Deterrence, what does it block?

Hello there Hunters! I have a fairly simple question to ask of you because I'm not too well verse in what exactly the ability will block and won't block, so I'd like to ask, what exactly does Deterrence block/not block, and is there a general guideline to follow with it? Some AoEs hit, some don't, some 'unblockable' attacks hit, and others don't, so... yeah. (Feel free to give raid examples)

PS: If anyone's curious, yes, this is knowledge-seeking for when Evanesce is live.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Hello there Hunters! I have a fairly simple question to ask of you because I'm not too well verse in what exactly the ability will block and won't block, so I'd like to ask, what exactly does Deterrence block/not block, and is there a general guideline to follow with it? Some AoEs hit, some don't, some 'unblockable' attacks hit, and others don't, so... yeah. (Feel free to give raid examples)

PS: If anyone's curious, yes, this is knowledge-seeking for when Evanesce is live.
    Take a look at this thread for raid examples: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ips-and-Tricks Its somewhat hit or miss on what it actually deflects. If it does not deflect the attack, it should negate some of the damage as per the tooltip. In some cases it can even be used to prevent a debuff being applied.

In terms of PvP, it should deflect all direct attacks. You will take damage from AoE spells though, just at a reduced amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Teucer View Post
    Take a look at this thread for raid examples: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ips-and-Tricks Its somewhat hit or miss on what it actually deflects. If it does not deflect the attack, it should negate some of the damage as per the tooltip.

In terms of PvP, it should deflect all direct attacks. You will take damage from AoE spells though, just at a reduced amount.
    Yeah, I've played Hunter before and know how very awkward it is unless you've already tested it against specific things. I know it DOES block some AoEs, but not most; was more or less curious which kinds it does and if there was a specific tell for it.

Not much of a PvP person, but thank you for that

Edit: *Going through the list* Wow. Deterrence blocks a LOT more than I thought. Actually kind of excited to try Evanesce now. Thanks for the link!
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Off top of my head:

Immerseus swirl and I think knockback too.
    Calamity/Inferno strike/Mark on protectors
    Beam on Noru
    Sha of pride swelling pride
    Galakras fire ball explosion shit maybe?
    Juggernaut shock pulse knockback (think it fully blocks the damage too)
    Shamans meteor thing that falls from the sky I think (as you can see I'm not 100% sure on these, just trying to remember)
    Malkorok arcing smash and breath, as well as implosion damage and the orbs that spawn
    Spoils bombs (be stood away from others)
    Garrosh iron star
    Garrosh smash in intermission
    Garrosh whirling

Prob a lot others too
    Last edited by mmoce7fe1d879b; 2014-05-26 at 10:03 AM.

To elaborate on Alth's post;

Siegecrafter;

Laser + Fire already on the group, grants no Superheated stacks.
    Shockwave Missiles (avoids knockup aswell).
    Overload aswell I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    Beam on Noru
    You can Disengage right through it as well.

Disengaging through beams is always a tricky proposition. WoW doesn't seem to have a way of doing a a "solid beam" mechanic, and instead, just does pulsing mechanics with really low intervals in a beam shape. Sure, you can disengage between a pulse, but it's kind of RNG and not to be relied on.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Disengaging through beams is always a tricky proposition. WoW doesn't seem to have a way of doing a a "solid beam" mechanic, and instead, just does pulsing mechanics with really low intervals in a beam shape. Sure, you can disengage between a pulse, but it's kind of RNG and not to be relied on.
    Not to mention, as a hunter it's so stupidly easy to move around it anyway. Why take the chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryas View Post
    Not to mention, as a hunter it's so stupidly easy to move around it anyway. Why take the chance?
    Cause we need the danger in our lives. Why take the easy road, filled with rainbows and candy, when you can take the rocky terrain shortcut, filled with pain and suffering. You know, all that kind of stuff.

Deleted
    There is 2 AE types of spells IMHO.

-AE targeted (like an ae debuff, or AE shadowbolt) : these should be deflected by Deterrence.
    - AE ae (like arcane explosion or the explosive trap DoT on ground) : these should not be deflected.

It Blocks everything you don't need to and lets go through everything you don't want to.

Doesn't deflect paladin blind for some reason.

Also if you cast anything while in deterrence you will be susceptible to cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    Also if you cast anything while in deterrence you will be susceptible to cc.
    What does this mean? Cast as in drop a trap?

Quote Originally Posted by Teucer View Post
    What does this mean? Cast as in drop a trap?
    revive pet, scare beast, dismiss pet.

Let me make it a bit more correct though: you will be susceptible to AOE cc, like dragon's breath, howl of terror, shockwave etc.

You can also be interrupted with skills like pummel while deterrenced if you cast either revive or scare beast.

Immerseus:
    Swirl
    Blob explosions

Protectors:
    Calamity
    That yellow circle explosion shit during rook transition
    General AoE damage during Sun transition

Norushen:
    AoE pulses from big mobs/orbs
    Beam

Sha:
    Swelling Pride
    Rifts (Heroic)

Galakras:
    Tower 'boss' cone attacks
    Dot's from fire orbs being applied

Juggernaut:
    Knockback and the damage

Shamans:
    Falling meteor

Nazgrim:
    AoE shout
    Fire on the floor after he leaps
    Most add abilities

Malkorok:
    Cone attacks
    Breath
    Orbs (heroic)

Spoils:
    Bombs, either ones on you, or ones on the floor you run over
    Orb explosions (heroic)

Thok:
    AoE pulses
    DoT's that may be applied (useful if you're at 4 stacks of ice one and want to make sure you don't get a 5th.

Siegecrafter:
    Mine explosions
    Overload
    Magnet AoE
    Laser Fire, prevents the dot from being applied

Klaxxi:
    Heard you can block Xaril's thing when he picks a colour, haven't been able to get it to work myself though.

Garrosh:
    Whirling Corruption
    Annihiliate
    Iron Star, and it's explosions
    Malice (heroic)
    Fire in P4 (heroic)

it blocks almost everything, and if you have dots it reduces the dmg, basically you should use it when you're in danger never hesitate to react it is your best solution at all times, survival is better than dying dps wise.

just try to not waste 2 deterrence because you were panicking