Here's a simpler version of my other thread involving cousins

Yesterday, I posted a thread asking if I am cousins with my classmate. I found it very difficult to cognitively compare Auntie Mary (the aunt I am referring to), my mom, my classmate, and his father that it was difficult for many people on this forum to decide what I was talking about. Some people took a shitty, obviously wrong guess that we ar cousins by marriage when I explaind several times that we ar NOT cousins by marriage. My Auntie Mary isn't even married as far as I'm concerned.

So, I decided to duplicate the thread, but make it simpler after I received additional information from my classmate. I promise to everyone that this is the last time i post this type of thread. Here we go:

Auntie Mary (the aunt I am talking about) is my mom's sister on her fathers side and the sister of my classmate's father side. Today, I found out that Auntie Mary's father is NOT my classmate's grandfather, causing him to believe that we are not technically cousins.

Yesterday, I tried googling my situation and could not find anything confirming whether or not we are cousins. He says we are not cousins, but I think we may be half-cousins. I believe it is genetically impossible to have the same aunt by someone (who you are not even related to) and not be cousins. That makes no sense.

So for the last and final time: does having the same aunt (but probably not the same grandfather) make you cousins in anyway? In other words, is my mom's half-sister's nephew technically my cousins despite the fact we might not share the same grandfather? thanks.

i am very sorry if this violates forum rules.

I believe half or second cousins may be right.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
    Yesterday, I posted a thread asking if I am cousins with my classmate. I found it very difficult to cognitively compare Auntie Mary (the aunt I am referring to), my mom, my classmate, and his father that it was difficult for many people on this forum to decide what I was talking about. Some people took a shitty, obviously wrong guess that we ar cousins by marriage when I explaind several times that we ar NOT cousins by marriage. My Auntie Mary isn't even married as far as I'm concerned.

So, I decided to duplicate the thread, but make it simpler after I received additional information from my classmate. I promise to everyone that this is the last time i post this type of thread. Here we go:

Auntie Mary (the aunt I am talking about) is my mom's sister on her fathers side and the sister of my classmate's father side. Today, I found out that Auntie Mary's father is NOT my classmate's grandfather, causing him to believe that we are not technically cousins.

Yesterday, I tried googling my situation and could not find anything confirming whether or not we are cousins. He says we are not cousins, but I think we may be half-cousins. I believe it is genetically impossible to have the same aunt by someone (who you are not even related to) and not be cousins. That makes no sense.

So for the last and final time: does having the same aunt (but probably not the same grandfather) make you cousins in anyway? In other words, is my mom's half-sister's nephew technically my cousins despite the fact we might not share the same grandfather? thanks.

i am very sorry if this violates forum rules.

When people are saying it's by marriage they are talking about your aunts parents not your aunt.

Ah, now you let us know the main clue that we needed
    " In other words, is my mom's half-sister's nephew technically my cousins despite the fact we might not share the same grandfather? thanks."
    If you said that earlier we can tell you that you aren't blood related to this classmate
    I believe to be consider "half"-related there needs to be some blood relationship

your grandfather - - - your grandmother (mary's mom)- - - classmate's grandfather (mary's dad) - - - classmate's grandmother

so you two only share the same Aunt
    Last edited by Limmy; 2014-05-28 at 09:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had to try to draw up a tree on a piece of scrap paper to try to figure that out still, maybe that would help if you haven't tried doing that yet.

So from what it sounds like to me...

Your Mom and Aunt Mary share a father?
    Your classmate's father is the brother of Aunt Mary so they share a parent?
    Your grandfather is not your classmate's grandfather so maybe your classmate's father and Aunt Mary share a mother?

If that is correct then it looks like you are probably not blood cousins since your classmate's father does not share any parent with your mom, however they share a half sibling between them? It sounds to me this is most similar to a step-sibling situation, where it would be as if your mom and your classmate's father are step-siblings then their parents had a child together, giving them both a half sister.

So if that is accurate (or maybe I'm wrong on the set up) you may be something more like step-cousins rather than blood cousins.

Either way still kind of a cool little connection there to find a classmate that shares a relative.

Edit: At the risk of putting in more effort than most would do with a stranger's puzzle, because I like genealogy puzzles, I made a visual from what I thought I was able to piece together.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-05-28 at 11:02 PM.

Being cousins isn't really a legal status or something, and the older you get the more you will realize that family has a lot more to do then just having a high share percentile of DNA.... so my 2 cents is, who cares?

Also, it sounds like you had slutty grand parents, j/k.

sorry to nitpick but what does it mean to "cognitively compare" something?