Help Finding A Wow Like MMO That Has No Load Times & No Invisi-walls.

Hi all,

One of the things that I think most MMO's have missed when they have tried to copy the success of World of Warcraft is that in WoW the player is allowed the freedom to go where they want, to find a way up a hillside that wasn't intentionally there, to break the rules so to speak.

I also think the fact that WoW has very little load times and allows the player to cross entire lands without breaking them out of the game has been missed by developers as well.

I HATE the invisible walls in games such as Guild Wars and I hate loading screens, does anyone have any suggestions as to games like WoW but have these essential elements as well?

Thanks in advance, Mantrid.

Psst. WoW has a ton of invisible walls and load times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, you're going to be waiting a very long time then. I got over other MMOs having load screens (FFXIV) and can enjoy them without really breaking immersion, especially when they're only 1-2 seconds using an SSD. The world stays persistent regardless and that's enough for me.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by mantrid View Post
    I also think the fact that WoW has very little load times and allows the player to cross entire lands without breaking them out of the game has been missed by developers as well.

I HATE the invisible walls in games such as Guild Wars and I hate loading screens, does anyone have any suggestions as to games like WoW but have these essential elements as well?
    Guild Wars 2 maps are actually really easy to break out of because they're often so sloppily made, and the mobility from mounts have made map-breaking even easier. Dungeons also have map breaks after so many years because they're dead content, and the breaks are used in speed runs.

I agree though that the awful map separation with loading screens is pretty bad. It's like a glorified lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    Pssst. you can walk across entire continents with no load screens, you don't hit invisible walls where your character runs against NOTHING in place.

It's very hard to make a game without loading screens. It's more suitable for offline open-world games, but even they have loading now and then.

With that said, Rift is one of the games that is "similar" to oldschool WoW and has lots of open exploration. Until recently, there was a "Sticky Feet" bug that allowed to to basically wall-climb anywhere and it had been there for so long that most of us considered it a part of the game and fully intentional. However, it has been fixed. But even without Sticky Feet, you can still go a LOT of places that looks like they're not meant to be travelled. There are loading screens between continents, but once on a given continent, you can do a full run through everything without loading screens. There's instances here and there and, obviously, going into one of those will trigger a screen as well, but all in all Rift might fit your description pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Authary View Post
    EVE Online.
    You monster.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    It's very hard to make a game without loading screens. It's more suitable for offline open-world games, but even they have loading now and then.

With that said, Rift is one of the games that is "similar" to oldschool WoW and has lots of open exploration. Until recently, there was a "Sticky Feet" bug that allowed to to basically wall-climb anywhere and it had been there for so long that most of us considered it a part of the game and fully intentional. However, it has been fixed. But even without Sticky Feet, you can still go a LOT of places that looks like they're not meant to be travelled. There are loading screens between continents, but once on a given continent, you can do a full run through everything without loading screens. There's instances here and there and, obviously, going into one of those will trigger a screen as well, but all in all Rift might fit your description pretty well.
    Thanks, that sounds promising, will check it out.

I hear good things about a brand new game called Runescape...

Quote Originally Posted by Authary View Post
    EVE Online.
    It's a shame World of Darkness MMO got cancelled. I love the concept of EVE but it's a space MMO so meh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    I hear good things about a brand new game called Runescape...
    Runescape has a tiny map and all dungeons are separate from the world.

Pssst. you can walk across entire continents with no load screens, you don't hit invisible walls where your character runs against NOTHING in place.
    Yes, and you can do that in other games, too, if you also avoid all load screens and invisible walls along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    Not like on the scale of other MMOs. You have a loading screen for every single thing you wish to do and invisible walls barring you from going just about anywhere that doesn't have a path on it.

Lord of the Rings Online had what you're looking for,but the quality of the game sadly just isn't what it used to be at its peak

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Suggest-a-Game!

Please use the existing sticky for game suggestions/requests.