Poll: Should WOW as a sub based game release more content than Free to Play games?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    They are developing all the time, they just aren't releasing the content till the expansion is ready. You make it sound like the devs are doing noting while we wait for WoD, which isn't true.
    But, they should be realeasing content for the time you are paying and they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
    There is continued work, with bug fixes and connected realms.
    Plus they are actively working on the expansion.
    If you want to go play something else, then go do that.
    That's not content., Bug fixes is not new content.
    I don't care about WoD, If Im paying now I should be receiving content ...welll... NOW...

Says the armchair expert.
    Go work for blizzard, go improve their development process.
    Then come back to us and tell us how you achieved this wonderful thing once you have actual knowledge and experience of working at blizzard.
    There's no need for that, other games have proven time after time than content can be develop and released faster.
    You just have to open your mind and try new games to see how you are being lied about development time by blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    F2P games need to keep people in the game so you buy more stuff. WoW just needs to bait the hook enough so we stick around and give them money until it drops.

Would I like more content for WoW? Yeah, I would.

Would I want them to develop more sloppily just to get it out faster? Hell no.
    They hook up people with vague promises, I don't understand why people have preorder WoD withouth even trying the beta, there's not even an alpha yet.

--------

F2P games have proven that content can be released faster, for example Gw2 release new content every 2 weeks of so, and Blizzard have been promising for years now that they would release new content and that expansions will come faster, all has being only lies.

With that said, I don't think Blizzard urgently needs to bring more content, but to make old content playable and fun again, they can do it with the technology they use to reduce your gearscore, imagine doing Ulduar again at its level, or if Mop is your first expansion to raid all the other raids you have missed at the level it was ment to be.
    OBEY THE PUG!

Not sure if I want GW2's content model. Ye, they release it fast but I will hardly call that high quality content. I want big content patches like SoO,ToT patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhamaren View Post
    But, they should be realeasing content for the time you are paying and they are not.
    Any work on MoP would take away development from WoD. What you are asking for is getting rid of expansions (or slowing them down drastically) for more frequent updates but with less content. That's just not a model WoW is working with.

That's something I don't really agree with. I like expansion and the massive changes and content they bring. I don't think I would like a change of that model.

Any work on MoP would take away development from WoD. What you are asking for is getting rid of expansions (or slowing them down drastically) for more frequent updates but with less content. That's just not a model WoW is working with.

That's something I don't really agree with. I like expansion and the massive changes and content they bring. I don't think I would like a change of that model.
    Pretty much every expansion have been 2 years long.
    THEY didnt seem to have a problem getting more content out earlier?... Maybe they should just hire some more developer staff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    THEY didnt seem to have a problem getting more content out earlier?... Maybe they should just hire some more developer staff.
    Read up on game development. Because they made their team bigger it has probably made their development rate slower as the new people would need time to settle down and learn everything they need to learn.

Deleted
    No idea if they replaced the 20 that went to work on Wildstar ?

Blizzard prefers to release content in large patches rather than smaller frequent ones.

Presumably because it gives the content, how do I say this, a smorgasbord kinda of feel. Basically with a larger amount of content at once you can diversify and the content will be more fill (Using a pseudo food analogy) As opposed to smaller frequent updates where you quickly consume the content and then wait for the next (Like eating snacks rather than a meal)

At least this seems to be the ideology, effectiveness is debatable. And the current content gap is a separate issue but related issue.

I think it would be a tremendous help if they released smaller content patches on top of the BIG releases. More special events like the holiday ones (with mounts and xmog armor as rewards), but not necessarily quite as large.

They have 16 job opening for WoW alone.

They bring content for a current expansion till the point where they decide the expansion is over, and then the entire team shifts to the new expansion. You have to keep in mind that WoD development starter shortly after MoP was released (around October if you go by some tweets by Blizz devs).

Expansion take a long time to make, more so than any other content because they usually make a lot of major changes which they simply don't do with content patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    I think it would be a tremendous help if they released smaller content patches on top of the BIG releases. More special events like the holiday ones (with mounts and xmog armor as rewards), but not necessarily quite as large.
    They used to be able to produce holiday content at the same time as producing patches and expansions. When was the last time any of the holiday content was properly updated? 5 years ago? More?

