd people with a small autistic disorder that don't show any kind of emotion + nerdy behaviour. Largely, these people don't exist. The term you are looking for is NERD. Or they mean the same thing but nerd is a bit cooler or something :P

ANYWAYS, don't be stupid and don't do tags on people, including yourself. Videogames are pretty mainstream nowadays and even grandmas play them so shuush.

Oh and i don't see any other meaning to this "pride" or "parade" nonsense other than taking revenge on the "normal" people that forced you into being a social recluse. /barf ; ZOMGBreakingNewsFlash there are no "normal" people u can piss off atm, oh wait ur pissing off the actual "nerds"/"geeks".

Happy day to you sir!

Its also Douglas Adams appreciation day as well. Geek Pride Day started in 1977 which I also found interesting.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2014-05-25 at 10:51 PM.

Want definitions?

What makes you think those definitions predate the ones you intentionally left out? I wouldn't borrow a term like Otaku, considering how it came to be, even if its pejorative nature died out in some circles. Better stick with nerd/geek, both words already have established positive uses.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Deleted
    What makes you think those definitions predate the ones you intentionally left out? I wouldn't borrow a term like Otaku, considering how it came to be, even if its pejorative nature died out in some circles. Better stick with nerd/geek, both words already have established positive uses.
    Nerd and Geek have the same route in terms of connotation, neither were ever a positive thing in their inception.

Geek is routed to freak, nerd is routed to terms like square, turkey, or other "uncool" terms of the late 50's and mid 60's.

Micropubs are finally taking off here in Ireland, and thankfully have educated staff. Even do proper tasting boards of half pints!

But some people just don't like "fancier" beers, some people like fried pickles and melon ice cream, some nutters like Twilight! Taste is a weird beast indeed.
    Working in a beer store before being a distributor I learned a lot of people were just uninformed or generally hesitant to try fancier beers, but I watched a lot of people convert over to better crafted beers if they weren't taken too far away from the taste they already knew.

Twilight the movie/book craze or like some sort of food? This is a serious inquiry btw. Micro is starting to take off here in a sense, but AB and Miller are doing their best to buy up all the microbrews and craft brews and then dumb down the recipes with artificial flavors and extracts as opposed to real ingredients. Its a bummer. I'd also take a few mainstream Euro beers over American mainstream beer. Miller lite and Bud light are truly gross, a full flavor Bud/Miller/Coors is way better, but the idea of less calories keeps the others promoted and suffered through. An Old Style is a much nicer simple pilsner for sure, less skunk and water.

Are the Irish micropubs still making malt forward beers? I know that was a big thing early in beer making there because the ingredients are more readily available than some of the more exotic hops etc. An ESB/Red Ale/brown ales? Btw half-pint glasses are badass and I wish more places in the US used them. Great for sampling, its more than most sample glasses here, but still not enough to put you over the edge after trying a few different brews.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2014-05-25 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Why do I get the impression that this scenario is a personal fantasy of yours? I can just imagine you, imagining some big-titted girl playfully calling you a nerd before you sleep together.

Most people would roll their eyes as you go into micro-detail over a question they were just being polite in asking you.
    Ahh that was weird. If you're intent on guessing what I was imagining, it was Ping-Pong, or Table Tennis, no tittie fantasies involved.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Deleted
    Working in a beer store before being a distributor I learned a lot of people were just uninformed or generally hesitant to try fancier beers, but I watched a lot of people convert over to better crafted beers if they weren't taken too far away from the taste they already knew.

Twilight the movie/book craze or like some sort of food? This is a serious inquiry btw. Micro is starting to take off here in a sense, but AB and Miller are doing their best to buy up all the microbrews and craft brews and then dumb down the recipes with artificial flavors and extracts as opposed to real ingredients. Its a bummer. I'd also take a few mainstream Euro beers over American mainstream beer. Miller lite and Bud light are truly gross, a full flavor Bud/Miller/Coors is way better, but the idea of less calories keeps the others promoted and suffered through. An Old Style is a much nicer simple pilsner for sure, less skunk and water.

Are the Irish micropubs still making malt forward beers? I know that was a big thing early in beer making there because the ingredients are more readily available than some of the more exotic hops etc. An ESB/Red Ale/brown ales?
    The local micro pubs here do everything from malt heavy, to hop heavy, to fruit beers, to batch made mead from local honey. Ales have sort of gone out of fashion right now, pale ales still are safe, but blonde beers are the vogue.

