Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why can't people play more than one MMO at a time?

I see this all the time when new games release -- attacks, slander, and "I'm leaving <fill in the blank> for <fill in the blank>." Why? Why can't you play more than one? Why can't you enjoy multiple games?

Personally, I play WoW, LotRO, GW2 and PS2 (which I guess is more of a shooter than an MMO). This isn't even counting the SMITE, Diablo, Hearthstone, and single-player games in my library.

WoW is my raiding, hang-out-with-friends, heavily invested in the lore game.
    LotRO is my RP, play music, and explore Middle-earth game.
    GW2 is my fast paced, jumping puzzle, change-of-pace game.
    PS2 is my shoot people in the face with a rocket launcher game.

I find that by having a nice spread of various titles, there is no burnout or boredom. If I don't feel like playing something for a few days, I don't play it. There are too many fantastic titles on the market to limit yourself to just one.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think this forum is ready to hear the answer of this question.

Deleted
    Let me make it really, really simple: lack of spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    lack of spare time.
    Seems pretty obvious.

My issue is I only have one computer and it's not strong enough to run more than one at a time
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Seems pretty obvious.
    Well he asked, and I answered

Deleted
    What do you think? Its a huge ass time-sink to even play one MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    I dont think this forum is ready to hear the answer of this question.
    LOL @ your signature.
    Last edited by mmocca2937fb4f; 2014-05-30 at 05:28 PM.

I can only game for a few hours a day, if that. Tues + Wed are raiding nights, Friday nights are PS2 with the buddies night, Sunday is usually RP in LotRO night.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

I think the answer to this question is similar to answering the question 'why most people have only 1 job'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    I can only game for a few hours a day, if that. Tues + Wed are raiding nights, Friday nights are PS2 with the buddies night, Sunday is usually RP in LotRO night.
    A lot of people want to get to the good content (raiding, dungeons etc.) and that is often in MMOs quite a long road of grinding out rep and getting good enough gear to even enter.
    A few hours a day, is also something that a lot of people don't have. They have the evenings in the weekend and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by bestpike View Post
    I think the answer to this question is similar to answering the question 'why most people have only 1 job'.
    When a video game becomes a job, you may need to reevaluate your hobby. I play them for fun, not to sink every second of my life into. /shrug

An MMO is a commitment for a lot of people, such that they don't want to pour small amounts of time in to several MMOs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Time obviously.

If time is not an issue, people still usually don't tend to read 10 different books at the same time either. One game or one book at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

It's not playing multiple MMOs at the same time. It is playing multiple subscription MMOs at the same time. In general nobody wants to pay $15 a month to play a game they already paid for and to get randomized updates they don't know if they will like or not but to do that x2 or x3? No.

That's why I have like 5 F2P/B2P MMOs on my computer. I am never left bored or unsatisfied.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Major reason is multiple monthly fees can add up. One is just fine, but when you start adding two or three, then you have something.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    I see this all the time when new games release -- attacks, slander, and "I'm leaving <fill in the blank> for <fill in the blank>." Why? Why can't you play more than one? Why can't you enjoy multiple games?

Personally, I play WoW, LotRO, GW2 and PS2 (which I guess is more of a shooter than an MMO). This isn't even counting the SMITE, Diablo, Hearthstone, and single-player games in my library.

WoW is my raiding, hang-out-with-friends, heavily invested in the lore game.
    LotRO is my RP, play music, and explore Middle-earth game.
    GW2 is my fast paced, jumping puzzle, change-of-pace game.
    PS2 is my shoot people in the face with a rocket launcher game.

I find that by having a nice spread of various titles, there is no burnout or boredom. If I don't feel like playing something for a few days, I don't play it. There are too many fantastic titles on the market to limit yourself to just one.
    for the average person I think the answer is obvious....MMO's require much more time invested than the average game, and can sometimes have monthly fees. So it is only feasible for someone with a regular work and social schedule to play one at a time.

Eh, might also be poor time management and prioritization.

I watch people stand in cities, chatting with guildies, trolling trade chat, scrolling through the auction house for HOURS at a time.

Last night, I was playing warframe until about 5 minutes before raid time. If you don't waste your time in MMOs, they aren't so demanding.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Thessik-Irontail View Post
    Major reason is multiple monthly fees can add up. One is just fine, but when you start adding two or three, then you have something.
    True, I can see this being an issue. Since video games are my hobby, I have a little bit of money set aside each month for them. The wife and I don't go to the movies much (Netflix ftw!) and save money by not having cable, so I don't mind paying a sub or two.

Thankfully there are a *ton* of good F2P games out there.

Deleted
    I honestly think many people do play more than one MMO at a time and that figure is always increasing.

Having multiple subscriptions though - if you're paying $15 a month for something your instinct is often to try and get value for money, which is to put a lot of hours into it. Some people do not have the time, nor the finances, to feel like they can get good value entertainment from multiple subscription MMOs.

Many MMOs are investment heavy - ie. time heavy - especially those with a raid-style endgame, where you need to farm gear to raid, to complete content, and then a patch comes, and you need to farm the next tier, for content.. and then a patch comes.. etc. etc. so you need to "keep up" with the game. That mostly applies to serious raiders/hardcore players who can't afford to invest their time into two games because they want to be "the best" at one.

Personally I'm happy being a dirty casual and I play a lot of MMOs. In the last 2 months I think I've actively played 5 MMOs but I haven't invested the time into any of them to be "competitive".

Time, desire and money being the biggest 3 reasons I would imagine. The people with the money probably don't have the time. The ones with the time often won't have the money. Many of us just don't want to play multiple games that are so huge.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."