Thread: Pay-to-potty.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    1) The schools have designated bathroom times.
    2)The token policy is to control everyone coming and going when the designated bathroom times are over.

Children failed using the bathroom during the designated time, and used token to buy instead using them when she needed it.
    Because the need to go to the bathroom happens at a specific time and never any other time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I had the same teacher for 4th and 5th grade, the way she did it was:
    Every hour on the hour we got up walked to the bathroom, was able to stretch our legs, then returned to the classroom. Every single hour. Students who asked to go between classes were reprimanded if the teacher felt they were just bs'ing. It seemed to work incredibly well for us.
    I understand that for teachers having a few students always needing to go is a disruption, because then they teach 28 students a subject, get 1/3 1/2 through, then the other two come back nad are behind. I imagine the teachers intent was good with this, but I am not sure how they felt that it was a good idea to through with it. Also wonder how long the teacher has been doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Because the need to go to the bathroom happens at a specific time and never any other time.
    They put a price on it to insure kids only go when they actually need it rather than to dick around outside class. I've had that system in elementary school too and never had an issue with it.

If anything it teaches some basic finance. Like not blowing all your cash on cool shit without keeping a reserve for emergencies.
    Last edited by Shahad; 2014-05-28 at 04:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    They put a price on it to insure kids only go when they actually need it rather than to dick around outside class. I've had that system in elementary school too and never had an issue with it.

If anything it teaches some basic finance. Like not blowing all your cash on cool shit without keeping a reserve for emergencies.
    There's a better way to teach finances. This isn't it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just terrible. If you're in need of the bathroom that badly you're not even paying attention!

I just don't understand the outrage against this. These types of system were common where I lived and we've never had an issue with it. Only thing I could think of was maybe the bathroom pass too expensive, but the article doesn't say how much the 50 fake dollars are worth.

Maybe those kids should have stopped being lazy and earned their money like the rest of us.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    How is going to the washroom a privilege meant to be earned in elementary school? Designated bathroom times? They're children. That's ridiculous and downright cruel to deny them access to the washroom outside of "bathroom time".

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just a horrible idea. I had plenty of times that even using the designated times, I still needed to occasionally leave class. Paying because you have to pee is like paying someone to drink from the only water fountain in a walkable radius,

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    This is just a horrible idea. I had plenty of times that even using the designated times, I still needed to occasionally leave class. Paying because you have to pee is like paying someone to drink from the only water fountain in a walkable radius,
    Generally those systems are designed so that the bathroom privilege is fairly cheap. In this case it's unclear because they don't mention the value of 50 fake dollars, but when I was a kid you kinda had to try to lock yourself out of the bathroom pass by spending too much.

Because they are third graders. Or did you not read that part? The stupidity of some people in this thread amazes me. Sometimes you can't just "force" yourself to go take a piss at will, sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristaris View Post
    Because they are third graders. Or did you not read that part? The stupidity of some people in this thread amazes me. Sometimes you can't just "force" yourself to go take a piss at will, sadly.
    And sometimes your bladder's like

*At supposed desginated time* "nope don't gotta go"

*Designated time passes* "Damn it I need to go!"
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally those systems are designed so that the bathroom privilege is fairly cheap. In this case it's unclear because they don't mention the value of 50 fake dollars, but when I was a kid you kinda had to try to lock yourself out of the bathroom pass by spending too much.
    I don't see using the bathroom as a privilege to be paid for. Getting rid of waste is a basic human need, such as eating and drinking and as such, shouldnt be charged for (or in the cases of lunch, have an option if the student cant afford lunch).

