Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Blizzard's official line is that they aren't going to bother creating buffs or otherwise allowing tracking of icicles because they're just automatic damage and there really isn't a way to optimise firing them.

    I think we're hitting a kind of culture clash.
    but they work so much better as on demand damage >.>
    h8 bliz rn

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    but they work so much better as on demand damage >.>
    h8 bliz rn
    I think their intent is tokeep it from being 'too' bursty though, as I think they wanted to make it better for pve and less bursty in pvp when replacing the ild mastery.
    "If you have to believe it on faith, you have no reason to believe it at all.” Aron Ra

  3. #43

  4. #44
    it is useless like imp counter for demo lock i know when i used last Ice Lance so i know how many Icicles i have.... try to think when dpsing - frost is easy so you have time for it

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetesh View Post
    it is useless like imp counter for demo lock i know when i used last Ice Lance so i know how many Icicles i have.... try to think when dpsing - frost is easy so you have time for it
    You're right Frost is easy, counting non crit fireballs and bitching about RNG is what it takes to make a spec hard.

  6. #46
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    its different in pvp.
    I was talking about PvP. I play mage PvP myself and have no trouble knowing when I have big icicles or not.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I was talking about PvP. I play mage PvP myself and have no trouble knowing when I have big icicles or not.
    "big" icicles is too vague for me lol. i want a numerical value

  8. #48
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    "big" icicles is too vague for me lol. i want a numerical value
    Why would you need to know the exact damage your icicles are going to be doing? It's not like you will win a fight just because your icicles are going to be doing 167,345 damage instead of a predicted 150k. Besides, you shouldn't hold onto your icicles like that anyways in PvP.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    "big" icicles is too vague for me lol. i want a numerical value
    Here is again your problem: An addon can not calculate the exact value because u have to many unknown variables. All an addon can do is give u a valuation.

  10. #50
    Brewmaster durrtygoodz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The big UK
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    You're right Frost is easy, counting non crit fireballs and bitching about RNG is what it takes to make a spec hard.
    <3 this post

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Why would you need to know the exact damage your icicles are going to be doing? It's not like you will win a fight just because your icicles are going to be doing 167,345 damage instead of a predicted 150k. Besides, you shouldn't hold onto your icicles like that anyways in PvP.
    you never hold onto your icicles, but think about it for a second.

    ice lance with 5 icicles does il + each icicle.

    its the difference between 25k dmg and 50k dmg. blindly using icicles is BAD play
    i know it isnt currently possible, but trying to tell me to ignore a mechanic isnt going to fly with me. i havent been ignoring them for a while and its working out for me
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2014-06-03 at 04:49 PM.

  12. #52
    Then you haven't actually understood what he told you.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    Timings scale with haste, #aintnobodytrackinmyicicles
    NSA prolly is. /10char

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    you never hold onto your icicles, but think about it for a second.

    ice lance with 5 icicles does il + each icicle.

    its the difference between 25k dmg and 50k dmg. blindly using icicles is BAD play
    You try to control something that was meant to not be controlled.
    You comfort yourself in the idea that you can use Icicles very wisely, but remember that it's a passive.
    You can't throw a specific Icicle in a specific order, you can't choose to keep an Icicle for the next target.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    i know it isnt currently possible, but trying to tell me to ignore a mechanic isnt going to fly with me. i havent been ignoring them for a while and its working out for me
    I think 99% of the Frost mages ignore Icicles, would you say it's not working out for them ?

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post
    You try to control something that was meant to not be controlled.
    You comfort yourself in the idea that you can use Icicles very wisely, but remember that it's a passive.
    You can't throw a specific Icicle in a specific order, you can't choose to keep an Icicle for the next target.



    I think 99% of the Frost mages ignore Icicles, would you say it's not working out for them ?
    you def think wrong because if you dont keep track of ur icicles u will do badly. you cant expect big burst with flimsy shit icicles.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    you def think wrong because if you dont keep track of ur icicles u will do badly. you cant expect big burst with flimsy shit icicles.
    I don't keep track outside of a loose estimation and I don't do badly.