They keep promising faster content, and if anything it is getting slower. Not good enough for a company that is pulling in $100m a month in income from this game.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    They keep promising faster content, and if anything it is getting slower. Not good enough for a company that is pulling in $100m a month in income from this game.
    First 3 months this yeer WoW revenue was 201M $. Where do you get the 100m a month?

First 3 months this yeer WoW revenue was 201M $. Where do you get the 100m a month?
    Isn't that only the subscription income? I am pretty sure they put the cash shop and services income in another section. Even if I am wrong, it's still nearly $70m a month. Plenty of cash to pump more content out..
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever i see F2P i think P2W, Whenever its a free to play game, i steer clear.
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Not sure if I want GW2's content model. Ye, they release it fast but I will hardly call that high quality content. I want big content patches like SoO,ToT patches.
    I agree, gw2 model won't work with wow, but content patches should be released more often, 6months-1 year is ridiculous.

I didn't said that.

With 8m players paying a sub fee plus the retail price of the game they should be able to do both without problems.
    OBEY THE PUG!

As a subscription payer it comes with knowing you should be getting free updates to the game and free content added.

What blizzard is doing to it's paying subscribers is a gross injustice to it's gamers. wow gamers will go what... over a year with nothing to live? Screw that.

Hell, if it was any other MMO, it would have been swapped to F2P by now.

WOW's extra large player base is what saved it. No other game could have lost 4.5-5.5 million subs. Hell, no other game had that many to lose as a subscriber game.

As a sub payer you should be getting more content than F2P but it seems it will never happen.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely agree, we should be seeing a hell of alot more flowing content then we do, unless it is a new xpac or major patch, and these do not happen often enough with too much stale time in between.

And that is why I, like some other's have unsubbed until WOD hits. that is if by that time I want to play WoW, never know what the future holds.

I got my Heroic Mode Garrosh Kill last week, so I hit unsub just few days before payment was due, timing was great!

I am bored of Soo beyond belief and same routine kills.

I am happy with my raid progression and achievements, and not overally eager for WOD, as having a break now before a new xpac isn't so bad anyway. Long as the quality of the new xpac will be worth the wait.

Remember, it's okay to unsub if you are bored or feel like you do not want to continue with MOP, there is loads of other games out there anyway.

But yes, definitely more consistent flowing fresh content would be ideal!
    A woman should never invest in a relationship she wouldn't want her daughter in, nor allow any man to treat her in a way her son would get scoled for.

Blizzard needs to hire a team that directly focuses on small patch content. Patches that would focus on things like World bosses, events, timeless isle zones, ect..

The problem is they develop larger patches which take a long time to make and release those. They need to mix in smaller patches with more side things like Gw2 does as an MMO with no sub.

We should never go more than 2 months without new content in some form. That doesn't mean raids, but just content in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhamaren View Post
    With 8m players paying a sub fee plus the retail price of the game they should be able to do both without problems.
    How? Do you think that by doubling the paycheck of devs will suddenly make them produce content twice as fast? They have a certain amount of devs that can produce a certain amount of content. Throwing more money at them isn't going to speed up things.

And yes, before you ask, they are hiring people all the time.

Deleted
    Says the armchair expert.
    Go work for blizzard, go improve their development process.
    Then come back to us and tell us how you achieved this wonderful thing once you have actual knowledge and experience of working at blizzard.
    Your blind fanboying for blizzard is getting in the way of seeing things from a rational point of view. I work in the industry and know first hand that a company the size of Blizzard with its financial backing can do so much more to pump out continuous content and not even quiver a single bit at carrying on their development path for WoD at the same time.

You're delusional kidda.

I am convinced Blizzard must save more in lost subs than they would spend developing frequent content. When a good chunk of your player base is happy with nothing it must be cheaper in the long run to write off X amount of subs than spend money to try keep them.