Another interesting thing are herb flavoured beers, like triple hobbed with rosemary added on the third hobbing.

Most people here would drink the normal miller etc, but people who grow out of it typically move to the ales and stouts you'd know, e.g. Murphys or Smithwick's

Deleted
    Ahh that was weird. If you're intent on guessing what I was imagining, it was Ping-Pong, or Table Tennis, no tittie fantasies involved.
    You have poor imagination then, my tits go everywhere when I play table tennis.

is the Motto

Were here were coding plug in your own damn printer?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Yeah, when you play table tennis. Uh-huh. Slut.

Nerd and Geek have the same route in terms of connotation, neither were ever a positive thing in their inception.

Geek is routed to freak, nerd is routed to terms like square, turkey, or other "uncool" terms of the late 50's and mid 60's.
    Well, we can both agree that meaning and usage evolve. Like I said earlier, context plays a role. You can call someone a nerd for being tech savvy, and unless they were communicatively incompetent, they wouldn't be offended. Otaku had its meaning evolve. Personally, I wouldn't use Otaku for the same reason I would never use the disgusting phrase "an hero."

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Meh if you're playing Ping Pong without wearing a sports bra you're just asking for trouble.

The local micro pubs here do everything from malt heavy, to hop heavy, to fruit beers, to batch made mead from local honey. Ales have sort of gone out of fashion right now, pale ales still are safe, but blonde beers are the vogue.

Another interesting thing are herb flavoured beers, like triple hobbed with rosemary added on the third hobbing.

Most people here would drink the normal miller etc, but people who grow out of it typically move to the ales and stouts you'd know, e.g. Murphys or Smithwick's
    The herb beers are really interesting, in my area we've spawn 3 microbreweries and 3 brew pubs in the passed 2 years. A couple of them have a device that goes by the name of a Randall, but its basically a device that hooks up to the tap and then filters the beer through an ingredient, then moves it to a reservoir, then you tap from the reservoir. Its all pressurized etc, but its allowed for a lot of really interesting combinations. Chili beers, mint, a quick dry hopping with full cone etc. Had a nice cucumber mint IPA the other day that was really interesting. An Orange Cream Ale on Nitro as well which was rather different.

The sour beer has become a big thing recently as well, which I've enjoyed, but its not everyone's cup of tea for sure and it isn't something I can do a lot of, its drys you out too much. But the flavor is really fun.

Smithwick's does pretty well here for our climate, I live in the south so a heavier beer in the heat doesn't go over as well. I hope to make it to Ireland on my next trip over to Europe. My family comes from there I think 3 generations back, maybe 4. Not 100% on my dad's families full on history its convoluted and lost for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    I admit don't personally have an easy time accepting that word and I wouldn't personally use it. I'm glad it's become so "trendy" and OK and for some to admit it since, lets face it, nearly every person is a "geek" about something (I don't care if it's computers or a football team, to be really into anything is kinda "geeky" behavior - you hear me, sports geeks? ), unless a person's life is so dull that they have no real passions. Everyone needs at least one passion they can "geek out" over.

But... Having been in glasses since the age of 10 back in '89, and come through the majority of my youth pre-"geeks are cool" trend, when too many people were stupid enough to assume that glasses, a simple necessary accessory, somehow meant something related to your personalty or traits other than your genetics gave you sucky vision... Yeah, I don't find it easy to accept that word. It's like a somewhat chunky kid getting teased throughout their childhood and suddenly finding fat is now trendy... Like my sister who was always that chunky kid (still is) and she posts on FB about being a geek for Dr. Who. In my day "geek/nerd" was derogatory... So those who find the fun in it, well have fun. But don't refer to me by that please...

But yeah, big WoW fan, Tangled, the new TMNT series... Guess that counts as my stuff, but I don't own much in the way of merchandise. (Ok, I have the Tangled dolls (specifically versions no longer sold that I had to hunt for), movie, and a tin box, but not really anything for the other interests. lol Edit: Though, ok, I would kinda love to have action figures of my WoW characters.)
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-05-26 at 12:41 AM.