  17. #57
    what's an icicle?

    Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-06-04 at 08:28 PM.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    what's an icicle?
    /thread
    10chars

    Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-06-04 at 08:28 PM.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    I don't keep track outside of a loose estimation and I don't do badly.
    yeah thats what ive been going off of as well. like when im dpsing a really squishy priest, ill quickly swap and blast his mage friend to pieces with better icicles. idk if its just me but it does seem to make a difference. target swapping in arenas with the same idea also works wonders.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post
    You try to control something that was meant to not be controlled.
    You comfort yourself in the idea that you can use Icicles very wisely, but remember that it's a passive.
    You can't throw a specific Icicle in a specific order, you can't choose to keep an Icicle for the next target.



    I think 99% of the Frost mages ignore Icicles, would you say it's not working out for them ?
    id say that they should maybe start to keep notice because it DOES make a difference. you dont HAVE to use addons, but you cant say that they dont make a difference. why else would people want an addon to track it? i dont know or understand why theres so much hate for this. if you dont like it then dont reply to the thread. its basic as fuck.

    i mainly pvp and this thread was made for that purpose. if people mainly pve then comment in a pve mindset, it doesnt create any kind of discussion for whats actually being represented in the op. now please deal with your own personal issues of why you dont want or see the need to track icicles instead of derailing my thread. classic mmoc

    ON TOPIC... an estimation addon would probably be a better idea. similar to mybigignite.

    it has a threshold and when u go over the threshold number (say an above average stack of 5 contains 200k dmg for you. you can adjust the damage threshold to be bigger the stronger or more skilled you get.) it turns green and u know ur icicles are bigger than average. yellow is average, and red is switch targets nerd, because u are overlapping big icicles with small ones. you will always want big ones 100% of the time. you wouldnt have to worry about a true numerical value per say, because its impossible, but it would give u a way clearer representation of how much damage is stored for a decent target swap.

    would that be possible?
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2014-06-05 at 02:30 AM.

  20. #60
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    2,000
    No. Simply because it doesn't work. Pound through their defenses and sit on Ice Lance until they're over. You don't get better or worse Icicles depending on the target. You always get the same size, it just varies based on procs and crits. Final damage will depend on what the target has, something you can't predict.


    19:34:59> Itouch-Turalyon cast Dispersion.
    19:35:00> You began to cast Frostbolt.
    19:35:01> You cast Frostbolt Itouch-Turalyon.
    19:35:01> Your Frostbolt hit Itouch-Turalyon 4076 Frost. (Critical)
    19:35:01> You began to cast Frostbolt.
    19:35:02> Your Toxic Power applied You.
    19:35:02> Your Tempus Repit applied You.
    19:35:02> Jade Spirit faded You.
    19:35:03> You cast Frostbolt Itouch-Turalyon.
    19:35:03> You began to cast Frostbolt.
    19:35:03> Your Frostbolt hit Itouch-Turalyon 4991 Frost. (Critical)
    19:35:04> Your Multistrike hit Itouch-Turalyon 1664 Frostfire.
    19:35:04> You cast Frostbolt Itouch-Turalyon.
    19:35:04> Your Frostbolt hit Itouch-Turalyon 2383 Frost.
    19:35:05> Itouch-Turalyon Dispersion faded Itouch-Turalyon.
    19:35:05> Your Expanded Mind faded You.
    19:35:08> You cast Ice Lance Itouch-Turalyon.
    19:35:08> Your Ice Lance hit Itouch-Turalyon 10634 Frost. (Critical)
    19:35:08> Your Tempus Repit refreshed You.
    19:35:09> Your Icicle hit Itouch-Turalyon 32559 Frost.
    19:35:09> Your Icicle hit Itouch-Turalyon 39875 Frost.
    19:35:09> Your Icicle hit Itouch-Turalyon 19043 Frost.


    "Big ones" are simply int procs and crits.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2014-06-05 at 02:57 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •