Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I was progressing 10m garrosh initially I went with halo, but not for the healing, for the damage it did in the first transition. We didn't bait the desecrates, the boss was simply moved just before the whirls so I quickly realised star was the better choice, I'd actually use it when people got mc'ed just to help get them out a bit quicker and to proc ToF. Never saw any issue with it really. Just depends how you do the fight I guess.

Oh, the only time we ran together on the empowered whirl was the one in P3, the P2 empowered whirl we just all spread out, only reason being is the fact we killed the P2 adds while we kited the P3 ones, thats the reason why we didn't stack for the P2 ones :P
    Last edited by Hypasonic; 2014-05-31 at 02:31 PM.

When we were learning the fight with 2 healers, I ran with Halo to help with intermission DPS but we still couldnt reliably make it. So we decided to switch to solo heal, I used divine star for more output as I was not in the desecrate bait group. As we were mostly ranged, it worked out well. The amount of damage taken from whirls from 30+ yards is significantly lower so try to get them to do that. On our first kill I ran with 8k spirit, 4 piece, DPS cloak, prismatic and seigecrafter trinkets. If he does not have a weakaura for the Meta proc he should consider getting it so he can manage his mana better.

I ran with the fade, inner sanctum and penance glyphs. This reduced the damage taken from whirls a fair bit. Fade glyph's downside? is sometimes I forget to click it off so I can't get aggro on my minion.

Group set up
    Group 1 - Disc, Warlock, Bear, Brewmaster, Rogue
    Group 2 - Hunter, Mage, Mage, Shaman, Shadow priest

Phase 1
    I pretty much just atonement heal and use spirit shell for the first iron star. For the second ironstar we just run further away so we take around 650kish damage which I usually use DS and atonement to heal them up.

Intermission
    I help dps one of the groups at the start, once that is dead I move up to garrosh and start throwing up spirit shell. It is important to use spirit shell early here so that it comes up in time for the first whirl in p2 later on. From there on, the Ele shaman and shadow priest carries the healing while I atonement heal, divine star and shield low health members. The ele holds his ascendence in P1 so he can use it here with AG. After AG is down, he uses HTT. Then the spriest uses VE for the last 10 seconds.

p2
    I use divine star after raid gets out from MC to prevent some accidental? dots from killing them. Helps to get a bit of divine aegis up too. 10 seconds before first and third whirl I start to sprit shell. I usually go PW:S on myself, then 1 cast of SS with AA and IF on group 2. Then another cast of PW:S on warlock and 1 more cast of SS on group 2. I also run a bit further behind so I take less damage. Once whirl starts I use divine star and POH to top up the raid. The second whirl I just PW:S the raid and POH a bit. Sometimes I forget to POM. >.> I also use barrier for the 3rd whirl because sometimes the boss is a bit close and we take a fair amount of damage.

p3
    Pray I don't get MCed because our monk uses Ring of Peace which silences me after... If it happens I just divine star and start running away while shielding everyone I can reach. If I don't get MCed I can finish 2 casts of SS and shield people while I run out. Most of our defensive and healing cds are used here, AG + VE if I am not wrong. The DPS use their defensive cds and healthstones to survive. This is the only whirl we have to do.

p4
    Barrier and pray we dont screw up malice

Things I can probably do better:
    Sometimes I forget to use PS, or I fat fingered and casted it on myself.. you can consider using it on a tank during intermission so he can soak more annihilates for lots of DPS!
    Can barrier for second ironstar in p1 (I only thought of this on our 8th kill).
    POM for whirls!!

On a side note:
    Our tanks are pretty self sufficient so I didn't have to baby them much so thats something to think about..

Can't post warcraftlogs link but you can search under US-Dragonmaw (Operation Secret Squirrel). Ignore our latest raid, that was our last run and we had a new tank..
    Last edited by Kazenari; 2014-05-31 at 05:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    This is where it shows that you've never done heroic garrosh. Put it this way - The desecrates, Iron stars and normal whirlings are completely irrelevant. If you are wiping due to people dying on any of that, the issue isn't "switch talents to help combat the effects", but rather, "tell the healers to shape the fuck up". Halo is actually up for every normal whirl aswell, and if you bait desecrates, your disc can easily run out and get a super-tuned halo off on the entire raid during them.

That said, Empowered whirls is the one "hard" aspect of healing this entire encounter. If you want to optimise for something, you optimise for THAT. And Halo is just by far the strongest talent for dealing with the emp whirls as the entire raid is largely spread around the room, giving it optimal conditions. Not to mention it helps in the Jade Temple phase (300-400K hit on 9x adds if used when you enter, helping the dps requirement in there - the only hard DPS part of the encounter).
    If the priest gets aggro from minions because of halo, he's got to trust that dps/tank(s) will taunt the extra ones off of him. Nothing else to do. But consider what you'd be doing with Divine star during empowered whirl... Twiddling your thumbs? It'll hit two people, maybe three if lucky, MAX.
    I am not sure if it were your posts, or someone else's, that conviced me, but while I was using DS on both 10 and 25 normal, I was using only the Halo on 10 HC.

For people who are yet do kill it:

First shortly after pull to tickle the adds (what else to do with Lucidity at that time?), then while running to stack right after second desecrate (I was on soaking group - so it tickled the boss, the adds, and the raid), then the intermission on entry and later during annihilates, non-empowered WC (ran out before WC, cast Halo, swawn Desecrate, return), the obvious EWC (as you said, the only intensive moment), and then during Bombardments (just because I did not manage to think of a better time).

The Iron Stars are irrelevant, Spirit Shell the first, Barrier the second. (first set of adds was killed, second was thrown under the star, meaning they would eat the SS if I used it on the second)
    And P4 healing is not very intensive... I would have loved to Cascade during Bombardment just in case, and Divine Star all the other time just because, but I don't really remember doing anything else besides attonement, shield on tank, PoM on tank (basically only because I have it macroed on targetoftarget and keybound next to the attonement trio), and an occassional Flash Heal on the tank. Well, and the Iron Star preps.

EDIT: Yeah, the best holy priest used Cascade, and the best discipline priest used Divine Star. That interested me academically-wise. Practically, I don't care - I am not them. Mimicking 100 and 99.9 percentile players is stupid... it is like mimicking Wilson Kipsang's (world marathon record holder) marathon start - I could mimick him move by move for the first five kilometres or so, but after that while he would continue the pace, I would feint and probably go v-fib. Because I am not him.
    Last edited by mmoc5eb69ce1b0; 2014-06-01 at 08:36 PM.

The top holy priest used Cascade because of the renew-refresh mechanic (keeping renews rolling on the raid), and the top disc used Divine star because it *is* the highest throughput level 90 talent. The issue just is that when damage only comes once every 45 seconds, shielding and mitigating irrelevant mosquito-bite hits 2 out of 3 casts isn't really a good approach.