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you really have to use the restroom, you just get up and go. You can face the consequences, if any, later. Hopefully, they'll be understanding of the situation...
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    BoA models are not very good for bathrooms. It would make much more money going with a cash-shop model. Let the kids go for free, but make them pay for the toilet paper. As an alternative, you could allow them to pay to jump the queue and be first in line. But in order to avoid claims of P2W, it is probably best to just allow kids the ability to buy cosmetic items like decorative toilet seats, or maybe posters for the back of the doors on the stalls.
    I appreciated this.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristaris View Post
    I was a third grader. We had that system in third grade. If you needed to pee outside of bathroom break, you gave the currency to the teacher and you went and that was it. We NEVER had an issue like this come up because we all had the presence of mind of not blowing everything on toys and other privileges. This system works and has worked, the only thing I can come up with that might be wrong is the pricing. If the fifty fake dollars in the story amount to something rather difficult to earn then that's a problem, we don't know from the article though. But the system itself, with proper pricing, works with no issue and was one of the most fun things about elementary school for many kids when we were growing up in my area.

It just annoys me that suddenly something that was a normal part of my childhood is considered child abuse.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see using the bathroom as a privilege to be paid for. Getting rid of waste is a basic human need, such as eating and drinking and as such, shouldnt be charged for (or in the cases of lunch, have an option if the student cant afford lunch).
    It's a way to incentivise not wasting the teacher's time by constantly having kids going to the bathroom. Most teachers in my area, if they didn't use this system, would limit the number of kids outside the class to one or two for the same effect. The pay to potty thing does mostly the same thing while also being a reward system for good behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a third grader. We had that system in third grade. If you needed to pee outside of bathroom break, you gave the currency to the teacher and you went and that was it. We NEVER had an issue like this come up because we all had the presence of mind of not blowing everything on toys and other privileges. This system works and has worked, the only thing I can come up with that might be wrong is the pricing. If the fifty fake dollars in the story amount to something rather difficult to earn then that's a problem, we don't know from the article though. But the system itself, with proper pricing, works with no issue and was one of the most fun things about elementary school for many kids when we were growing up in my area.

It just annoys me that suddenly something that was a normal part of my childhood is considered child abuse.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a way to incentivise not wasting the teacher's time by constantly having kids going to the bathroom. Most teachers in my area, if they didn't use this system, would limit the number of kids outside the class to one or two for the same effect. The pay to potty thing does mostly the same thing while also being a reward system for good behavior.
    The way we did it is we had 2 hall passes, and if you weren't back in 5 min without a REALLY good reason, you were punished with no recess or some other kind of punishment. You can make incentives without monetizing it.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A big HELL THE FUCK NO! Like seriously, if you have to piss, ask the damn teacher and if they say no than fuck them and walk the hell out. This was one of my pet-peeve's in high school. Majority of the teachers were dicks and wouldn't let students go to the rest room. One day i was like fuck it and walked out to go use it because i was told no by my teacher. Ended up being sent to the dean's office but when my parents heard about what happened, they were pissed as well. One reason why i left high school and went to an alternative. It was basically the same thing, however you could only miss 3 days or you were dropped from the class but the teachers sure as hell treated you like an adult.

Point is, if you have to go, ask first, and if they say no then get the hell up and go

The way we did it is we had 2 hall passes, and if you weren't back in 5 min without a REALLY good reason, you were punished with no recess or some other kind of punishment. You can make incentives without monetizing it.
    It's functionally the same thing except in reverse. Instead of being punished for bad behavior you get rewarded for good behavior. Point is that there is nothing wrong with using a currency-based system unless the prices are bad. Several classes in every year at my elementary school had this system and no one complained so either this little girl acted foolishly and she learned a valuable lesson in finance or the prices were set too high.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's functionally the same thing except in reverse. Instead of being punished for bad behavior you get rewarded for good behavior. Point is that there is nothing wrong with using a currency-based system unless the prices are bad. Several classes in every year at my elementary school had this system and no one complained so either this little girl acted foolishly and she learned a valuable lesson in finance or the prices were set too high.
    Well, without the monetization aspect. That's something I am fundamentally against, because basic necessities (food, bathroom usage, water) should always have a free option in schools because not all children think that far ahead, nor can every family afford even cheap prices.