Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I got 3/4 though the game before my save file got corrupt so what part had cannibals in it???

Like I said explain shit to the kids and it isn't a big deal. 11 year old play GTA isn't a big deal when daytime TV has worse and they learn worse in school. 11 year olds are normally in middle school learning about sex and violence in history. From middle school onward life changes a lot for kids and they begin to learn a LOT about life. If parents sit down and explain shit to there kids then it won't come as a big shock to them.

Its also been proven kids who play violent video games can cope with deaths/violence in RL easyer then a kid who has been shelterd all there life.

I can keep going on but maybe you get my point.
    http://gta.wikia.com/Altruist_Cult

Naked men kidnap young women and it is implied they then rape them, in reality they eat them. Call me old fashioned but I would rather 11 year olds remain ignorant of violent rape.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    Literally beyond easy to say "he should have just" after an accident / tragedy
    If the "video games r teh devil" crowd can pull GTA as the cause of a murder out of their ass and get credit for it then why shouldn't the other side be able to as well?
    Because it's a pointless discussion about the false dichotomy "do video games turn you into a crazed murderer or a brave hero". What do we have to gain from playing by their rules, instead of pointing out that neither has to be true? Nothing, that's pretty much what.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got 3/4 though the game before my save file got corrupt so what part had cannibals in it???

Like I said explain shit to the kids and it isn't a big deal. 11 year old play GTA isn't a big deal when daytime TV has worse and they learn worse in school. 11 year olds are normally in middle school learning about sex and violence in history. From middle school onward life changes a lot for kids and they begin to learn a LOT about life. If parents sit down and explain shit to there kids then it won't come as a big shock to them.

Its also been proven kids who play violent video games can cope with deaths/violence in RL easyer then a kid who has been shelterd all there life.

I can keep going on but maybe you get my point.

Skyrim also have cannibalism in it. Regardless, a 11 year old should not be playing any game tagged with "mature" or 18+.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post

Naked men kidnap young women and it is implied they then rape them, in reality they eat them. Call me old fashioned but I would rather 11 year olds remain ignorant of violent rape.
    But for how many years tho. Two or 3 at the most.

Don't get me wrong I get your point of view and part of me dose agree. The other part of me knows this is all they are going to learn in Middle School or from the local News or some other means. So if your child is going to get this from a 3rd party why not sit down and talk to them and get it out of the way.

11 years old is a good age to sit down with your child and talk to them about life. I would say younger then 10 I 100% agree but above 10 then you mite has well sit down and have the talk with them. They are going to learn about it anyway at lease if it comes from the parent the info they give is fact and not some made up shit there friends told them.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    What's the problem with that?
    You think its okay to play 18 year old games as an 11 year old but at the same time u dont think its ok to teach them about currency for potty.
    Ok.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    You think its okay to play 18 year old games as an 11 year old but at the same time u dont think its ok to teach them about currency for potty.
    Ok.
    "Currency for potty". Nobody is forced to not use the toilet in life if they really have to. Except by such people.

Quote Originally Posted by Total Lockdown View Post
    Because it desensitizes a young child and even if he's told it's wrong, it doesn't feel like such a terrible thing for him later on.

And adult would know such deeds are terrible but someone who grows up with it, wouldn't think it's so bad and would be more likely to commit violent acts irl.
    Does it now? I saw people being killed on TV at that age. I don't see how a game is any different, in the game it doesn't actually happen while on the TV it most certainly did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post

Skyrim also have cannibalism in it. Regardless, a 11 year old should not be playing any game tagged with "mature" or 18+.
    If a parent sits down and explains to them what all is in the game and what it means and why. Tell me what is wrong with them playing COD/GTA/Gears of War ect....

Once again this has nothing to do with the content that is in said game but how said violence is delivered to the child. Its on local news, its on basic tv stations and even there cartoons are violent and people getting hit by cars. The difference is GTA has Blood/Nude and bad words. If X character on the saturday morning cartoon gets blown up there is no blood that is the difference.

Look at Tom & Jerry or anything else. You can't shelter kids all there life and there is a point in there life where the parent needs to take charge and teach them these things. 11 is a good age to do it. They can soak it in and take all the info and remember it. What is the point in waiting until they are 13 or 15 years old. By that time they already learned it from a 3rd party sorce and good chance the info they got is wrong.

I can pull you up a list of current cartoons that is also violent the difference in them and GTA is no Blood/Drugs/Bad Words.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    But for how many years tho. Two or 3 at the most.

Don't get me wrong I get your point of view and part of me dose agree. The other part of me knows this is all they are going to learn in Middle School or from the local News or some other means. So if your child is going to get this from a 3rd party why not sit down and talk to them and get it out of the way.

11 years old is a good age to sit down with your child and talk to them about life. I would say younger then 10 I 100% agree but above 10 then you mite has well sit down and have the talk with them. They are going to learn about it anyway at lease if it comes from the parent the info they give is fact and not some made up shit there friends told them.
    I agree that kids should be told the facts of life as soon as possible though, but the advanced stuff (rape and murder) should be left for later.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I agree that kids should be told the facts of life as soon as possible though, but the advanced stuff (rape and murder) should be left for later.
    Right but once again around 11 years old they are going to find these things out anyway from other 3rd party sorce's.

So why not nip it in the bud from the get go. I'm not saying sit down and feed them everything all at once but slowy get them into it. Games is a good way to do this. Get a M rated game lets say COD and explain the violence in that first then more on to something else a little later.

