10+ Year Old Account

Recoloring your gears feature

Would you like Blizzard to add a feature where you can dye your gears? In order to dye your gears you must discover or buy that dye just once then you are free to dye your gears as much as you want. It will be kinda similar to GW2. What do you think folks good idea or bad?

Discuss please and thanks for reading.

A long time ago when asked about this blizzard said it was not possible as recolors require a new texture for each color. A player wouldn't be able to dye their armor however they want, they'd only be able to chose between pre-made color scheme blizzard would have to create.

I.E. A Dye system would only be able switch the colors of http://www.wowhead.com/item=100957#modelviewer:1+0
    to http://www.wowhead.com/item=92848#modelviewer:1+0

Something Xmog does now.

Blizzard may have new technology to be able to dynamically change color on the gear without needing a new texture for it, but they haven't said anything recently that I know of.

I always like the idea of dying gear (GW2, Aion). However, I'm not sure what the outcome would be or how it would even work for older gear. We also have four raiding tiers now, and I'd want to see the tier sets different in design. Better quality, I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of gear in WoW may be suited for this, but a lot aren't. Blizzard wouldn't be willing to put in the effort into making this a reality.
    Currently Procrastinating

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have welcomed dye systems, like they have in Diablo 3.

Make some dye be rare and so on. Problem here then comes, preparing and recoding a lot of equipment to be easier to change colors on.

As well, a 'silly' rule might end up being on dye too, like on transmog.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I would have welcomed dye systems, like they have in Diablo 3.
    The difference between WoW and D3 is that gear in D3 was designed with dyes in mind from day one, to introduce such a system in WoW now, you'd have to retrofit nearly 10 years worth of models to accommodate it.

Deleted
    There are combinations of gear that would simply be amazing if dyeing was allowed. Currently the biggest challenge with transmogs is fininding fitting shades of colored gear to mix & match. Many times you have to compromise to get something that looks like a match and a dye system would simply take away that restriction allowing amazing combinations of gear.

I am always in favor of additions that allow creativity in the game.

Perhaps in a future patch, Blizzard will decide to revamp the old gear with HD versions and in the process implement a dye system.

Yes, the idea of being able to 'unlock' a unique shade of dye by finishing something (achievements, raids, bosses, pvp, questing) is something that could REALLY work in favor of the current game mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
    The difference between WoW and D3 is that gear in D3 was designed with dyes in mind from day one, to introduce such a system in WoW now, you'd have to retrofit nearly 10 years worth of models to accommodate it.
    That is why I said it, my friend. Would demand a lot of preparing and recoding of equipment.

Would be an awesome feature but with priorities, I think it would need to be handled on the side. Would take too much time else. We are afterall having a database of thousands of different designs isn't easy. Could be an easier solution in the long run but not an easy goal just for customizing alone.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

A Diablo-style dye system would never work. In case you hadn't noticed alot of the time the results are pretty horrible, and it doesn't always account for textures and designs of the item. You just don't see it too much because you're zoomed out all the time. Plus you can't just "add" this kind of thing... every single skin of every item in the game would have to be remade from scratch.

The other kind of dyeing would be just switching between a small selection of preset skins. The problems with that are 1) that there would only be a 1-3 choices most of the time and 2), that it completely destroys the current sysem of having a different colour for different modes (one colour for heroic, another for PVP etc).

I think it would be cool but probably too difficult to implement.

everyone would be pink,black/red

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PGGR View Post
    There are combinations of gear that would simply be amazing if dyeing was allowed. Currently the biggest challenge with transmogs is fininding fitting shades of colored gear to mix & match. Many times you have to compromise to get something that looks like a match and a dye system would simply take away that restriction allowing amazing combinations of gear.

I am always in favor of additions that allow creativity in the game.

Perhaps in a future patch, Blizzard will decide to revamp the old gear with HD versions and in the process implement a dye system.

Yes, the idea of being able to 'unlock' a unique shade of dye by finishing something (achievements, raids, bosses, pvp, questing) is something that could REALLY work in favor of the current game mechanics.
    I can see it now: "Gladiator Grey"

This is the kind of stuff they need to be giving out as high level pvp rewards.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    It will be a feature in the next x-pac and then we will have threads like "This suxx, WoD had garrisons, now we get dyes. It is lazy and nobody wants it anyhow"

Mark my words.

I also think it would be something to save for the day WoW drops the sub fee and sell it in the shop. (If they ever go f2p that is)
    Garrisons are way lazier than armor dyes would be. I doubt they had to reinvent much for the garrison feature. Armor dyes would require major overhauls.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Garrisons are way lazier than armor dyes would be. I doubt they had to reinvent much for the garrison feature. Armor dyes would require major overhauls.
    Ow my head...

I'm not entirely sure if you're serious.

The thing is Blizzard very heavily relies on recoloring their gear every tier to save on resources. If we could dye our own gear Blizzard would have to make actually different gear for each difficulty every tier and we all know how Blizzard feels about increasing their resources for stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    The horror.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    It will be a feature in the next x-pac and then we will have threads like "This suxx, WoD had garrisons, now we get dyes. It is lazy and nobody wants it anyhow"

Mark my words.

I also think it would be something to save for the day WoW drops the sub fee and sell it in the shop. (If they ever go f2p that is)
    Yeah, people will complain about how x feature they didnt ask for is hurting the development of their preferred content and will constantly whine about it, as if they believed that they were more important than the rest of the playerbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    Big feeling that pink only would go under the 'silly' rule as well. Hehe. But yeah, one of the fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazmina View Post
    A long time ago when asked about this blizzard said it was not possible as recolors require a new texture for each color. A player wouldn't be able to dye their armor however they want, they'd only be able to chose between pre-made color scheme blizzard would have to create.

I.E. A Dye system would only be able switch the colors of http://www.wowhead.com/item=100957#modelviewer:1+0
    to http://www.wowhead.com/item=92848#modelviewer:1+0

Something Xmog does now.

Blizzard may have new technology to be able to dynamically change color on the gear without needing a new texture for it, but they haven't said anything recently that I know of.
    It can be done but they would have to create blank textures with the proper bump mapping and ability to change the hue, saturation, and color of specified areas for EVERY piece of gear in the game.

Deleted
    All I want is to make the T3 Dreadnought blue into green. Just that little feature is all I want in life.