Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Post-TBC sword designs

Is there any sword after the first expansion that resembles an actual sword? An actual sword in this instance would qualify as a sharp, pointy blade. Shiny helps too. Lord knows I can't find one. It's mostly just thick, dull looking things with lots of rust, scratches and bandages/duct tape on them.

Zoid's Firelit Greatsword; an example of a weapon that is similar to a standard weapon that just looks inherently powerful. Personally I like the weapons like such the most, but I do agree, weapons don't really look like weapons anymore.

Definitely agree with this I wish weapons were a bit less ridiculous looking some times

10+ Year Old Account
    Most swords still look like swrods. They are just swords with lots of jewels and extra ornaments added on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldjman View Post
    Zoid's Firelit Greatsword; an example of a weapon that is similar to a standard weapon that just looks inherently powerful. Personally I like the weapons like such the most, but I do agree, weapons don't really look like weapons anymore.
    Pic for reference:

I am from the deep south

10+ Year Old Account
    I just wish they gave more Axes the ability to be placed on your back, like the ICC ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    Is there any sword after the first expansion that resembles an actual sword? An actual sword in this instance would qualify as a sharp, pointy blade. Shiny helps too. Lord knows I can't find one. It's mostly just thick, dull looking things with lots of rust, scratches and bandages/duct tape on them.
    Blacksmithing had the cobalt craft able in Wrath. Also in wrath was a boe world drop, armageddon, red sword of courage and its silver brother. Cata had Zoids as well a generic which while futuristic did still fit the bill more so than not. The only one from Mop that I can think of is the Jade Pandaren Treasure out of Jade Forest

Deleted
    Oh yeah, since TBC swords were all "actual swords" ... If you want a normal looking sword go do Deadmines or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can think of... Three... TBC swords that don't look as utterly ridiculous as anything that proceeded them... twin blade of the Phoenix, endbringer, and Greatsword of horrid dreams.

all the others were as chunky or glittery as anything that followed.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    most ulduar swords

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I can think of... Three... TBC swords that don't look as utterly ridiculous as anything that proceeded them... twin blade of the Phoenix, endbringer, and Greatsword of horrid dreams.

all the others were as chunky or glittery as anything that followed.
    Fel Greatsword and Blade of Savagery are ok in my opinion. I don't thin savagry is too glittery unlike the reskin for the 2h axe also in BT.

Not many. Dull was a color palette choice to avoid the "clown suit" problem that BC had, and it seems to have stuck. Sadly, despite my hopes that I might start hunting xmog in WoD content ... it has the same sort of palette. Drab, dull, and boring.

Then, my theory is, they noticed this made everything super-boring, so they went and pasted millions of complications on to them to try and make them, basically, suck less. Which didn't really work.

Deleted
    Yesterday i had the same thoughts. I just hate the way they design weapons and sets. Tiers in vanilla and tbc actually represented your class. Look at Bloodfang, look at Stormrage. As for weapons - where are axes like Draconic Avenger, Bryntroll? Where are swords like Maladath or Slayer of the Lifeless? These weapons looked so good and had a soul added to them. (God bless transmog) Today most weapons are shiny and colorful characterless "things" with gems.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...rChallenge.jpg
    What the hell does this represent?

p.s Where are paladin hammers? I am so disappointed they are not in the game. In Warcraft they were symbolic. When i said "paladin" i saw a guy with big hammer.
    Last edited by mmoca4d80be4eb; 2014-05-25 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxalys View Post
    Yesterday i had the same thoughts. I just hate the way they design weapons and sets. Tiers in vanilla and tbc actually represented your class. Look at Bloodfang, look at Stormrage. As for weapons - where are axes like Draconic Avenger, Bryntroll? Where are swords like Maladath or Slayer of the Lifeless? These weapons looked so good and had a soul added to them. (God bless transmog) Today most weapons are shiny and colorful characterless "things" with gems.

What the hell does this represent?
    The rifle is inspired by draenei architecture. The sword is based off the Iron Horde.
    That said... while I don't think they're terrible, the crazy, but not all bad, designs have made me really appreciate the more traditional fantasy RPG designs of Classic more. I already loved them in Classic, but now I like them even more. Certainly items today are of higher quality, but what does that quality matter if the items aren't as likeable? Oh well, ~subjectiveness~
    Last edited by Senka; 2014-05-25 at 08:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexxalys View Post
    That's actually a gun. Fits the whole "crystal-ish weapon for Draenei" thing imo.

As far as swords go, TBC had a lot of weird looking swords, not a whole lot filled the whole standard "sharp, pointy blade" thing. Most had ornaments, horns, thorns, crystals, gems, etc. that made them not be the standard sword you'd see in medieval stuff. Your best bet to find swords like that are from Vanilla/Classic, though a lot of them look like plastic swords to me.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2014-05-25 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Weird, I always thought BC-era weapons (those that weren't reskins from vanilla) looked utterly riddiculous, while for example the swords from Throne of Thunder looked badass and sharp.

id kinda like to see updated just "regular" gear. For nostalgias. Ya know, a regular sword, a wizard's pointy hat. Crap like that

Is there any sword after the first expansion that resembles an actual sword?
    Here's a list of 2H epic swords from TBC. With the exception of Khorium Champion none of those look like real, usable and properly balanced sword.

All rare and epic WoW weapons are decorative toys instead of tools that can kill people. Just deal with it and move on.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-05-25 at 08:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zin'rohk and Lionheart looked pretty gross. I wish their was more straight metallic swords but now their looking more like giant bananas(starshatter).