Later on if you feel they are going fine with that info more into something else like GTA.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is why I think kids should actually have an ethics class in elementary school - it's when most kids are forming their ethical compasses that they retain for the rest of their lives more or less.

I'm not saying we should touch on cannibalism and rape - but if you talk to a kid about the concepts of agency and the harm principle - you give them the ethical tools to deal with a whole slew of circumstances ranging from why bullying is wrong, to why rape and cannibalism are wrong.

That way, if they encounter a situation with nuanced ethics, they can reason for themselves what is best in the situation even at a young age - whether that means peacefully breaking up a fight, or in the case of violent movies, books, or video games - recognizing that one person running around town shotgunning cops and bystanders violates the harm principle.

Potentially however, I actually get the argument that the distinction between the maturity of an 11 year old versus an 18 year old can overlap - in the future we will need a way to better distinguish between what specific kids are ready for based on the child rather than some arbitrary average of maturity statistics (or however they come up with the 16 vs 18 vs 21 numbers).

We don't have a child-specific solution yet, but I think the easiest solution - since we really cannot control what kids will come into contact with in the digital age - should be to give them to ethical tools to understand what they see as early as possible.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-05-29 at 05:35 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    This is why I think kids should actually have an ethics class in elementary school - it's when most kids are forming their ethical compasses that they retain for the rest of their lives more or less.

I'm not saying we should touch on cannibalism and rape - but if you talk to a kid about the concepts of agency and the harm principle - you give them the ethical tools to deal with a whole slew of circumstances ranging from why bullying is wrong, to why rape and cannibalism are wrong. That way, if they encounter a situation with nuanced ethics, they can reason for themselves what is best in the situation even at a young age - whether that means peacefully breaking up a fight, or in the case of violent movies, books, or video games - recognizing that one person running around town shotgunning cops and bystanders violates the harm principle.
    I 100% agree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Does it now? I saw people being killed on TV at that age. I don't see how a game is any different, in the game it doesn't actually happen while on the TV it most certainly did happen.
    It's different when you're the one doing it and doing it for hours everyday, rather than seeing on TV for 2 minutes every 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    So he steered the car until it eventually crashed..he should have just popped it into neutral and steered the car till it stopped. But at least they're both still alive, and nobody else was killed/injured.
    If it's a stick shift, then he probably couldn't reach the clutch. Which would be expected since the accelerator was being pressed. Sure it might be possible, although damaging to the transmission. But from watching other people drive or doing it in a game, he'd have learned it's either clutch or let off on the gas (if at the right speeds). If GTA even has stick shifts and clutches, I haven't played it since 1 or 2. From what I do know, an 11 year old shouldn't be playing it.

And no, there aren't 11 year olds more mature than 18 year olds. An 11 year old might be more sophisticated than many 18 year olds, but life experience matters, and neurological development matters even more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Lockdown View Post
    It's different when you're the one doing it and doing it for hours everyday, rather than seeing on TV for 2 minutes every 2 days.
    I could tell reality from fiction when I was 11. I knew it was just a game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    And no, there aren't 11 year olds more mature than 18 year olds. An 11 year old might be more sophisticated than many 18 year olds, but life experience matters, and neurological development matters even more.
    If you want to phrase it that way, I think you need to define sophistication and define maturity - both in your view - and within the context of childhood development.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    11 years old, I'm sure by then I'd have worked out what the steering wheel of a car did >.>

If he'd pulled the handbrake or stomped on the foot brake maybe, but he grabbed the wheel that steers it and made it not hit something bad (until it did hit something bad).

11 year old shouldn't be playing a game rated for 18s either, and given GTA's "driving", all he learned was press shoulder button and wiggle stick.

Sure, he saved their lives, but to attribute that to a video game makes little sense at all.

After that he picked up a prostitute, fucked her to instantly cure his fractured skull, then ran her over and recovered his money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    After that he picked up a prostitute, fucked her to instantly cure his fractured skull, then ran her over and recovered his money.
    I want to believe this truly happened!

10+ Year Old Account
    Article didn't really explain what part it was he learned from the game..? I'm not entirely sure why the game is being given credit, the function of driving isn't really that complicated and an 11-year-old is old enough to at least have picked up on how adults make the car go, stop, and turn, and...the car stopped when it crashed into things, so.. I dunno.

If the game teaches him how to keep control in the middle of January when the car is on a road that's coated in ice, then we can talk. lol

(Cringe at the idea of a kid that young playing that game though... No comment, just cringe.)
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-05-30 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by retw View Post
    Neither should be blamed on games. Solving stupid with stupid is stupid.

I'm sorry but if anything, games teach the opposite of confidence with steering a car in real life.

The games even have warnings, telling the customers: DON'T DRIVE LIKE IN-GAME IN REALITY. DON'T GET ANY IDEAS FROM THIS GAME AND USE THEM IN REALITY.
    I agree. GTA is probably the worst driving game on the planet, in terms of actual driving skills. I'd venture he learned more from watching people drive and maybe even from Gran Turismo, Forza or Need for Speed, but not GTA.

I also feel you are right about games, neither should get credit or blame. But I do feel there is a cavaet in games that helps in terms of being able to solve problems. If I remember right, there was a study done that showed that games like WoW and other MMO's help people's ability to solve problems because it helped them get over the fear of failure and to be quick to try new things and new strategies, and add that it also helped people understand how to function in a team environment.

Granted by the same token, things like sports can do the same thing in a different way, but then not all people are into sports.