Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Would this be a good gaming build?

Hey guys, I'm building a computer to get back into MMO's (mainly WoW) .. Could you tell me if this would be a good build? For mainly raiding and some PvP

The Build -
    Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 OC 1GB
    Kingston ValueRAM KVR16N11S8K2/8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
    Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
    Thermaltake Litepower 600W
    Intel Core i5 4460
    Samsung 840 EVO Series 120gb SSD

And also will I be able to run dual monitors?

Cheers peeps

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should with an I 3 if you going to just play wow and get a higher end video card because you want to run two monitors

Here ya go.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.00 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Mwave)
    Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $581.36
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-30 22:18 EDT-0400)

If you don't need the tower, feel free to remove it. That PSU is a steal at the moment with the $30 rebate, so you might wanna get that ASAP at least. GPU is a good deal too($20 off + $30 rebate), so might wanna grab that as well before the price goes back up/rebate expires. Plus, 2 free games are always good!

Also, wrong forum! Someone(Ahem, Chazus) will end up moving it though.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-05-31 at 02:24 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

7+ Year Old Account
    Are these American Prices? I'll have to do a search for the Aussie prices!
    Also are the i3s good? And will that GPU support dual monitors?

Cheers for that, really appreciate it

Fug, yes they are american prices. Gimme a sec to go through AU stuff.

Here ya go Version 2.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($135.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.00 @ CPL Online)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($95.00 @ CPL Online)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($229.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.00 @ CPL Online)
    Total: $782.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-31 13:36 EST+1000)

And I though memory prices over here were absurd :\

Yes, the i3's are plenty good for a WoW build and that GPU will do great in WoW and can support 2 screen pretty easily.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-05-31 at 03:36 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

7+ Year Old Account
    Woo Awesome!
    With the motherboard, Can a micro fit into any tower case ?

I'm in America atm, and 'everything' is a lot cheaper here ahaha

Yes, a MicroATX mobo will fit in most cases as all cases are MicroATX/ATX. MiniITX is another story. What case do you currently have? If you don't know, can you get a picture or tell us how big it is?

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh cool!
    I currently don't have a case, but I was thinking of getting the Bitfenix Shinobi case. Or something with a side window (Might make a green razer build)

Razer is green/black correct? Maybe something like this? Again, depending on if your buying while your in the US or not.

edit : found some more

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/apevia-case-xdreamer4gn
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/diypc-case-solarm1g
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/apevia-case-xsniper2gn

You could also get a purely-black case(example) and throw Case Fans with Green LEDs in it.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-05-31 at 03:05 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Correct! Oh that is very nice!
    Well I won't be taking anything back with because I'm only here for business

There is a shinobi with a window! I might get that because I like how the usb ports are on the top
    Last edited by immimemili; 2014-05-31 at 03:10 AM.

Case Fans > http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/bitf...bffblf12025grp

Cases > http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/ther...ase-vn900a1w2n + http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/cool...ase-rc431pkwn2 + http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/bitf...-shinobiwindow <your original choice

Though if you are going to be here for at least a week or two more, you might want to consider getting some of the smaller(and more expensive) stuff like the Memory and maybe the GPU/PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would do well, but get a cpu you can overclock. Probably some better price/performance parts out there though. Even if you went with that build, it would definitely be able to run it on high during raids with probably 40+fps.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm really feeling the shinobi case with the LEDs fans!

Better to buy the case fans of ebay?

And thanks again, you've been an awesome help !!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by immimemili View Post
    Are these American Prices? I'll have to do a search for the Aussie prices!
    Also are the i3s good? And will that GPU support dual monitors?

Cheers for that, really appreciate it
    If you only play WoW, and see yourself only playing wow for the next 3+ years, an i3 is fine, but if you plan on playing any newer games, get an i5 4670k. That gpu would run any game, but you would probably have to put some newer games on low settings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Would do well, but get a cpu you can overclock. Probably some better price/performance parts out there though. Even if you went with that build, it would definitely be able to run it on high during raids with probably 40+fps.
    Can I over clock Intel Core i3-4150

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by immimemili View Post
    Can I over clock Intel Core i3-4150
    No. if you buy intel, only k models are overclock-able. I'm 99% sure on that. Wait for someone to confirm though.

- - - Updated - - -

You could go with amd and overclock a cheaper one, but amd does considerably worse in wow.

The i3-4150 is hyperthreaded though, so it pretty much acts like a quad-core. And WoW's performance kinda flatlines once you get to 2 cores, with marginal increases after that compared to the jump from a single-core(pretty sure the game engine mostly using 2 cores is why).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    The i3-4150 is hyperthreaded though, so it pretty much acts like a quad-core. And WoW's performance kinda flatlines once you get to 2 cores, with marginal increases after that compared to the jump from a single-core(pretty sure the game engine mostly using 2 cores is why).
    Yes, the i3 and i5 would see almost similar performance with the i5 slightly better. That is until you overclock the i5. Then improves a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yes, the i3 and i5 would see almost similar performance with the i5 slightly better. That is until you overclock the i5. Then improves a lot.
    True, but that also requires a 4670k that is 3 times the price of the 4150 + a new motherboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    True, but that also requires a 4670k that is 3 times the price of the 4150 + a new motherboard.
    I agree, that an i3 is sensible if you only want to play wow, and games that are a few years old, but he likely wont even be able to play newer games like watchdogs with an i3. Im sure it would run, but... Up to him to decide. The build tielknight is good in any case.