Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Indie games got over hyped and too popular for what they were, low budget games with no lasting gameplay.

The fad is clearly over and they will probably go back to where they were before the big boom, obscure and largely ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    *snip* over hyped and too popular for what they were, *snip* games with no lasting gameplay.
    That's actually a more accurate description of current AAA game design philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudah View Post
    It's not entirely indie games that are clogging up the releases but the old shovelware that is being added to Steam. Sure, there have been a lot of indies, but you can't tell me Strategy First dumping their entire game catalog which spans back all the way to the early 90's is the same thing as 10-15 indies releasing every week, because it's not. Now, I have no problem with more games being added to Steam, but the storefront isn't designed for what's happening right now, and that's a major source of discontent among users.
    "According to an Analysis from Gamasutra, the influx of new releases is thanks in part to Steam Greenlight, which has been adding as much as 75 games to Steam at a time recently."
    From the article I linked. It is mostly the indie games that caused this. I myself have no issues with it, but it would be silly to say that it's extremely hard to get games through the greenlight, when it seems like as long as you put the effort in you'd get it through.

Not sure about Saints Row IV, but unless a developer has a publisher, every game must go through Greenlight.
    Pretty sure AAA titles have publishers, and it seems like THQ published Saint's Row.

Who are you to tell someone else how to spend their money? The developers are honest, they're not trying to swindle anyone here, and yet people are buying their game. I see nothing wrong with that. I have nephews that love the hell out of Goat Simulator because it's fun for them. Why can't people have fun playing something that you personally don't find appealing?
    I think you're mistaken here, I'm not telling anyone where to spend their money, I'm merely point out word for word exactly what they said, in which they said you should probably spend your money elsewhere. Take that problem up with them, not me.

The fact that indie games are filling so many of these awkward niches is great. When in the history of gaming have we had so many different types of games out there that appeal to so many different tastes? Granted, there are a lot of crap devs peddling half assed games expecting to get a piece of the pie, but smart gamers know to do their research. I mean, do people really buy AAA titles just by looking at the box art? Why would you assume indie fans would do the same?
    I didn't assume anything, I'm unsure of why you're directing this all towards me anyway. Indie games are great, but the issue is coming out of all the shovelware indie games that just keep coming out in mass amounts, it's not gonna be good overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...have you even played any indie games? Thomas Was Alone? Minecraft? To the Moon? Bastion? Amnesia? Guacamelee? Limbo?
    No Cave Story listed QQ

But yes, Guacamelee is an amazing game.
    Limbo the perfect example of good indie games that not everyone agrees with. I gave up on it, never liked it personally, but my friend loves it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh the so called success of the indie genre was all smoke and mirrors to begin with.

Digital distribution will keep the games visible, the press will continue their anti corporation pro indie idiocy at awards time, and that is not going to change. Indie will continue on just the same.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    From the article I linked. It is mostly the indie games that caused this. I myself have no issues with it, but it would be silly to say that it's extremely hard to get games through the greenlight, when it seems like as long as you put the effort in you'd get it through.
    From what I hear, it has been easier to get games through Greenlight now, but listing your game by no means guarantees you'll get greenlit. If a dev doesn't have somewhat of a following or promotes their game in some way, or unless your Greenlight videos/demos really wows voters, your game could be sitting there indefinitely.

Pretty sure AAA titles have publishers, and it seems like THQ published Saint's Row.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what that guy was talking about with Saint's Row. Maybe he's confusing it with another game.

I think you're mistaken here, I'm not telling anyone where to spend their money, I'm merely point out word for word exactly what they said, in which they said you should probably spend your money elsewhere. Take that problem up with them, not me.
    I'm sure that's partially tongue and cheek humor, the same humor that those who enjoy the game would appreciate. It obviously worked in getting enough people to buy it.

I didn't assume anything, I'm unsure of why you're directing this all towards me anyway. Indie games are great, but the issue is coming out of all the shovelware indie games that just keep coming out in mass amounts, it's not gonna be good overall.
    Eventually the shovelware is going to die out because they won't be able to sell their games outside of bundles (which is already starting to happen). The devs who are passionate about their games will survive whatever fallout may or may not result from the market shrinking.

No Cave Story listed QQ
    One of the many games in my backlog. <sigh>
    Last edited by Chudah; 2014-05-30 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudah View Post
    From what I hear, it has been easier to get games through Greenlight now, but listing your game by no means guarantees you'll get greenlit. If a dev doesn't have somewhat of a following or promotes their game in some way, or unless your Greenlight videos/demos really wows voters, your game could be sitting there indefinitely.
    And it also costs $100 just to flag your account to be able to put games on Greenlight. Not a small amount to sneeze at really.

Yeah, I'm not sure what that guy was talking about with Saint's Row. Maybe he's confusing it with another game.
    Unsure too.

I'm sure that's partially tongue and cheek humor, the same humor that those who enjoy the game would appreciate. It obviously worked in getting enough people to buy it.
    Most likely, humor based on honesty is usually the best in my opinion. The game is definitely funny, don't get me wrong, but I just don't find it worth the money to play for an hour or two personally.
    Bear Simulator on the other hand...

Eventually the shovelware is going to die out because they won't be able to sell their games outside of bundles (which is already starting to happen). The devs who are passionate about their games will survive whatever fallout may or may not result from the market shrinking.
    Agreed, that's basically what this thread is about. No one's gonna go "I'm gonna make an indie game to cash in on an easy market" now.

One of the many games in my backlog. <sigh>
    PLAY ITTTTTTT.